Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I’ve said this before, but Cumberland has had two good game at VFL level only.

He looked well out of his depth before that, and the speed of the VFL game caught him out more often than not.

Ralphsmith has shown more flashes at AFL level than Cumberland has at VFL level. Let’s not get carried away.
In fairness he was coming back from an ACL in a covid destroyed year. He finished strong which is a good sign. Keen to see what he can do with a full pre season.

Todd Elton say HI

remember one off season watching some training highlights and we had Tross, Gourdis and Angus Graham rocking around and I was thinking these guys are going to win us a flag

one out of three ain’t bad

He played a handful of games in the VFL all year with a 3 week covid layoff in between. He was off a reco and hadn't played since playing in Qld as a junior.
A few games in and he took a game apart. Not sure how much you expect from him, but you're a hard marker if you'd expect more. Was even mentioned as making a possible debut.

I'm a huge fan of his potential, hails from this region so I carry some bias perhaps, but even with that said and guessing you are referring to the game he kicked 5 in, you really should look at that game again - he was good, and one of the goals was AFL quality and another was very good - but he did not take the game apart. Odd perhaps for a 5 goal haul, but he would take it everyday. It helped his confidence no end!

Agree with the rest of the sentiment though, coming back from an ACL is never easy. Coming back under those circumstances where the conditioning opportunities would always be questioned, I think he has done remarkably well and definitely deserves another year or two. He has only ever known Covid while being at the Club - a first season injured and most teammates away in a hub in Qld. Then rehab, rehab and more re-hab he gets himself right to play a handful of games - kudos to the kid! He's a tough nut - but he is now amongst men.

To rookie him is the right call - the right support - in all the circumstances. If his knee is sound he is miles ahead of any fresh faced kid at picks 40ish.

I remember years ago a list manager was asked this question (cant remember who it was)

His answer was tht whilst its unspoken it usually played out this way and you give the team the opportunity to rookie the player but if they decide to take another player first then its open to taking him. which sounds fair

That is how it was explained to me as well and why Clubs announce it publically - that first rookie pick is the kicker and the risk though!

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
In fairness he was coming back from an ACL in a covid destroyed year. He finished strong which is a good sign. Keen to see what he can do with a full pre season.
Yep spot on which made what he did in those brief VFL performances even more encouraging.
I’d imagine it’d take a couple of preseasons or longer after an ACL to get full fitness and power back (or something close to it). Particularly for an explosive athlete.

Last edited:

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

Agreed. In fact any of the kids drafted in 2019 really deserve at least one more year. How can you possibly judge their development in two stuffed up years with no VFL? Crazy.

If they have shown themselves to be professional and committed they should be given 1 more year.

Agreed. In fact any of the kids drafted in 2019 really deserve at least one more year. How can you possibly judge their development in two stuffed up years with no VFL? Crazy.

If they have shown themselves to be professional and committed they should be given 1 more year.

it’s a brutal business. We aren’t allowed the development capability and financial capacity we once had in relation to the FD. I suspect we will see much more trading up of picks or going for established players for the foreseeable future. Picking a late third round player is going to be a stretch. I wonder if the AFL will start restricting rookie, supplemental and mid season options going forward.

Played well at vfl though hasn’t done much at sanfl sth Adelaide

Thanks Bo for the update - I always liked his bit of dare - looked a bit of a poor man's Daffy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RJKTiger

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
I’ve said this before, but Cumberland has had two good game at VFL level only.

He looked well out of his depth before that, and the speed of the VFL game caught him out more often than not.

Ralphsmith has shown more flashes at AFL level than Cumberland has at VFL level. Let’s not get carried away.

True & wise words

If it is true that Cumbo is antivax, then given today's announcement he's probably not getting redrafted.

I suspect eveything will be fine though.
He’s double vaxxed… no issue

King Cotch

Debutant
Sep 7, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Noah never nominated for the draft, and the window is now closed. The club who delisted the player can not then re-sign them as a DFA o it would be impossible for him to be put back on the senior list again, they can only rejoin via the draft or after they clear the drafts and can then join via the SSP eg Egg last year. So i dont think he will be coming back on the list and the anti-vax rumours might have had some truth to them because it all just seems a little odd for him not to nominate and continue his career.

Noah never nominated for the draft, and the window is now closed. The club who delisted the player can not then re-sign them as a DFA o it would be impossible for him to be put back on the senior list again, they can only rejoin via the draft or after they clear the drafts and can then join via the SSP eg Egg last year. So i dont think he will be coming back on the list and the anti-vax rumours might have had some truth to them because it all just seems a little odd for him not to nominate and continue his career.
Been some discussion around the forum lately,
One of our posters contacted him directly and has told us he is back on the primary list for us

King Cotch

Debutant
Sep 7, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Been some discussion around the forum lately,
One of our posters contacted him directly and has told us he is back on the primary list for us
Interesting, I didn't think it was possible for clubs to re-contract their own delisted players as DFA's.
Great news if true though, i really liked the look of him

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Interesting, I didn't think it was possible for clubs to re-contract their own delisted players as DFA's.
Great news if true though, i really liked the look of him
I'm guessing we changed our mind before his contract ended and resigned him, so technically he was never delisted. We just announced that we were going to.

At the time we neede room for six picks because we hadn't yet done the trade with Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back