AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch this space if Leuey follows the lead of tommy Bellchambers.

Draper could be in for some early game time (given leuey's pre-2016 injury history)

Thinking the same, Leuenberger not known for having a healthy run at it.

Would need to be a LTI to someone, we have no room to promote rookies

I'm sure Bellchambers will be out all year, always 'has a problem', but is always 'ready for a big pre-season'.

I'm sure Bellchambers will be out all year, always 'has a problem', but is always 'ready for a big pre-season'.

Geez, think we can afford to be slightly more optimistic than this. Sure, the last few years haven't filled me with heaps of confidence but he will be back running in 4 weeks, not a serious injury. Hope you're wrong

Geez, think we can afford to be slightly more optimistic than this. Sure, the last few years haven't filled me with heaps of confidence but he will be back running in 4 weeks, not a serious injury. Hope you're wrong
He'll be back training in 4 weeks yes, but they said it'd be 8 weeks before he might be available to play again.

Few rucks out of contract at the end of the season: Reilly O'Brien (ADE), Brodie Grundy (COLL), Keegan Brooksby (GCS), Matthew Flynn (GWS), Tom Hickey (STK), etc.

If Luenberger were to go down with an injury we are truly screwed, at least until Bellchambers is ready to play, and that seems to be about rd 4 or 5 at best, given no training, a cleanup op, recovery, some training and a few VFL games.
Draper is not even a possibility, given no training still due to tendinitis, plus he is a rookie and no LTI.
McKernan is the closest to an option, but he is a rookie and would require a LTI. It can't be Bellchambers as that would condemn him to not playing within the first 12 wks of the season (rd 11?).
I can't see any other options.

If Luenberger were to go down with an injury we are truly screwed, at least until Bellchambers is ready to play, and that seems to be about rd 4 or 5 at best, given no training, a cleanup op, recovery, some training and a few VFL games.
Draper is not even a possibility, given no training still due to tendinitis, plus he is a rookie and no LTI.
McKernan is the closest to an option, but he is a rookie and would require a LTI. It can't be Bellchambers as that would condemn him to not playing within the first 12 wks of the season (rd 11?).
I can't see any other options.
Yes, we still really need more stock in the ruck. Draper was a step in the right direction, but a speculative step for a long-term pay-off.
Stewart is being overrated a bit around here, in terms of his ruck capacities (reading his profile over on the giants board is pretty instructive). Smack is a part timer at best. Joe should go nowhere near the ruck. Ambrose is about ten inches too short, and is much better down back anyway.
I really hope Luey holds together!

He'll be back training in 4 weeks yes, but they said it'd be 8 weeks before he might be available to play again.

Yeah but that was my point, we're 8 weeks away from the start of the real season, if he may be available to play in 8 weeks then it's a bit drastic to say that he won't play a game all year.

Either way, it is a massive concern that we are relying on Leunberger to be injury free for the start of the season at least. Not many other sides have more than 4 ruck men on the list though, just terribly unlucky if none are fit to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back