Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

This guy. Struggled in Q1. Was moved into the ruck and what seemed like an around the ground role and simply excelled.
Was a big reason why we gained the ascendency.

What a man.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Just immense this guy for a newly turned 21yo. Immense full stop. No ceiling, he completely ragdolled their rucks a few times. His play to get the ball to Lynch when he dropped the mark in the second term was, well it just doesn’t make sense that a footballer could do everything he did in that play so well, let alone at his age.

How many key position defenders have won a brownlow? However many are on that list (if any), Balta will be the next

I can recall:

Ross Glendinning.

Then there were Ron Clegg. Fred Goldsmith. Neil Roberts. Verdun Howell. Gordon Collis.

So mainly in the 50’s and 60’s, with Glendinning the most recent in 1978. Forty-two years ago.

Just doesn’t happen these days but Balta would have as good a chance as anybody who doesn’t play midfield or sweeper.

Moving him up the ground may well be the most significant match move Hardwick made to win us the match.

I wonder if this guy could be an undersized second ruck/on baller in the Adam Goodes mold? I'm not talking about a swingman, I'm talking about a genuine settled position of playing as a follower in the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was instrumental going forwards, dimma made a gutsy call. I've been saying for a while his natural position is up the ground or in the centre/help out Ruck. What a freakazoid
Given we had Astbury to go onto Hawkins it was not that hard to work out. But as you say, it did change the game as when Nank was resting, Balta was injecting energy and speed. Adding Bolton in there was equally effective as Geelong mid/rucks couldn't keep up.

Given we had Astbury to go onto Hawkins it was not that hard to work out. But as you say, it did change the game as when Nank was resting, Balta was injecting energy and speed. Adding Bolton in there was equally effective as Geelong mid/rucks couldn't keep up.
This is it, speed is the key. Balta learned a lot in defense, now he can play attacking and have his defensive skill to help him when he runs both ways. We need one more key defender to add to best 22. Allow Balta to play up the ground.

This is it, speed is the key. Balta learned a lot in defense, now he can play attacking and have his defensive skill to help him when he runs both ways. We need one more key defender to add to best 22. Allow Balta to play up the ground.

Ideally balta is most valuable as a key forward / chf

Lynch. Balta looks impressive if Noah can make it there

Otherwise looks a hell of a player back/middle

noah balta with his children

0588F480-7B15-49BF-8245-3476B97FDB4C.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back