AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

He's such a beast. Summed up perfectly by Zach Package, I think it was, as 'Drape-Daddy'.

I love the way he's such a factor at ground level at stoppages. There is almost a naivety about the way he throws himself around like it was never drummed in to him not to take it upon himself to use the ball under pressure because thats not what Ruckmen are for.

Last edited:
I call him Drape daddy because he’s got old man game in an athletic frame.

His ruck craft will obviously continue to improve but the style of game he plays bodes well for a long career with little reliance on athleticism.

Screw Preuss, Roughead or Zac Clarke.

This kid needs to be number 2 ruck for us next year behind TBC.

If we can sign Leuey to a 1 yr deal and convince him to be No 3 and tutor Sam, this kid is going places

This is the first year in ages that TBC played almost every game uninjured. Histiry says that Draper will get a chance ned ct year to show his wares.

If we can sign Leuey to a 1 yr deal and convince him to be No 3 and tutor Sam, this kid is going places

This is the first year in ages that TBC played almost every game uninjured. Histiry says that Draper will get a chance ned ct year to show his wares.

It's been a while since I've seen him ruck against someone who is AFL standard and Lynch was certainly not that.

Draper still gets outbodied by the bigger guys and better technicians. The match-up against Soldo next week will give a good indication of where he is at because Soldo is massive and a reasonable technician.

At the risk of being overly repetitive on the point, even if we were to look at him as the number 2 next year I'd still love to have Leuenberger on the list as cover for the first half of the year. If Draper gets to play another 3 games and pulls apart his opponents, he's probably ready to genuinely be the number 2.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most pleasing thing about today was the direction he had in the ruck contest. Genuinely tried to direct it towards his team mates at every opportunity. His 16 possessions is the result of a growing understanding of the game. 4 tackles a nice little added bonus to the growing confidence he has to throw that big 203cm/105kg frame of his.

Agree signing Luenberger for the extra year is the preferred outcome but if he chooses to retire a bargain price 3rd ruck is needed for depth imo.

If there's one thing about him that stands out is that he's got natural competitiveness and that he's really capable of doing anything that a good ruck can do but he doesn't yet do it all the time. One area where he is truly exceptional is his ability to pick the ball off the deck for his size. His disposal is still a bit hit and miss even though when he's on it can be very good.

He'll be ready for AFL if we need him next year. I actually think it would be a shame if he didn't play at least a few games at the next level.

What a ripper we have here, great game yesterday. Surely good enough for some game time next year.
Why buy a gun and not fire it ?
Why buy a pie and not eat it ?
Why have a mistress and not sleep with her ?
Don't hang Drapes up too long, tHEy made fade ?

Potential is obvious, things to work on are contested marking and kicking when under pressure. Only his 3rd year of footy but if he can work on those skills in pre season and improve them then I think he will get senior games.

Someone said he’s like Max Gawn, maybe? I’m thinking more like Sauce Jacobs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back