AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

Love this bloke. Probably just needs a yard more of pace but other than that, he's tracking exceptionally.

Love this bloke. Probably just needs a yard more of pace but other than that, he's tracking exceptionally.
A yard more pace? He is a 205cm and almost 110kg ruckman! Don’t think you wouldn’t find many other players that size moving as well as he does especially coming off an ACL.

A yard more pace? He is a 205cm and almost 110kg ruckman! Don’t think you wouldn’t find many other players that size moving as well as he does especially coming off an ACL.
Yeah look I wasn't bagging him or anything, that's just what I've noticed about his game.

Yeah I know you where wrapping him up but I still think that’s a weird observation on him.
I don't think it's weird considering you gave reasons for his pace so obviously I'm not the only one who notices it. I understand he's a big rig and still only easing back into the game so that's why. But as I said it's probably the only knock on him that I have....and his mullet could use some work. Other than that I'm super impressed.

Unless he pulls up sore, he just has to play every game for the rest of the year, form be damned.

He justs needs games, and with their ublikely to have another period as condensed as what we have just done he should be ok.
With 1 or 2 games to go I’d put him in cotton wool, massive pre season coming up for the lad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really really happy with his game and his endeavour. Think we have a gem here.

With 1 or 2 games to go I’d put him in cotton wool, massive pre season coming up for the lad.
Ah yes, because cotton wool is well known to develop a young players footballing ability and harden him for the rigours of the game.

Looking forward to his tap work as his timing improves. A player we can really build a midfield unit around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was a bit aghast about how much faith people were putting in this bloke before he’d even played a game. But it was totally justified.
You could just tell how good this kid was going to be from this early 2019 VFL form (pre knee). Regardless of level, when you've got it, you've got it. Boy oh boy does he have it. Such a good mix of athleticism, skill, attitude and aggressive attack on the footy. Once he gets his timing right, which will happen with more game time and training, I have no doubt he will become one of the premier ruckman in the comp.

Yeah look I wasn't bagging him or anything, that's just what I've noticed about his game.
It will come once he starts getting more games and training under his belt. Will never be quick but he is mobile and mobile is the key. Very few rucks are quick.

Love a ruckman that has natural aggression and can take a mark around the ground.
Also remember that they say ruckman take a while to mature and develop so he will only improve !.
I think you can see why St Kilda made him such a huge offer without him having played a senior game.

Only things I've seen that he needs to improve on are timing (often jumps too early in the ruck contests) and tap work. Both will improve with experience and confidence. Barring any unfortunate mishaps I think we've found our #1 for the next 10 years. He's aggressive, positions himself well, has good athleticism, can take a mark.

Only things I've seen that he needs to improve on are timing (often jumps too early in the ruck contests) and tap work. Both will improve with experience and confidence. Barring any unfortunate mishaps I think we've found our #1 for the next 10 years.
The tap work is there, just disconnected with the mids a bit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back