AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - Back in the side against Sydney for 10 hitouts and a goal - 24/3

02 - draper.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2025
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 20, TheUnicorn

Last edited by a moderator:

Eleven 38

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canucks, Cowboys, Renegades
Pretty sure the saints are talking to 700 players.

Anyway, he'd be crazy to leave and wed be crazy to let him leave. So he will re-sign.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
When will we see Draper play seniors I'm guessing not till the half way point of next season?

Well he did his ACL in what round 6 or thereabouts this year. Normally players may be fit to get back to VFL around that 11-12 month mark. So he may be fit for the start of the VFL season which is about AFL round 3. I'd be shocked if they'd bring him into to play seniors without at least 4 games under his belt and that's a minimum. Plus being a bigger guy and ACL's being uncertain, he might not necessarily be good to go on that timeline.

So I'd say if we get lucky he might be able to play seniors by roughly AFL round 8 or so but more likely after the bye and if we are really unlucky he might not play seniors at all if he gets complications or suffers from a range of other soft tissue type issues which are common coming back from ACL.

Good news, finally.

Essendon have warded off huge interest from St Kilda in young ruck prodigy Sam Draper as they move to sign him on a new multi-year deal.
The Herald Sun understands Draper will ignore a four-year deal from St Kilda to instead sign a deal that is expected to be as long as three season at the Dons.

The 203cm ruckman has made a commitment to stay at Essendon with negotiations close on a deal that will hand him crucial security as he comes off a May ACL tear.

Draper, a former defender and rising star in Adelaide soccer circles, had only played the game for a single season before being drafted by Essendon in the 2016 rookie draft.

But in his 2018 VFL season he had 40 hit-outs on seven occasions with three games of more than 60 hit-outs.

He had started the 2019 season in electric form before tearing his ACL in a contest against Geelong at the MCG.

Essendon has contracted ruckman Tom Bellchambers returning next year but their experiment with ex-Fremantle ruck Zac Clarke has been problematic with his form modest at best.

But Draper should be ready to resume by the start of next season as he pushes for an AFL debut.

St Kilda was prepared to offer as much as $1.4 million in guaranteed money and some lucrative incentives for him to cross town in a bold move to secure ruck depth.

But Essendon will hope it has re-signed a player who could be their first ruck for the next decade, with the Dons also in negotiations with Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti on a new contract.

He has interest from clubs including the Western Bulldogs and Carlton and while his best form has been exceptional he has only two goals in the club’s nine losses for the year.

The ruck market could be turbulent this off-season with Paddy Ryder, Sam Jacobs and Wylie Buzza all off contract and speculation about the future of Fremantle’s ruck set up.

Hird05

All Australian
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Glad we didn't let him go to the Saint lol. Awesome news. 2021 should be a better year...

Confirmed. 4 Year deal.

“It was an easy decision to sign on with the Bombers. I’m really committed to this football club in our pursuit for success. I’m thankful for the faith the Club has shown in me early in my career and I am looking forward to seeing what this group can achieve over the coming years.”

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Good news, finally.

Interesting comment re: Freo.

They have Sandi, Lobb, Darcy and Jones.
Anyone else i'm missing?

Draper is great to have around as a good prospect. I'd be keen on any of those latter 3 to come in (Lobb would be awesome given he can play fwd when not rucking).

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Interesting comment re: Freo.

They have Sandi, Lobb, Darcy and Jones.
Anyone else i'm missing?

Draper is great to have around as a good prospect. I'd be keen on any of those latter 3 to come in (Lobb would be awesome given he can play fwd when not rucking).

What does it say? Pay wall/

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
What does it say? Pay wall/
Speculation about their ruck setup.
"The ruck market could be turbulent this off-season with Paddy Ryder, Sam Jacobs and Wylie Buzza all off contract and speculation about the future of Fremantle’s ruck set up."

I don't know what or how much water needs to go under the bridge to get Ryder back. Or if he's worth it in the grand scheme of things

If Lobb/Darcy became available - i'd be keen. Particularly Lobb, because he's a decent forward target too and i can see both Draper and Lobb in the same team.

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
Massive signing. If he recovers okay, he's our #1 ruck for 8-10years.

Hopefully playing AFL by about round 10-12 next year, and plays the best part of the 2nd half of the year. Means we need Bellchambers to play the best chunk of those first 10-12 rounds. Let's be realistic, that's not likely.

Need to target someone who is capable of being a 1st ruck for 3-4 games potentially next year. The Zac Clarke role on the list...but not Zac Clarke. Jacobs would be my choice. Would offer 2 years.

Speculation about their ruck setup.
"The ruck market could be turbulent this off-season with Paddy Ryder, Sam Jacobs and Wylie Buzza all off contract and speculation about the future of Fremantle’s ruck set up."

I don't know what or how much water needs to go under the bridge to get Ryder back. Or if he's worth it in the grand scheme of things

If Lobb/Darcy became available - i'd be keen. Particularly Lobb, because he's a decent forward target too and i can see both Draper and Lobb in the same team.

Lobb just went there why would he be leaving after 1 year? Sandi is about to retire and with Hogans future in doubt they will wanna hold onto Lobb desperately. Darcy is also required by them unless he wants to leave for some reason? Is he a melb boy?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lobb just went there why would he be leaving after 1 year? Sandi is about to retire and with Hogans future in doubt they will wanna hold onto Lobb desperately. Darcy is also required by them unless he wants to leave for some reason? Is he a melb boy?
ex-Geelong boy if memory serves.

Back