AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

As a former central defender his lateral movement will be good and he'll be a good tackler when his opponent are running towards him, He'll naturally watch the hips as he's been taught that his whole soccer career. His vertical jump would have to be good as well contesting in the air with his head, Now he can use his arms. :)

Understanding a game plan and improving awareness shouldn't be hard either as being a center back you need to be aware of all dangers in front of you while organizing the team, Center backs and Goalkeepers are often the best leaders in soccer and this is instilled in kids from an early age.

Like Basketball I think Soccer qualities will translate into AFL footy easily.

I'm excited to watch him develop.
Should be able to stick a leg out too, we've been missing that since Fletch moved on.

I wonder what Dodoro ever saw in him, didn't he spend most of the season in the VFL reserves?
Think he played 7-8 games in the seniors. Was literally the worst player ever to pull on an Essendon Jumper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly can't believe he's only 18. For the way he handles the ball, kicks and marks, you'd expect him to have been playing since grass roots yet its only been 9 months. There is so much potential in this kid, could honestly become anything

The alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

"Round 18: Sam Draper (South) The ruckman chalked up 37 hit outs to go with his 15 disposals and four clearances in the Panthers' upset win against Sturt."

mental stats for a first year player to the game playing sanfl

Keep him on the rookie list for 2 years and then trade him to the crows for a pick upgrade and watch him become a gun. Oh wait, we did that already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back