AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - Back in the side against Sydney for 10 hitouts and a goal - 24/3

Remove this Banner Ad

02 - draper.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2025
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 20, TheUnicorn

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep forgetting how tall he actually is. 203cm, and at his age he still has some growing to do.

This is a huge win for us considering how s**t things have been as of late. Get him up here I wanna boof him!

Keep forgetting how tall he actually is. 203cm, and at his age he still has some growing to do.

This is a huge win for us considering how s**t things have been as of late. Get him up here I wanna boof him!

I'll take whatever positives we can get.

I'd totally missed this as I've been ignoring the club due to not wanting to see the injury report

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Lobb just went there why would he be leaving after 1 year? Sandi is about to retire and with Hogans future in doubt they will wanna hold onto Lobb desperately. Darcy is also required by them unless he wants to leave for some reason? Is he a melb boy?

I'd say the Dockers thing is about whether Sandi continues and there are murmurs about Darcy coming home or that there is interest from Melbourne (which do not seems to be particularly strong).

Lobb was signed to play mainly forward, though they have 3 other good to very good tall forwards.

Maybe Lobb rucking is the best balance. He can be elite as demonstrated by the bath he gave Grundy this year.

They've got Jones, who's a monster, and another lump, Lloyd Meek.

Darcy might actually be gettable, having gotten to this point of my post.

From what I understand of his game, and interest we had in his draft year, I'd make an offer for Meek. Get's to come home and a few years to demonstrate he is good enough to have a career.

Bellchambers, Draper, Meek and then Bowman would be a really solid 4 ruck options for the long term (though Bowman is more long term because he's a bit undersize and someone I'd be looking at as a forward/ruck).

Honestly, not surprised in the slightest that Draper has signed. Nothing about the move raised alarm bells.

Saints have Marshall, Longer, Bruce and Max King so opportunity was always going to be tight. Draper is the clear successor here who will be called on as the number 1 in the next 18 months.

The money was only ever just enough to get Draper's manager to take a call (I.e. $425 a year is only just on the going rate to get young quality). We rate Draper and were always going to provide equivalent job security.

I'd say the Dockers thing is about whether Sandi continues and there are murmurs about Darcy coming home or that there is interest from Melbourne (which do not seems to be particularly strong).

Lobb was signed to play mainly forward, though they have 3 other good to very good tall forwards.

Maybe Lobb rucking is the best balance. He can be elite as demonstrated by the bath he gave Grundy this year.

From what I understand of his game, and interest we had in his draft year, I'd make an offer for Meek. Get's to come home and a few years to demonstrate he is good enough to have a career.

Bellchambers, Draper, Meek and then Bowman would be a really solid 4 ruck options for the long term (though Bowman is more long term because he's a bit undersize and someone I'd be looking at as a forward/ruck).

Honestly, not surprised in the slightest that Draper has signed. Nothing about the move raised alarm bells.

Saints have Marshall, Longer, Bruce and Max King so opportunity was always going to be tight. Draper is the clear successor here who will be called on as the number 1 in the next 18 months.

The money was only ever just enough to get Draper's manager to take a call (I.e. $425 a year is only just on the going rate to get young quality). We rate Draper and were always going to provide equivalent job security.

If Darcy is gettable we should be having serious look at getting him. I personally would make it our number 1 priority with Tbells age and Draper coming off a knee reco. Draper may be earmarked as no 1 going forwadd but some internal competition and quality back up would be a good thing for us whichever player that ends up being.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

The hardest part for Fremantle is the 1 - 3 ruck guys are all ready to play AFL. It's just hard fitting them in when an outside option (as you spotted, Lobb being a KPF) is also being used as a first choice ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
If going for a Fremantle ruck, you'd push that little bit harder and get Darcy, surely?

He's shown he can match it at AFL level

Too expensive and I'm backing Draper to be the man.

Want a Zeljko Kalac to hang around as something approaching a permanent understudy.

Draper would have Darcy covered as a player. At the rate he is bulking up he has all of the grunt with infinitely better mobility.

Also think Geelong will come calling for Darcy as has been mentioned by others.

Last edited:
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Too expensive and I'm backing Draper to be the man.

Want a Zeljko Kalac to hang around as something approaching a permanent understudy.

Draper would have Darcy covered as a player. At the rate he is bulking up he has all of the grunt with infinitely better mobility.

Also think Geelong will come calling for Darcy as has been mentioned by others.

This is where the idea of Zac Clarke was good in theory. To provided depth in this department whilst not holding back the development of Sam.

I would love Paddy Ryder for 2 years, doubt it ever happens but what a return it would be.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
This is where the idea of Zac Clarke was good in theory. To provided depth in this department whilst not holding back the development of Sam.

I would love Paddy Ryder for 2 years, doubt it ever happens but what a return it would be.

Clarke definitely good in theory.

Just a shame that no one watched him play to understand the reality before signing him.

As mentioned above it boggles the mind that he played 2 games befor Draper did his knee including at least 1 with TBC.

At a time where are clearing out every role to build a department to do the coaches job for him, lets not forget how bad Worsfold's judgment has been and how much of a handbrake he has been on the development of the team in his first two seasons.

You want depth, a good way to develop it is to play your talented players in 2018 and 2019 when the team's brand is not a finals brand and everyone outside the club seems to know it.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Clarke definitely good in theory.

Just a shame that no one watched him play to understand the reality before signing him.

As mentioned above it boggles the mind that he played 2 games befor Draper did his knee including at least 1 with TBC.

At a time where are clearing out every role to build a department to do the coaches job for him, lets not forget how bad Worsfold's judgment has been and how much of a handbrake he has been on the development of the team in his first two seasons.

You want depth, a good way to develop it is to play your talented players in 2018 and 2019 when the team's brand is not a finals brand and everyone outside the club seems to know it.

Just on this

Was thinking today, the games that Dea, Baguley, McNeice have gotten this year really should have been given to Ridley, Mutch, Begley even

Just on this

Was thinking today, the games that Dea, Baguley, McNeice have gotten this year really should have been given to Ridley, Mutch, Begley even
Dea hasn't played a game this year

Jun 13, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Would it be right to say that 4 years was necessary due to the fact that we don't have much money in the cap?
So pay most of the contract in years 3 and 4. Or is it just trying to match the Saints contract length so he doesn't leave?

Wow 4 years, how many AFL games has he played again? 2 years shoul have been enough.

2 years means he’s running around for the Saints next year.

He’s our project, he’s our future, there is absolutely no doubt he’ll be on the list in 4 years time anyway, all the length of the deal does is show how highly we rate him and give him security in his role.

I really hope that Bellchambers has a couple more years left, he’s perfect for that experienced senior pro role and he’s a genuine stud tap ruckman, will be massive for Draper to have a good big man around him while he continues to learn. Have to remember that he’s in his 4th year of any kind of footy.

Back