Player Watch #38: Steven Morris

A very obvious answer to your question.
What changed? NOTHING! Absolutely nothing!

Cap on subs, stricter oob interpretation, less reliance on possession footy

Wrong to say footy is the same

mattt

Club Legend
Apr 28, 2014
Brunswick, VIC.
AFL Club
Richmond
He'll be 29 in December.

A few have gone past him in the pecking order, and thankfully we've been without injuries to most of our regular back six.

Love his endeavour, but it's not looking great for Morro.

Concatenate

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
delistings will be interesting as am sure we will draft the minimum 3 , as the draft is pretty shallow. We will use the 2 first rounders and Naish and promote the rookies like Castagna.

NimFromSudan

Club Legend
Mar 14, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Craig McRae mentioned during his speech at the JDM night that Morro had signed on to the VFL team for 2018. I'd assume this means he was de-listed. We'll get an announcement tomorrow you'd think. Hopefully he's captaining the VFL and/or a development coach for the side as well.

If he is delisted, happy to have him in the VFL side. Great professional and will be a good mentor for the younger players.

Still one of my faves. If only his ill fated time as Jake King's defensive forward replacement was this season as part of the mosquito fleet. Always played with ferocity, tenacity and nothing left in the tank.

Dec 18, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Would want hunt delisted first. I'd think hunt, hampson, maric, elton would go before him. Perhaps a re-rookie depth candidate.

Edit: add to that Yarran, and there's probably enough list changes already that he survives another year.

Lennon too. I’d keep Hampson. Need backup up if Nankervis goes down.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Who gave him 2 votes in the Adelaide game? Incredible as he never played a game afterwards yet according to the votes he was in our best.
I m a bit pissed off that he’s playing in our vfl team as he was pathetic in the GF and was only behind Lennon and Maric as the worst player on the ground.
I’m being positive here and truly believe he’s a list clogger at vfl level.

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
Who gave him 2 votes in the Adelaide game? Incredible as he never played a game afterwards yet according to the votes he was in our best.
I m a bit pissed off that he’s playing in our vfl team as he was pathetic in the GF and was only behind Lennon and Maric as the worst player on the ground.

I believe every player gets a rating between 0-5 for each game depending on contribution. Hence Dusty got something like seven or eight fives. Still, they rated Morris' effort v Adelaide as 2-5 .... mind-boggling. He'd get a charity vote for adhering to team plans/structures in thta he was stupidly made a defensive forward, but even getting one vote for what he produced astounds.
BTW ... it is possible to get 0 if you offer no worth.

Tony Stark

Club Legend
Oct 12, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I believe every player gets a rating between 0-5 for each game depending on contribution. Hence Dusty got something like seven or eight fives. Still, they rated Morris' effort v Adelaide as 2-5 .... mind-boggling. He'd get a charity vote for adhering to team plans/structures in thta he was stupidly made a defensive forward, but even getting one vote for what he produced astounds.
BTW ... it is possible to get 0 if you offer no worth.
He had about 5 clangers in that game, must have got one vote for turning up and the other for not getting injured.

May 23, 2010
Leafy Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Richmond

You have just about run out of people to pot. No wonder your frequency has dried up.

Pot Morris and pot the people who voted for him, in one game. FFS. Do some serious analysis on why he may have got 2 votes...out of a possible, how many?

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
You have just about run out of people to pot. No wonder your frequency has dried up.

Pot Morris and pot the people who voted for him, in one game. FFS. Do some serious analysis on why he may have got 2 votes...out of a possible, how many?
the analysis has been done by all of us who watched the game. We were generous enough to have him down for five Clangers from his 8 possession game.
Sadly why did he never return if his game was as good as you’re suggesting l it was?Also why was he then delisted from the senior list after this magnificent one game?PMSL
Xxxx off troll

Last edited:
Before him doin his knee and before he was tried as a lone defensive forward, a system that failed, he was about the only bloke you knew would lay a tackle that would have the oppo looking over their shoulder, maybe he played the body more often than the ball cause his intent was better than his skills but for a couple of years I wished that all our boys tackled and played like him.
They do now..
He brought it again against the hawks in the vfl game in the second half when they were trying to come back and it helped us make the grannie. It's awesome that we've got class players in the twos pushing for selection but a lot of em are receivers, we need blokes like him to set the standard for younger guys, the old
"You wanna be a tiger?? You have to play like a tiger"
Towno winning the medal is a great example for kids coming thru and so is this bloke I reckon.
He plays for the jumper.

Back