AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - Back in the side against Sydney for 10 hitouts and a goal - 24/3

02 - draper.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2025
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 20, TheUnicorn

Last edited by a moderator:
**** time to do it too, it’s always best (least worst) to do one at the end of the season so you’re back for following pre season.

His 2020 season will be a bit of a write-off too, still be in the latter stages of recovery.
Unless he has it similar to Begley where he may be able to recover early enough to have a decent impact on the season.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
So what are you arguing about?

At the time I argued Clarke was good for our structure despite his supposed output. You said on what basis? Because we won? I said yes that's as good a scale as any.

Then Joe became fit , I said I'm hesitant to change working structure, tbell clearly plays better with a 50/50 chop out (that isn't Joe) that doseht suck from our fwd structure.

Anyhow joe comes in and plays well, you sarcastically said who would have guessed Joe was our best relief ruck... Why, because we won? ;P

Then yesterday you posted you thought Draper should have played instead of Francis because it leaves Joe fwd and helps our structure. The very structure I advocated for and was shut down.

I only ask for JD fwd and two rucks rotating 50/50 with stints fwd and bench.

No arguing or tit for tatting, we both want to win, well atleast I do, I have this sneaky feeling of late you revel in losses cause you get to prove points.

Laverde, Begley, Redman, Ridley and now Draper. Every time one of our younger guys start banging the door down for the senior team, life kicks it in their face. So s**t

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
If he is injured I can't help but wonder whether we are reaping what we sow. There is always a point that someone should be playing. We almost always wait. Injury becomes almost inevitable.

I suspect it is genuinely physiological. Players not on edge enough at a contest or trying too hard.

An example that comes to mind is the Allblacks before they started this dominant run. Wrapped up players in cotton wool in preparation for a world cup and they struggled with injury.

What exactly is the point of playing a player for a half basically telling him to save himself for an AFL match the next week?

Has Draper even looked like getting injured playing large game time on ball in his first 3 years? He rucked 90% game time in year 1.

Extremely weird post.

If he is injured I can't help but wonder whether we are reaping what we sow. There is always a point that someone should be playing. We almost always wait. Injury becomes almost inevitable.

I suspect it is genuinely physiological. Players not on edge enough at a contest or trying too hard.

An example that comes to mind is the Allblacks before they started this dominant run. Wrapped up players in cotton wool in preparation for a world cup and they struggled with injury.

What exactly is the point of playing a player for a half basically telling him to save himself for an AFL match the next week?

Has Draper even looked like getting injured playing large game time on ball in his first 3 years? He rucked 90% game time in year 1.
It’s a pretty freak injury Bruno.

Framing it in the context of whether he should have been playing seniors or magoos is frankly pretty weird.

They’re completely unconnected facets.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
It’s a pretty freak injury Bruno.

Framing it in the context of whether he should have been playing seniors or magoos is frankly pretty weird.

They’re completely unconnected facets.

Any chance to s**t on team selection no matter how much of a bow one has to draw.

We've since lost Mitch Brown and have no leading targets?

In any event, you seriously want to have an argument that Clarke in isolation is better than Daniher for our structure?

Well Draper wouldn’t have been the answer for leading target. I’d say he’s poor up forward and has been beaten two of last three weeks in the ruck.

As for injury from waiting, not like he’s been waiting that long considering raw base he came from. Good enough for guys like Gary O’Donnell and Roger Merrett. O’Donnell played 3-4 years in ressies before he got a chance.

Too much expectation on young blokes. Some even on here bagging 20 yo McGrath.

Damn it but really not surprised it's turned out to be serious, big guys doing that to a knee rarely plays out well.

Yeah people were saying small hyperextension. That had everything of an ACL and the next contest showed it.
Bloody tough of the kid to get up and walk it off.

The injuries are really starting to bite us. We are running out of players to put pressure on underperforming spots.

Silver lining is it happened before mid season draft.

Back