jc67

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Crows
G’day, I thought this joint would be the best to get a straight answer.
As it stands we can only have a max of 40 on the list (yeah?)
Yet total we could possibly have at the moment (4 picks, 2 used on upgrades) is 38(yeah?)

So my question is how do we get to 40? Are there extra picks given when everyone else is finished drafting??
Yes, I know we could just sit on 38.

If there are extra picks at the end,,, I’m wondering about this father son kerfuffle, and thinking the crows could still match an offer (using the 200 odd point discount) if Edwards slips anywhere beyond our pick 39???

Therefore thinking we can’t really him loose no matter what happens???

I realise this has probably been discussed already, somewhere, but it’s too hard to dig through and find an answer.
that was the reason I stopped visiting here btw (always some angry person saying “we’ve discussed on another thread, go find it”)

Thanks in advance

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

G’day, I thought this joint would be the best to get a straight answer.
As it stands we can only have a max of 40 on the list (yeah?)
Yet total we could possibly have at the moment (4 picks, 2 used on upgrades) is 38(yeah?)

So my question is how do we get to 40? Are there extra picks given when everyone else is finished drafting??
Yes, I know we could just sit on 38.

If there are extra picks at the end,,, I’m wondering about this father son kerfuffle, and thinking the crows could still match an offer (using the 200 odd point discount) if Edwards slips anywhere beyond our pick 39???

Therefore thinking we can’t really him loose no matter what happens???

I realise this has probably been discussed already, somewhere, but it’s too hard to dig through and find an answer.
that was the reason I stopped visiting here btw (always some angry person saying “we’ve discussed on another thread, go find it”)

Thanks in advance
We currently have picks #12, #39, #77 and #109. Four picks to fill our list.

I think That gets us to 38, and the 77 /109 are to be used on upgrades, not new cattle.
There was a double Dutch article in today’s paper that got me wondering if the club b was just being clever.

I think That gets us to 38, and the 77 /109 are to be used on upgrades, not new cattle.
There was a double Dutch article in today’s paper that got me wondering if the club b was just being clever.

The last 2 picks are used on upgrades. If we have 6 list vacancies prior to upgrade, we would have picks 12, 39, 77, 109, 110 and 111 (assuming 109 is the last pick in the draft currently). If we sign a DFA and 2 rookies, 109, 110, 111 disappears, etc. You will always be able to fill your list at the draft.

Edit: For example, West Coast were the only team to have a 6th round pick last year, and Geelong were the only team with a 7th round pick in 2015.

Thanks, that’s what I thought.
There’s a lot of misleading stuff about this, everywhere.
But we can draft a father son, if he slips low enough, because the discount for it is enough to match.
Other clubs would know this too, surely.

Incorrect. We have 4 list vacancies, so 4 picks.

If we go back to the old system, we'd be using #127 and #145 to upgrade Keath & Greenwood.

Thanks, that’s what I thought.
There’s a lot of misleading stuff about this, everywhere.
But we can draft a father son, if he slips low enough, because the discount for it is enough to match.
Other clubs would know this too, surely.
The club has said that they'll nominate him in the rookie draft, provided he isn't selected (by another club) in the ND or PSD.

This means that #12, #39, and (probably) #77 will all be "live" picks - not pre-allocated for the selection of a F/S player. We're probably going to pass with #109, going into 2018 with 39 on the senior list again.

If Edwards makes it through to the Rookie Draft, we will nominate him and he will be ours automatically. No bidding required - we just read his name out with our last selection in that draft (#53).

Thanks, am I right about Edwards then? We’ll get him using the discount only if he falls beyond our 39?
The club has said that they will be nominating him in the Rookie Draft, if he doesn't get drafted (by another club) in the National Draft.

We won't be nominating or drafting him in the National Draft. If another club selects him in the National Draft, then he won't be a Crows player in 2018. We won't be getting him with #12, #39, #77, or #109.

There are no discounts in the Rookie Draft. He'd be ours automatically, with our last pick in that draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club has said that they will be nominating him in the Rookie Draft, if he doesn't get drafted (by another club) in the National Draft.

We won't be nominating or drafting him in the National Draft. If another club selects him in the National Draft, then he won't be a Crows player in 2018. We won't be getting him with #12, #39, #77, or #109.

There are no discounts in the Rookie Draft. He'd be ours automatically, with our last pick in that draft.

I can't see him getting through the whole draft givne what I have read. Interesting.

Thanks, am I right about Edwards then? We’ll get him using the discount only if he falls beyond our 39?

We can only match a bid from another club, using a discount, if we nominate him as a father-son pick before the draft. If we don't, then it's open slather and anyone can take him at any pick and we don't get to "match".

So far the club has said only that they will take him as a rookie. They have not said anything about the National Draft itself, and the consensus here seems to be that they won't - that they will hope he slips through the ND and then we take him as a rookie.

Of course, we could take him, without nominating, in the ND using a low pick like 77 - provided no other club has taken him first - but IMO that seems unlikely.

To clarify... we can nominate him for the National Draft, or the Rookie Draft. One or the other, but not both.
  • If we nominate him in the National Draft, we get a 20% points discount if another club makes a bid in the first round, or a flat 197pt discount if the bid comes in a later round. If nobody bids, we would be forced to select him with our last "live" selection in the National Draft. He would then go onto our senior list.
  • If we nominate him in the Rookie Draft, we have no special rights in the National Draft. No discounts, no matching bids. If another club selects him, that's where he ends up. However, if he doesn't get selected in the ND or PSD, then he's guaranteed to be ours in the RD. We select him with our last pick in the RD, and he goes on our rookie list.
The club has stated that they intend to nominate him in the Rookie Draft, not the National Draft.

I would not assume yet that we won't nominate him for the national draft as a late pick, as we could still be weighing it up... particularly with 2 live late picks available & no signs yet of a DFA.

To clarify... we can nominate him for the National Draft, or the Rookie Draft. One or the other, but not both.
  • If we nominate him in the National Draft, we get a 20% points discount if another club makes a bid in the first round, or a flat 197pt discount if the bid comes in a later round. If nobody bids, we would be forced to select him with our last "live" selection in the National Draft. He would then go onto our senior list.
  • If we nominate him in the Rookie Draft, we have no special rights in the National Draft. No discounts, no matching bids. If another club selects him, that's where he ends up. However, if he doesn't get selected in the ND or PSD, then he's guaranteed to be ours in the RD. We select him with our last pick in the RD, and he goes on our rookie list.
The club has stated that they intend to nominate him in the Rookie Draft, not the National Draft.
No, the club has promised to take him at least as a rookie.

Whatever our intentions may be, it is clear the club does not rate Jackson as a must-have. I'd be surprised if he makes it through to the rookie draft, based on all the articles and phantom drafts I've seen. Pack your bags, Jackson. You ain't the first father/son to be overlooked by the father/son club, and you won't be the last.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back