Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm guessing we changed our mind before his contract ended and resigned him, so technically he was never delisted. We just announced that we were going to.

At the time we neede room for six picks because we hadn't yet done the trade with Collingwood.

This makes a lot of sense after that Collingwood pick swap, I had forgot about that. Great news! I think he could turn into a real player.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lol I literally looked at the rookie draft just then to see whether we selected Cumberland and came here to post a huge meltdown when I didn’t see his name.

Glad to hear that it was because he is on our primary list and does not need to be selected in the draft to remain with us

Noah Cumberland

R1 Vs Southport
14 Disposals, 2 Goals, 5 Marks, 6 Tackles, 3 Clearences, 6 Inside 50s, 90 VFL Ranking Points

R2 Vs Sandringham
13 Disposals, 1 Goal, 3 Marks, 5 Tackles, 2 Clearences, 3 Inside 50s, 56 VFL Ranking Points
+ 1 Hitout lol

R3 Vs Footscray
9 Disposals, 1 Goal, 2 Marks, 1 Tackle, 1 Clearence, 0 Inside 50s, 39 VFL Ranking Points

R4 Vs Carlton
N/A

R5 Vs Casey
N/A

12 Disposals a game
1.33 Goals a game
3.33 Marks a game
4 Tackles a game
2 Clearences a game
3 Inside 50s a game
61.66 VFL Ranking Points

Noah Cumberland

R1 Vs Southport
14 Disposals, 2 Goals, 5 Marks, 6 Tackles, 3 Clearences, 6 Inside 50s, 90 VFL Ranking Points

R2 Vs Sandringham
13 Disposals, 1 Goal, 3 Marks, 5 Tackles, 2 Clearences, 3 Inside 50s, 56 VFL Ranking Points
+ 1 Hitout lol

R3 Vs Footscray
9 Disposals, 1 Goal, 2 Marks, 1 Tackle, 1 Clearence, 0 Inside 50s, 39 VFL Ranking Points

R4 Vs Carlton
N/A

R5 Vs Casey
N/A

12 Disposals a game
1.33 Goals a game
3.33 Marks a game
4 Tackles a game
2 Clearences a game
3 Inside 50s a game
61.66 VFL Ranking Points

He was playing hurt in that rd 3 match. His first two games look decent enough at this level. Unsure how that translates to AFL level but would probably be negligent not to try to find out at some point this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1652246637627.png

Not sure this means anything at all. But Cumberland is a left foot small forward in his 3rd season who is going fine in the VFL team but is right on the margin for delisting at the end of this season. Clarke is a 1st year left foot small forward who seems to be pleasing the club and supporters with his early form.

I would not have even noticed it but it is the second time I have seen Cumbo looking daggers at Clarke. I think it was the VFL game against Footscray. Clarke burnt Cumbo who was on his own at the top of the square and blazed away at goal and missed. Cumbo gave him a fearful spray at that time with some pretty nasty facial expressions to go along with it.

Here Cumbo seems to be giving Judson the Steve Hocking look at the 2020 GF. The smiles on the other players faces and the expression on Judson’s face sort of suggest someone may have said something at Judson’s expense that he doesn’t find so funny.

Or it could be nothing of the sort and just a photo that gives a false impression. We will never know but fascinating to ponder what goes through player’s minds at times.

Last edited:
View attachment 1397640

Not sure this means anything at all. But Cumberland is a left foot small forward in his 3rd season who is going fine in the VFL team but is right on the margin for delisting at the end of this season. Clarke is a 1st year left foot small forward who seems to be pleasing the club and supporters with his early form.

I would not have even noticed it but it is the second time I have seen Cumbo looking daggers at Clarke. I think it was the VFL game against Footscray. Clarke burnt Cumbo who was on his own at the top of the square and blazed away at goal and missed. Cumbo gave him a fearful spray at that time with some pretty nasty facial expressions to go along with it.

Here Cumbo seems to be giving Judson the Steve Hocking look at the 2020 GF. The smiles on the other players faces and the expression on Judson’s face sort of suggest someone may have said something at Judson’s expense that he doesn’t find so funny.

Or it could be nothing of the sort and just a photo that gives a false impression. We will never know but fascinating to ponder what goes through player’s minds at times.
Might be reading too much into it perhaps.

Cumbo might give a spray or two when he plays, he seems a pretty aggressive type. He like all the young players on the list will be busting to get a crack higher up. Speaking of which, I wonder why he is being played so deep. He is quick, can take a grab and should be running around up the flanks a bit, but seems his role is forward pocket. He was drafted as a mid but is playing as an undersized deep forward, about the hardest spot on the ground to play, ask Sydney Stack. Some strange player development going on I think.

Noah Cumberland (seven tackles, five tackles, three goals)

"He hit the scoreboard which is really important in his role. I feel as though he can step up his defensive actions, which is a highlight of his game when he's firing on all cylinders.”

I will be a bit surprised if Noah is on our list next year, lack of defensive effort and intent is not going to cut it at the home of footy, the Swinburne. Still, long way to go….

He's obviously doing/not doing something that the coaching staff want him to work on.

I'm probably way off here, but he just looks like a natural footballer to me. He's solid, quick and has a real angry streak and I hope he puts it all together and goes to another level. I also really hope he does it while he's on our list.

He's obviously doing/not doing something that the coaching staff want him to work on.

I'm probably way off here, but he just looks like a natural footballer to me. He's solid, quick and has a real angry streak and I hope he puts it all together and goes to another level. I also really hope he does it while he's on our list.

Yep he has the tude for the game and the contest

Noah Cumberland (seven tackles, five tackles, three goals)

"He hit the scoreboard which is really important in his role. I feel as though he can step up his defensive actions, which is a highlight of his game when he's firing on all cylinders.”

I will be a bit surprised if Noah is on our list next year, lack of defensive effort and intent is not going to cut it at the home of footy, the Swinburne. Still, long way to go….
He's one of those players that play in their range, meaning he'll cover ground to get the ball, but no so much an opponent - his fitness is probably contributing to that as he is yet to get to his peak after so many injuries. His defensive actions can be brutal though.

He's one of those players that play in their range, meaning he'll cover ground to get the ball, but no so much an opponent - his fitness is probably contributing to that as he is yet to get to his peak after so many injuries. His defensive actions can be brutal though.

He is a year into playing off his ACL and I cannot recall any other significant injuries. I think he did miss a game this season with a knee niggle, so not sure if that is affecting him.

I wouldn’t write him off at this point but I think Cumberland has it all to do in order to stay on our list. Low pressure ground level forwards at AFL level need to be Dustin Martin these days or forget about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back