Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - 3rd in the AFL for clearances after 3 rds - X is a top ? ruck in the competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ill take a 34 year old Goldy over a large portion of regular AFL playing ruckman. Just because he isnt a jet like he once was, doesnt mean he isnt up to it. He has just gone down a peg from very good to just good. Its on the young blokes to knock him off the perch, and if they cant knock him off at 34 years of age then perhaps they arent the right person for the job.

Ill take a 34 year old Goldy over a large portion of regular AFL playing ruckman. Just because he isnt a jet like he once was, doesnt mean he isnt up to it. He has just gone down a peg from very good to just good. Its on the young blokes to knock him off the perch, and if they cant knock him off at 34 years of age then perhaps they arent the right person for the job.
I think the issue is regardless of form due to Goldy being a senior player I don’t think he will get dropped

so it will take him retiring for someone to take his spot and play as a number 1 ruck

I think the issue is regardless of form due to Goldy being a senior player I don’t think he will get dropped

so it will take him retiring for someone to take his spot and play as a number 1 ruck
And thats fine. If goldy is playing well and getting more of a rest up forward and kicking a couple goals here and there why should he be dropped? If what i saw this year is anything to go by, im not in too much of a hurry to hand over the keys to Xerri. He can fight it out

we'll carry goldy to 300 games, that means 2 years left minimum.

I doubt the blokes running the list will carry anyone.

At his age I’d expect his form to continue to taper off. His future beyond 2022 would depend on the blokes underneath him. If they don’t look likely then you’d keep him for another year and reassess. If they do, you’d tap him on the shoulder.

The current admin have been ruthless yes, but they have weeded out blokes not up to it in terms of skill (Jasp, JMac, Marley) or application (Ahern). Considering Goldy is still top 5 in aerobic tests and has some elite skills for his position I can't see them moving him on. It is going to take a Riley O'Brien type of leap from X for Goldy to be tapped on the shoulder at the end of the year and told thanks for your service.

Everything about our ruck situation is awkward at the moment. From everything I've read and heard, CCJ is the heir apparent to Goldstein and didn't come to North Melbourne to play as a second ruck. Things would be a lot cleaner if Xerri could take over after Goldstein and CCJ could play the second ruck role, but I don't believe that's an option.

If Xerri sticks around, he'll either need to become too dominant to be left out of the side, or he'll need to be content being a backup, and based on the last trade period, I doubt he'll want to stick around to play in the VFL. If he did leave, we'd need to replace him straight away with a similar player, or else we'd be left with CCJ, an underdeveloped Edwards, and a 35-year-old Goldstein as our ruck options.

Looking at it on paper, I think the plan would be:
2022: Goldstein 1st ruck, CCJ 2nd ruck and Xerri as backup
2023: CCJ 1st ruck, Goldstein 2nd ruck and Edwards as backup
2024: CCJ 1st ruck, Edwards 2nd ruck and ??? as backup

It's hard to look at that and not think that we need another ruck or two on the list. CCJ has played 9 games and Edwards 0, but at the moment we're relying on them to be our rucks when we look to enter our premiership window.

There's also the question of whether Comben can be the second ruck for us. On paper, he would be perfect for the role, but given his injury history, I could see the club not wanting to overwork him. I think honestly we need to find both a ruck forward and a backup ruck in the next 2-3 years. Hopefully, Xerri can stick around to be one of those, but it doesn't seem likely.

I doubt the blokes running the list will carry anyone.

At his age I’d expect his form to continue to taper off. His future beyond 2022 would depend on the blokes underneath him. If they don’t look likely then you’d keep him for another year and reassess. If they do, you’d tap him on the shoulder.
Hes on 278 now.
Means 22 in 2022 and half a dozen or so in 2023. Can still be tapering off and letting the younger guys take the majority of the ball.
Gotta show some loyalty for him not taking the cash and going to other Victorian clubs.

Brad use to get murdered for apparently having not dropped senior players so you are saying Noble will apparently do the same regardless of form.

Hes on 278 now.
Means 22 in 2022 and half a dozen or so in 2023. Can still be tapering off and letting the younger guys take the majority of the ball.
Gotta show some loyalty for him not taking the cash and going to other Victorian clubs.

Definitely.

We have alot of young talent and other clubs will be coming for it. That may make the difference between losing someone like TT and keeping them for 50K a year less than some other club offers.

For whatever reason rucks tend to play pretty old if they're good enough. Mumford, Sandilands and Stefan Martin are some recent examples of guys getting to 35. Ryder looks to be on his way as well.

Selfishly with Goldstein, I want his hitout record to stand forever. With the AFL trying to reduce stoppages, it could stand forever, but he probably needs another 30-40 games to put enough distance between him and Gawn/Grundy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does feel like in 2022 X will either cement a spot as a Ruck/Fwd or be heading o another club as a number 1 Ruck.

Definitely.

We have alot of young talent and other clubs will be coming for it. That may make the difference between losing someone like TT and keeping them for 50K a year less than some other club offers.
TT or anyone for that matter isnt going to leave for 50k ferbs.

TT or anyone for that matter isnt going to leave for 50k ferbs.
50K a year for 5 years is 1/4 of a million dollars. They might take three years at $700K instead of leaving for 5@$750K or some similar figure if there is a culture that values and rewards loyalty.

I want to get rid of a 34 year old Goldy for blokes who will be with us hopefully for a decade

Xerri put up huge vfl games but I don’t see them resting Goldy for him so he won’t get the chance to play number 1 ruck til he goes

Don't underestimate the tutelage Goldy provides to the young punks on the training track. He sets the standards. I reckon if X could match Goldy's endurance running he may well be a chance. But until then, may have to wait, lets see what 2022 brings, club has options.

50K a year for 5 years is 1/4 of a million dollars. They might take three years at $700K instead of leaving for 5@$750K or some similar figure if there is a culture that values and rewards loyalty.

Not when you take tax out....... each to their own, being happy playing with mates, length of contract, engagement with the club and coaches, team building together toward success, etc would all play a part....doubt 50k a year would be a compelling reason to bugger off to another club, unless returning to an interstate home.

Everything about our ruck situation is awkward at the moment. From everything I've read and heard, CCJ is the heir apparent to Goldstein and didn't come to North Melbourne to play as a second ruck. Things would be a lot cleaner if Xerri could take over after Goldstein and CCJ could play the second ruck role, but I don't believe that's an option.

If Xerri sticks around, he'll either need to become too dominant to be left out of the side, or he'll need to be content being a backup, and based on the last trade period, I doubt he'll want to stick around to play in the VFL. If he did leave, we'd need to replace him straight away with a similar player, or else we'd be left with CCJ, an underdeveloped Edwards, and a 35-year-old Goldstein as our ruck options.

Looking at it on paper, I think the plan would be:
2022: Goldstein 1st ruck, CCJ 2nd ruck and Xerri as backup
2023: CCJ 1st ruck, Goldstein 2nd ruck and Edwards as backup
2024: CCJ 1st ruck, Edwards 2nd ruck and ??? as backup

It's hard to look at that and not think that we need another ruck or two on the list. CCJ has played 9 games and Edwards 0, but at the moment we're relying on them to be our rucks when we look to enter our premiership window.

There's also the question of whether Comben can be the second ruck for us. On paper, he would be perfect for the role, but given his injury history, I could see the club not wanting to overwork him. I think honestly we need to find both a ruck forward and a backup ruck in the next 2-3 years. Hopefully, Xerri can stick around to be one of those, but it doesn't seem likely.
In Xerri current state. He’s at best a second fiddle ruck anywhere he goes. He has a mountain of work to do

Sure ferbs
The number I quoted (50K) doesn't matter. The point is there will be a number (money and contract length) that makes those young players consider moving and the sort of stuff that shows loyalty to players who work hard and set a high standard will drive that number higher than it might otherwise be.

In Xerri current state. He’s at best a second fiddle ruck anywhere he goes. He has a mountain of work to do

Well he looks as big as a mountain,,,,,certainly looks to have done a lot of work. I am quietly optimistic on his chances and don't see CCJ coming in necessarily consigning him to VFL duties. Week by week proposition building flexibility.....ie/ how likely is it we see Chom playing 22 games (fingers crossed)... Walker at CHB is he best 22? Maybe,,,,,everyone always has rucks pencilled in to rest forward....I think them drifting back across half back in front of leading key forwards, is an under rated use of them, think Goldy against geelong back when we made it through to prelim.....capuano played that to great effect too way back then while McKernan would work forward. Even if they don't intercept, forces opposition forward entries to kick wide to the pockets, or bomb it up high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back