Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - 3rd in the AFL for clearances after 3 rds - X is a top ? ruck in the competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Listening to CCJ interview he sees himself as a ruck forward. Would be surprised if he came to us to become a fwd ruck.Anyway time will tell.
Pretty sure its been documented by noble and co that we got him in to help goldy out in ruck duties while playing forward.

I think it’s goldy a final year next year at 34

stagger retirements etc
We have ready made replacements from 2023 to be long term players for us in CCJ and Xerri plus Edwards

Not something I’d like to see happen but it might be good if Goldy missed some games this year so we can see what the Xerri / CCJ combo looks like.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not something I’d like to see happen but it might be good if Goldy missed some games this year so we can see what the Xerri / CCJ combo looks like.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Xerri definitely needs some game time in the ruck. Resting Goldstein occasionally might help with his longevity as well. With a fit Comben, CCJ coming in and even Edwards potentially getting a look in at some stage, I can’t see Xerri playing that Forward/ruck.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think it’s goldy a final year next year at 34

stagger retirements etc
We have ready made replacements from 2023 to be long term players for us in CCJ and Xerri plus Edwards

CCJ, Xerri and Edwards are not ‘ready made’ replacements, they have proven nothing in the ruck at AFL level. I think phasing Goldstein’s minutes down over the next 2-3 years is the way to go. If he is still playing as well as he is now at the end of next year, it would be insanity to retire him. Plus we don’t have many older players to stagger with retirements. Goldstein is really the only older player that would leave a hole in our side.

CCJ, Xerri and Edwards are not ‘ready made’ replacements, they have proven nothing in the ruck at AFL level. I think phasing Goldstein’s minutes down over the next 2-3 years is the way to go. If he is still playing as well as he is now at the end of next year, it would be insanity to retire him. Plus we don’t have many older players to stagger with retirements. Goldstein is really the only older player that would leave a hole in our side.

Goldy was slowing down in the second half of the year and losing to some fairly average rucks

having a 35 year old Goldy is not smart long term thinking from 2023 especially if it loses us xerri

2023 should be CCJ and Xerri in tandem and for the next 8-10 years along with Edwards

Goldy was slowing down in the second half of the year and losing to some fairly average rucks

having a 35 year old Goldy is not smart long term thinking from 2023 especially if it loses us xerri

2023 should be CCJ and Xerri in tandem and for the next 8-10 years along with Edwards
A lot of wishful thinking there. One being Xerri becoming good enough to deserve the ruck mantle. He looks in great nick, is still young but its make or break for him. Certainly wouldnt be ushering goldy off to pasture unless he shows something consistently in the seniors this year. If he doesnt and he leaves, good luck to him.

A lot of wishful thinking there. One being Xerri becoming good enough to deserve the ruck mantle. He looks in great nick, is still young but its make or break for him. Certainly wouldnt be ushering goldy off to pasture unless he shows something consistently in the seniors this year. If he doesnt and he leaves, good luck to him.
We'll get a first rounder for him, right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CCJ and Xerri would be ideal from 2023 onwards, but they have no exposed form in the ruck at AFL level. Unless one or both of them come on leaps and bounds, making a blind decision like that with little exposed form is pretty reckless. CCJ might end up a better forward and Xerri might not make it at all.

Agree to disagree on Goldstein’s form. I thought he had a very solid year. It’s probably understandable that his form might dip carrying the load basically the whole season. We don’t actually have a ruckman on our list who has rucked a majority of a game apart from Goldstein. A lot of ground to make up in 1 season if we’re to move on Goldy.

There is a risk that we might lose Xerri, but I think the plan will be to give him more game time in the ruck and play Goldy forward more. I also think that Xerri might not make it, so to move on Goldy with possibly no replacement is also reckless.

Clearly NOT make or break this year. St Kilda were willing to offer him a deal to go there, so everyone sees the potential in him. Like CCJ, he was recruited in 2017 and so has had 4 years of development in the system. He has a few more games than CCJ in those 4 years.
But like you I hope Goldy has 2 years left at a high level.

CCJ and Xerri would be ideal from 2023 onwards, but they have no exposed form in the ruck at AFL level. Unless one or both of them come on leaps and bounds, making a blind decision like that with little exposed form is pretty reckless. CCJ might end up a better forward and Xerri might not make it at all.

Agree to disagree on Goldstein’s form. I thought he had a very solid year. It’s probably understandable that his form might dip carrying the load basically the whole season. We don’t actually have a ruckman on our list who has rucked a majority of a game apart from Goldstein. A lot of ground to make up in 1 season if we’re to move on Goldy.

There is a risk that we might lose Xerri, but I think the plan will be to give him more game time in the ruck and play Goldy forward more. I also think that Xerri might not make it, so to move on Goldy with possibly no replacement is also reckless.

well they won’t get exposed form for long periods with Goldy around

im hoping we start to phase Goldy out in 2022 with less game time And the odd rest and he retires at years end

CCJ and Xerri takeover full time from 2023

im hoping we start to phase Goldy out in 2022 with less game time And the odd rest and he retires at years end

I think you’re kidding yourself if you think phasing Goldy out in 1 season will work. Xerri or CCJ haven’t played ruck for a full game, let alone make that spot their own. We have an A grade ruckman at our disposal, so let’s make the most of it. All it does is give CCJ and Xerri more time to learn their craft and gradually get more game time.

I think you’re kidding yourself if you think phasing Goldy out in 1 season will work. Xerri or CCJ haven’t played ruck for a full game, let alone make that spot their own. We have an A grade ruckman at our disposal, so let’s make the most of it. All it does is give CCJ and Xerri more time to learn their craft and gradually get more game time.

If we take that logic they will never get exposed form

CCJ will be CHF but Small stints in ruck
Xerri won’t get a chance unless Goldy is rested

for them to get that exposed form That you are asking for Goldy needs to go

Think longer term

Think longer term

What I am saying is it doesn’t have to be done in 1 year. Why does it need to be rushed so quickly? Goldstein is still playing good footy and could go for another 2-3 years. I get that Xerri and CCJ need more game time, I just don’t agree that the transition needs to be so quick. Right now you’re wanting Goldstein out the door and we have no idea if Xerri is capable of playing ruck or not.

I don’t think retiring A grade players is best for us long term.

What I am saying is it doesn’t have to be done in 1 year. Why does it need to be rushed so quickly? Goldstein is still playing good footy and could go for another 2-3 years. I get that Xerri and CCJ need more game time, I just don’t agree that the transition needs to be so quick. Right now you’re wanting Goldstein out the door and we have no idea if Xerri is capable of playing ruck or not.

Posters have been trying to either trade him out or retire him since the Ark was built.Good to see they have stamina. Go get them for a few more years Goldy.

Wouldn’t say it’s rushed
Xerri and CCJ have been building for years in the vfl, as mentioned nothing will change in terms of responsibility in game until goldy retires

he’s 34 next year it would be no shock if he retired at years end

Clearly NOT make or break this year. St Kilda were willing to offer him a deal to go there, so everyone sees the potential in him. Like CCJ, he was recruited in 2017 and so has had 4 years of development in the system. He has a few more games than CCJ in those 4 years.
But like you I hope Goldy has 2 years left at a high level.
If he wants a contract extension and senior footy at nmfc then yes it is, which is the point of the discussion

Think longer term
Or instead of resting Goldy they actually win a spot on merit and force the 34 year old ruckman into the reserves. If they are good enough they will get there without gifted senior games

I don't think he'll retire at season's end, he'd be determined to get to 300. Probably just the end of his tenure as the undisputed #1 ruckman. He's a good contested grab, wouldn't hurt to play him at FF for a couple of years until he's ready to give it away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back