Rookie 38. Sam Durdin

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve done really well last year with Lewis Young (traded in for the Pick 52 we got for SPS) and Sam Durdin (MSD), if Sam comes in and does well.

Hopefully when Jacob Weitering comes back, we can say that we have another good depth option in Sam Durdin on the list.

Smart strategic selection.

Watch him poll coaches votes in the drubbing of *.

He plays down back. I don’t imagine the midfield will allow Sam to see much of the ball to poll votes. :p

Coach Number 1: “What about Sam Durdin? He didn’t see the ball a lot tonight but what an awesome ‘stache.”

Coach Number 2: “Okay, 3 votes”……...

7931b80dd279933fd724b8dff23cf39f.png

disappointed. but it's okay, 38 is cool too. I guess.

We’ve done really well last year with Lewis Young (traded in for the Pick 52 we got for SPS) and Sam Durdin (MSD), if Sam comes in and does well.

Hopefully when Jacob Weitering comes back, we can say that we have another good depth option in Sam Durdin on the list.
Honestly from the outside looking in your recruiting since Teague left has been elite; cerra was always a no brianer but young and hewett have been astute pick ups, I reckon motlop has shown plenty so far too and is gonna make jack martin very nervous if he keeps improving. Small sample size but hard to see durdin not working out for you, clearly your list management guys know what they're doing, wonder what that's like

At a minimum, it means Charlie curnow and Harry can train against a key back.

I hope it amounts to much more than that though.

What? When? No he didn’t.
Well I'm not sure that he specifically played 3rd tall, but he played alongside OMac and Gov in the Melbourne game.
Had 15disp at 80ish%, 7 intercepts, 7 R50s, 8 spoils.

Regardless of what role he played in that game, my answer to whether he could play with Weiters and Durdin is still a yes, IMO.

Very curious to see how this plays out.

What North did with Durdin and even McKay was weird. They waited far too long to play both. It was something like a combined total of about 10 games in a combined 8 to 10 years on the list at one point. Pure madness for picks between 15 and 20 (if I recall correctly).

McKay started horribly but got a run in 2020 to find the speed of the level and he did.

Durdin was not so fortunate. He had a run in 2019 during which he looked okay but then injury hit and he could barely move by the time he got a look in 2020.

I reckon that injury in 2020 is what cost him in the end. It would not surprise me to see him become a regular.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What North did with Durdin and even McKay was weird. They waited far too long to play both. It was something like a combined total of about 10 games in a combined 8 to 10 years on the list at one point. Pure madness for picks between 15 and 20 (if I recall correctly).

McKay started horribly but got a run in 2020 to find the speed of the level and he did.

Durdin was not so fortunate. He had a run in 2019 during which he looked okay but then injury hit and he could barely move by the time he got a look in 2020.

I reckon that injury in 2020 is what cost him in the end. It would not surprise me to see him become a regular.
Doing similar with Comben atm…

Doing similar with Comben atm…

Yeah there is a question or 2 to be asked.

Don't take McDonald but play Comben alongside Larkey and at least it looks like a plan.

But then you throw in the recruiting and non-use of Edwards, picking up CCJ and refusing to trade Xerri and you're left with:

Comben, Edwards, CCJ and Xerri doesn't fit into 2 spots.

4 guys whose best position is or could be the ruck. It's a weird way to build a list.

Last edited:

North were challenging for finals in the years Durdin and McKay were drafted. They weren't playing any kids (Scott Brother TM).

North had the oldest and most experienced list in the league in each of those two players' first seasons (partially skewed by Boomer Harvey - no joke).

By the time North realised it needed a rebuild at the end of 2020, they cut and they cut hard.

At that stage Durdin was unproven, partly because North had not played kids. He got injured at an inopportune time IIRC and they put him in the too hard basket. Especially with a younger option in McKay around.

Durdin never proved himself or really got going, but he was not given much of a chance either. By the time North started playing kids, he'd used up his chance. I think it was just crappy timing all round.

Comben, Edwards, CCJ and Xerri doesn't fit into 2 spots.

4 guys whose best positions are or could be the ruck. It's a weird way to build a list.

AND then proceed to play Goldstein every match last year and every match so far this year...

AND then proceed to play Goldstein every match last year and every match so far this year...

Looks like Goldstein has missed 10 matches in the past 13 seasons... That's incredible!

Wish we had that kind of durability from any of our players (not called Simpson), let alone a KPP...

Looks like Goldstein has missed 10 matches in the past 13 seasons... That's incredible!

Wish we had that kind of durability from any of our players (not called Simpson), let alone a KPP...
I haven't seen Simpson line up for a couple of years

I envisage it will take time for him to fit into the game plans and our setups, etc. - if at all.
All we need him to do is compete, defend 1v1, punch when caught behind, contest and bring the ball to ground.
Anything more is an advantage until Weitering returns.

North's list management has been horrible for some time...big reason they're in their current situation.

IIRC 2020 was an absolute shitshow for North in the hubs under Shaw. Not a happy group.

I do think Durdin has to wear some of the blame though...Mckay came through around the same time and he's a gun now.

Durdin in recent interviews seems to accept his delisting was fair enough...he said that he'll give his best 'this time' which implies he didn't at North. Also said his time at Glenelg was the most fun he's had in footy, implying he didn't have a good time at North. I think our culture and coaches could get the best out of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back