Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri -

Remove this Banner Ad

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wouldn’t say it’s rushed
Xerri and CCJ have been building for years in the vfl, as mentioned nothing will change in terms of responsibility in game until goldy retires

he’s 34 next year it would be no shock if he retired at years end

Of course they can be given more responsibility. Giving them game time in the ruck by resting Goldstein or playing him forward allows them to have more responsibility. Right now they have had none and you’re expecting them to hold the mantle in 12 months. I couldn’t think of a better word than ‘rush’ to describe that handover.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Of course they can be given more responsibility. Giving them game time in the ruck by resting Goldstein or playing him forward allows them to have more responsibility. Right now they have had none and you’re expecting them to hold the mantle in 12 months. I couldn’t think of a better word than ‘rush’ to describe that handover.

They’ve had that responsibly in the vfl for years playing against men

just the same as when Goldy started but these guys played footy more in juniors compared to Goldy

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Hale is the only player Goldie has forced to the trade table who's gone on to achieve anything elsewhere.

If any of the understudies are that good they'll make their case for ascension over Goldstein irresistable.

Rucks are probably the last position you really need to play a youngster into their stride for. There's always a couple of quality guys who develop suddenly late 20s and catch out their clubs list managers as a result. You just need to grab one when they do.

Off the top of my head Hale, McEvoy, Boyd, Vardy, Nankervis all traded in rucks in premiership sides of the last decade.

Our next premiership ruckman could be some bloke currently playing in the reserves of another side rather than a late pick we contrived games for ahead of a blue chip like Goldie.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They’ve had that responsibly in the vfl for years playing against men

just the same as when Goldy started but these guys played footy more in juniors compared to Goldy

Big step up from VFL to AFL obviously.

Goldstein cemented his spot in the side with Mcintosh and Hale still on the list. Goldstein wasn’t thrown in the deep end, he played regular football with Macintosh and Hale at different stages. It wasn’t until Goldstein had cemented his spot that we moved on Hale and Macintosh. You want to get rid of Goldstein when we have NFI whether Xerri can actually perform at AFL level.

Big step up from VFL to AFL obviously.

Goldstein cemented his spot in the side with Mcintosh and Hale still on the list. Goldstein wasn’t thrown in the deep end, he played regular football with Macintosh and Hale at different stages. It wasn’t until Goldstein had cemented his spot that we moved on Hale and Macintosh. You want to get rid of Goldstein when we have NFI whether Xerri can actually perform at AFL level.

I want to get rid of a 34 year old Goldy for blokes who will be with us hopefully for a decade

Xerri put up huge vfl games but I don’t see them resting Goldy for him so he won’t get the chance to play number 1 ruck til he goes

I want to get rid of a 34 year old Goldy for blokes who will be with us hopefully for a decade

Xerri put up huge vfl games but I don’t see them resting Goldy for him so he won’t get the chance to play number 1 ruck til he goes

Goldy only has one more year and we are unlikely going to extend his contract given we brought in CCJ, there is no need to get rid of Goldy, he will be retiring at the end of the year most likely. We will play with two ruckmen so there is scope for Xerri and CCJ to play from 2023 onwards.

It will be interesting to see if Xerri buys into it or not. If he does, he will sign an extended deal, if he doesn't he will ask to be traded again at the end of 2022 and we wont be able to say no this time.

Xerri did show promise in the VFL but it didn't really transfer to AFL level. Even as a 19 year old, Goldy didn't look out of his depth at AFL level.

I hope he has a great year and decides to stick around but I wouldn't lose any sleep if he decides he wants to go somewhere else, there was a real glut of ruckman last year who were taken in the mid season draft, some clubs have some very good prospects who I wouldn't mind chasing in a few years. We also don't know what kind of role Edwards will lean towards, if he becomes more of a forward or a ruckman. I think in the next few years some clubs will pick up a future premiership ruckman cheaply from those already floating around.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I want to keep elite players and get younger players to earn their spot. It’s exactly what Goldstein had to do.

justroyal

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wasn’t Xerri gifted a string of games and was pretty underwhelming? Especially with his forward conversation when he had quite a few opportunities in front of goals?
VFL he was fine, quite good actually. AFL he was unnoticeable- and for 200cm guy that’s quite strange.

I said earlier this year that he really needs to improve his forward nous to be a consistent regular - but to crack the shits when CCJ came along, it will be very, very interesting to see where improvements in his game come from and how he goes about contending for a spot.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hale is the only player Goldie has forced to the trade table who's gone on to achieve anything elsewhere.

If any of the understudies are that good they'll make their case for ascension over Goldstein irresistable.

Rucks are probably the last position you really need to play a youngster into their stride for. There's always a couple of quality guys who develop suddenly late 20s and catch out their clubs list managers as a result. You just need to grab one when they do.

Off the top of my head Hale, McEvoy, Boyd, Vardy, Nankervis all traded in rucks in premiership sides of the last decade.

Our next premiership ruckman could be some bloke currently playing in the reserves of another side rather than a late pick we contrived games for ahead of a blue chip like Goldie.
I've heard there's a pretty good one stuck in the SAFL behind ROB from Adelaide. Won't get a game but could be poached I reckon.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wasn’t Xerri gifted a string of games and was pretty underwhelming? Especially with his forward conversation when he had quite a few opportunities in front of goals?
VFL he was fine, quite good actually. AFL he was unnoticeable- and for 200cm guy that’s quite strange.

I said earlier this year that he really needs to improve his forward nous to be a consistent regular - but to crack the shits when CCJ came along, it will be very, very interesting to see where improvements in his game come from and how he goes about contending for a spot.
Seems like a bit of a Tom Campbell, dominates VFL but underwhelming at AFL. Has the grunt etc needed for the role but really didn't perform on field when needed. I remember him dropping a few crucial marks that would have got us scores on field.

At his last presser, Noble reiterated that a 2 Ruckman game plan is his preferred option, also, when questioned about CCJ and Goldy, immediately brought Xerri into the reply with a pretty good pump up, and stated he likes his big men to play with presence and aggression, all good news for the big X i would reckon.

Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Seems like a bit of a Tom Campbell, dominates VFL but underwhelming at AFL. Has the grunt etc needed for the role but really didn't perform on field when needed. I remember him dropping a few crucial marks that would have got us scores on field.
He's played 12 games.
How many less than 12 gamers 'perform on the field'?
Have you heard of the word apprenticeship?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's played 12 games.
How many less than 12 gamers 'perform on the field'?
Have you heard of the word apprenticeship?
We brought ccj in for a reason and paid a premuim price for him, that's all I'm gonna say about it. Xerri is 2nd in line for the ruck/forward spot and hasn't convinced anyone that he's goldys replacement yet either.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Goldy has been so good and durable for so long, it will take a huge effort from the younger guys to step up.

The benchmark for CCJ and X is very high to hit.

Noble knows that he would probably want to bring back the 2 ruck setup because they just don't have the endurance capacity to play 1 ruck. (When Goldy departs)

As much as I would like the 1 ruck setup to stay, the only sample size we have was when Brad didn't know how to manage that setup and canned it. Mostly because Goldy wasn't benefiting from the 2 ruck setup and proved he could do it on his own easily. It probably will be different with the new guys.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
X has to really kill it too. For sake of his trade value (if that's still somewhere in the air), and proving that he can still football at AFL level.

He should be firing on all cylinders this year.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Goldy has been so good and durable for so long, it will take a huge effort from the younger guys to step up.

The benchmark for CCJ and X is very high to hit.

Noble knows that he would probably want to bring back the 2 ruck setup because they just don't have the endurance capacity to play 1 ruck. (When Goldy departs)

As much as I would like the 1 ruck setup to stay, the only sample size we have was when Brad didn't know how to manage that setup and canned it. Mostly because Goldy wasn't benefiting from the 2 ruck setup and proved he could do it on his own easily. It probably will be different with the new guys.
I think the limited rotations has really forced teams to play 2 rucks. Are there any sides that actually have a single main ruck that does 90%+ of the ruck time nowadays?

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He isn’t a forward and never will be. He was definitely underwhelming when played there, but he was also being played out of position. The jury is still out on his ruck craft at AFL level and we need a good look at him this year with increased ruck time. I would be incredibly surprised if he took the number 1 ruck mantle in the space of 1 season. I think 2024 onwards is more likely, if he makes it at all.

I don’t think he ‘cracked the shits.’ From all reports he has ripped into preseason and is fighting for a spot. St kilda would have offered him opportunity, which ruckman need to take with limited best 22 spots across the league. We see a ruckman merry go round every year because they’re striving for opportunity.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We brought ccj in for a reason and paid a premuim price for him, that's all I'm gonna say about it. Xerri is 2nd in line for the ruck/forward spot and hasn't convinced anyone that he's goldys replacement yet either.

CCJ was brought into play the role Xerri couldn’t as the forward ruck. Xerri looks destined to replace Goldstein.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think the limited rotations has really forced teams to play 2 rucks. Are there any sides that actually have a single main ruck that does 90%+ of the ruck time nowadays?
good point.

Goldy has overcome most of the hurdles in regards to restricted interchanges.

it's just what happens when we have 2 rucks. We have to be able to adjust to Goldy not being there.

Our stacked midfield has to be able to stem the flow when we're not winning the taps as Goldy does.

Frank Thring

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What I am saying is it doesn’t have to be done in 1 year. Why does it need to be rushed so quickly? Goldstein is still playing good footy and could go for another 2-3 years. I get that Xerri and CCJ need more game time, I just don’t agree that the transition needs to be so quick. Right now you’re wanting Goldstein out the door and we have no idea if Xerri is capable of playing ruck or not.

I don’t think retiring A grade players is best for us long term.

Unfortunately Goldy is no longer an A grader. Was getting beaten by average rucks in the second half of the year. Doesn't get across the ground like he used to and will be 35 at the end of next year. Doubt he gets another contact .

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Unfortunately Goldy is no longer an A grader. Was getting beaten by average rucks in the second half of the year. Doesn't get across the ground like he used to and will be 35 at the end of next year. Doubt he gets another contact .
He also got bullied when playing 2v1 in the ruck.
Still has a lot to offer; especially rotating through the forward line where he's hard to push around.

Frank Thring

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He also got bullied when playing 2v1 in the ruck.
Still has a lot to offer; especially rotating through the forward line where he's hard to push around.
Goldy is at his best one out in the ruck. He doesn't go so well in tandem. He also doesn't have the stamina to be one out anymore.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie

Goldy turns 35 in 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back