Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope we re-sign Cumberland, but he had two very good games at VFL level (the last two), but was relatively poor before that time. To be honest, looked like the speed of the game was too much at VFL level. Let’s not get too carried away with this guy being better than Castagna who has at least two performed very well at the highest level.

As I said though, do we hope we give him one more year. I suspect for a lot of these guys (Biggie, Stack, Miller), the trade period finishing and the AFL actually finalizing the salary cap amount etc. will be the two barriers standing in the way of having extensions/ new contract being executed.
He only played about half a dozen marches so to dominate those games in patches after not playing for nearly 2 years was a pretty fair effort.

Definitely should be retained over other players who are supposedly getting contracts and in one case definitely shouldn't be getting a contract.

In saying that it would add or prove the story about us bidding on him to try and force Brisbane to use up their points so we could get the preferred target in Martyn.

a mate of mine played with him a bit at his junior club in Maroochydore, reckons he's a gun and a beast of an athlete. Hope we keep him

Exactly right

7th October
Noah Cumberland (Richmond)

“Tim Batty looks after Noah and Tim’s having constant conversations with Blair (Hartley) and the Richmond footy club.
“Noah’s been really impressive in the back-half of this year. We hope that he gets another opportunity at Richmond.

“We’d like to think there’s going to be an opportunity there, other clubs have inquired, but we’re just trying to keep dialogue open with Richmond to see where that lands over the next week.”

Delisted with the promise of re-selecting them in the rookie draft

Delisted with the promise of re-selecting them in the rookie draft
Hope he gets a chance with us , no guarantees he makes the level as a med forward , bit of a caddy type , worth a rookie selection though , crazy that you can’t offer a rookie contract rather than delist and re draft

Hope he gets a chance with us , no guarantees he makes the level as a med forward , bit of a caddy type , worth a rookie selection though , crazy that you can’t offer a rookie contract rather than delist and re draft

Agree with this

Last year you could just demote the player onto the rookie list due to list sizes being cut, List sizes have not increased yet clubs need to delist and rookie list these players. Bloody stupid as there are so many clubs now having to compromise their younger players to balance list

Agree with this

Last year you could just demote the player onto the rookie list due to list sizes being cut, List sizes have not increased yet clubs need to delist and rookie list these players. Bloody stupid as there are so many clubs now having to compromise their younger players to balance list

To be honest,the entire 'rookie' list idea has become joke & a tool to manipulate your list & cap. Drafting players, then cutting, then drafting them as a rookie is literally the opposite of what the word means. Geelong played a 30 year old Henderson in a GF after several years on their list as a rookie ffs. We had Chol as a rookie for half a decade. Its dumb

What a disgrace we keep a player like Aarts over this kid who hasn’t even been given a chance-and yes I know we will re rookie him but that’s not the point.
You realise Aarts has a contact and Noah doesn't? What do you propose? sack Aarts? trade him?
2020 Aarts wasn't bad. I actually saw a lot of games that year. In a team that was playing well. Fair enough he was rewarded with a couple of years. Promoted from the VFL team I think. 2021: The whole team looked crap this year. And I'm all for ditching whatever doesn't work. i.e. small forwards who guard space. List management has been a bit strange. I would not have renewed Parker. I would've moved Caddy on too. But, if they've retained spots I imagine Dimma sees some role for them.
Cumberland looks like a great footballer. has had his career stuffed by huge injury mid season and then COVID. I thought he looked good when drafted and when played this year. But he is out of contract and with Nyoun, delisted and I doubt both will return. I think Noah is the better footballer and is more likely to play senior football soon.

Last edited:
You realise Aarts has a contact and Noah doesn't? What do you propose? sack Aarts? trade him?
2020 Aarts wasn't bad. I actually saw a lot of games that year. In a team that was playing well. Fair enough he was rewarded with a couple of years. Promoted from the VFL team I think. 2021: The whole team looked crap this year. And I'm all for ditching whatever doesn't work. i.e. small forwards who guard space. List management has been a bit strange. I would not have renewed Parker. I would've moved Caddy on too. But, if they've retained spots I imagine Dimma sees some role for them.
Cumberland looks like a great footballer. has had his career stuffed by huge injury mid season and then COVID. I thought he looked good when drafted and when played this year. But he is out of contract and with Nyoun, delisted and I doubt both will return. I think Noah is the better footballer and is more likely to play senior football soon.
It's more the fact that they give a two year contract to a player that is borderline best 22-26. Seems quite short sighted especially when you consider the potential of players like Aarts vs Cumberland and Nyuon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's more the fact that they give a two year contract to a player that is borderline best 22-26. Seems quite short sighted especially when you consider the potential of players like Aarts vs Cumberland and Nyuon.

different players. Aarts supposed to be that small pressure forward. He needs to have a good year this year otherwise it’ll be a delisting. Some of his turnovers this year were an absolute joke. Literally hand passing it to the oppo from 5 meters away in dangerous areas.

Cumberland seems to be more that medium forward. Potentially more dangerous offensively. I haven’t seen what his closing speed is like. Hope it’s good and he can push Aarts for his spot.

It’s not us assessing the potential it’s our list management and coaches. Clearly don’t rate as highly as on this board or they wouldn’t have been delisted . What this says to me is that they have preferred targets thru the draft that these two. Wouldn’t surprise if another club had a crack at rookie either of these two before us , maybe not though ,there’s a few like Lonie or constable that’s will get attention

2020 Aarts played his role well. 14/17 games. 2 years was generous. 2021 the kryptonite stand rule looks like its f*ed us completely. Looks like the whole forward line barely functioned and I do not have Aarts in my best 26. Nor is Parker. And his spot could easily been freed up. Guys like Dunstan get delisted and picked up by the Premiers. Caddy could've found a home easily. Strange list decisions. The good draft hand we have was going to put pressure on guys who have not made senior appearance.

It’s not us assessing the potential it’s our list management and coaches. Clearly don’t rate as highly as on this board or they wouldn’t have been delisted . What this says to me is that they have preferred targets thru the draft that these two. Wouldn’t surprise if another club had a crack at rookie either of these two before us , maybe not though ,there’s a few like Lonie or constable that’s will get attention
What is suggests to me is that spots are few because we have a strong draft hand and we want to use 5 or 6 picks in the first 40. This has put pressure on young players who are developing. Biggy is some sort of athlete who looked pretty good in his last outing. Cumberland was about as impressive as you could possibly be coming of a knee reco. But 2 year contracts were given to players on the periphery, which I know in hindsight is easy to say, but we these decisions could come back to bite us. Would be very disappointed to lose either, but Cumberland in particular who I reckon could easily play a lot of games next year.

different players. Aarts supposed to be that small pressure forward. He needs to have a good year this year otherwise it’ll be a delisting. Some of his turnovers this year were an absolute joke. Literally hand passing it to the oppo from 5 meters away in dangerous areas.

Cumberland seems to be more that medium forward. Potentially more dangerous offensively. I haven’t seen what his closing speed is like. Hope it’s good and he can push Aarts for his spot.
Cumberland is explosive and some sort of athlete.

What a disgrace we keep a player like Aarts over this kid who hasn’t even been given a chance-and yes I know we will re rookie him but that’s not the point.

Clearly they rate some of the kids higher in the draft through that 30-50 range than Cumberland. Not a big deal for mine.

He was drafted at pick 43 himself which is always a long shot then add a knee reco to that. He's a long way behind even someone like Ralphsmith for potential games. Hopefully he's not picked up by another team either way.

That’s my point.
Aarts shouldn’t be on an AFL list- he’s simply not good enough.
Cumberland looks classy so I hope he can get a fair go and see what he’s got.

Clearly they rate some of the kids higher in the draft through that 30-50 range than Cumberland. Not a big deal for mine.

He was drafted at pick 43 himself which is always a long shot then add a knee reco to that. He's a long way behind even someone like Ralphsmith for potential games. Hopefully he's not picked up by another team either way.
I'd take Cumberland over Ralphsmith from what I've seen, sounds a tad arrogant, that I know more than the entire Richmond selectors!! but there is something about his speed, agility and aggression that is pretty unique. Ralphsmith has the speed and athleticism, but not sure about the footy nous yet.

Haven’t we seen enough of Aarts to know he’s not good enough. If he’s playing round 1 next year I’ll have little faith.

2020 Aarts played his role well. 14/17 games. 2 years was generous. 2021 the kryptonite stand rule looks like its f*ed us completely. Looks like the whole forward line barely functioned and I do not have Aarts in my best 26. Nor is Parker. And his spot could easily been freed up. Guys like Dunstan get delisted and picked up by the Premiers. Caddy could've found a home easily. Strange list decisions. The good draft hand we have was going to put pressure on guys who have not made senior appearance.

When you look back at the trade period and the fact that the there were higher potential players on considerably less coin than Caddy (Brander, Constable, Dumont, Sier, even Naish) that received no interest both as trade targets nor as delisted free agents, Caddy was extremely unlikely to find another home.

In terms of Aarts, I think the reason we signed him on when we did was as you said to start, in 2020 he played his role. You need that in players - even if they’re not best 26. The reality is that the ‘best 26’ shouldn’t be your litmus test anyway, as when you think on injuries, form, suspensions etc. you need more like a’best 30-32’.

The other element is that Aarts and Parker are both on the rookie list, whereas Cumberland was on the Senior list. We needed space on the Senior list (I believe due to the rookie list rules and time spent on there), so it’s equally about as much as keeping the likes of Stack and Pickett.

I don't get how the club states that Cumberland was close to getting senior games at the end of the season then they delist him and risk losing him in the rookie draft. It's not like he's commanding big dollars. He's had bugger all pre-season training or continuity and came off a serious injury to be pushing for seniors - a bloody impressive feat. Bizarre list management imo, should be locking him down.

Haven’t we seen enough of Aarts to know he’s not good enough. If he’s playing round 1 next year I’ll have little faith.
I don't like bagging players because it is not about them being not good enough or bad players, but more about other players being better. I really like Aarts as a player, gives his all and has some neat tricks, but I reckon his days as as small forward have gone. Maybe backup mid and think he will play a fair bit of VFL in there. I think Castagna will struggle also. Giving them 2 year contracts last year from memory seemed strange.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back