Shagga is all Class

Premiership Player
May 15, 2005
Beneath the Blue and White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Xerri just asked for a trade so that this thread could stay on page 1 of bigfooty.
What a cunning plan

Preuss has played 18 games and is OOC at the end of 2023. Now at his 3rd club and 2023 will make 9 years on an AFL list.

Cunning plans sometimes work, if you subscribe to the Daniel Gorringe theory.

Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
CCJ doesn’t go into every marking contest thinking he can mark the ball with one hand. Xerri, IMO isn’t AFL standard (yet)

Neither does Xerri ...
For me, both CCJ and Xerri need to improve. I don't see much difference between them, even if their weaknesses and strengths are different.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Neither does Xerri ...
For me, both CCJ and Xerri need to improve. I don't see much difference between them, even if their weaknesses and strengths are different.
Lol yes, Xerri likes to grab one arm around an opponent and then try and tap the ball and mark it. 😂 there is a significant gap between them. Xerri is also reckless at the wrong moments and gives away stupid free kicks. Im all for reckless but not when it swings a goal the other way. Multiple occasions.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Neither does Xerri ...
Xerri really struggled to kick goals or take marks in the AFL this year unlike CCJ whose record was passable, averaging over one a game in both categories. Compare that to Xerri who kicked just one goal and only took four contested marks in eight games.

Xerri really struggled to kick goals or take marks in the AFL this year unlike CCJ whose record was passable, averaging over one a game in both categories. Compare that to Xerri who kicked just one goal and only took four contested marks in eight games.
I reckon if Xerri kicks on it will be a real bonus. Your stats sum him up for me. Not unhappy to have him on the books still but let's see if he can take the next step. Hope so.

I'm pretty certain Xerri will leave at the end of next year.
Would have this year if we could have made the right deal. I'm not unhappy that we didn't just give him away. Club must have some hope that he can step up.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Would have this year if we could have made the right deal. I'm not unhappy that we didn't just give him away. Club must have some hope that he can step up.
I'm glad we kept him too. I don't see him projecting as a #1 AFL ruck but he'll probably be good enough to do the ruck carousel eventually. Hopefully we get some value out of him if he does leave, the Saints were gonna give us donuts this year.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm glad we kept him too. I don't see him projecting as a #1 AFL ruck but he'll probably be good enough to do the ruck carousel eventually. Hopefully we get some value out of him if he does leave, the Saints were gonna give us donuts this year.
Problem is that after this/next year he'll have to step up into that #1 spot with goldy retiring. If not we find a replacement in the trade period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You dont need to pull out stats if you (not you) watched him. He is in the wrong spots, is behind the play, is 25/75 in every marking contest even as the bigger opponent, i love his passion but he is a liability at times.. I wouldnt write him off, stupid to do that at the his age. Gawn was a spud in his 4/5/6th years too. Istanbul compares Xerri to CCJ and see’s very little difference means he simply never watched Xerri or CCJ. It takes a massive kick up the backside for someone like Xerri to turn it around, the question is, Can he? Might not be at Arden St, If/When he does.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
It does feel like in 2022 X will either cement a spot as a Ruck/Fwd or be heading o another club as a number 1 Ruck.
I reckon if X shows he's capable of being a number 1 ruckman, he'll be in that role for us in 2023. We won't be letting a 23 yo walk willingly. We need players who'll be coming into their peak years around 2024/25.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
True. They were about equal in hit-outs from their respective 8 games each, and Xerri was ahead on tackles. But CCJ was a higher disposal winner.
Still, given they played for different teams with different set ups, the stats must be taken with a grain of salt.

Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You dont need to pull out stats if you (not you) watched him. He is in the wrong spots, is behind the play, is 25/75 in every marking contest even as the bigger opponent, i love his passion but he is a liability at times.. I wouldnt write him off, stupid to do that at the his age. Gawn was a spud in his 4/5/6th years too. Istanbul compares Xerri to CCJ and see’s very little difference means he simply never watched Xerri or CCJ. It takes a massive kick up the backside for someone like Xerri to turn it around, the question is, Can he? Might not be at Arden St, If/When he does.
Ironically, I watched more CCJ on TV (being in Sydney), and I guess I was less than impressed with him. And I've always liked what Xerri does in the VFL. I wonder how much of CCJ you actually watched? He lacks mobility and has an awkward kicking style.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ironically, I watched more CCJ on TV (being in Sydney), and I guess I was less than impressed with him. And I've always liked what Xerri does in the VFL. I wonder how much of CCJ you actually watched? He lacks mobility and has an awkward kicking style.
Well the club thought enough to recruit a ruckman despite having X and Campbell. And have slated CCJ to spend more time in the ruck. His game up forward against adelaide was great and head and tails better than X produced all year. As for the kicking, X is literally the most awkward and worst kick in the comp, and probably the least athletic on our list. Hopefully they both improve and as the saying goes 'iron sharpens iron.' Competition is great.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think the problem with Xerri in 2021 was that he had to spend basically 100% of the game as the number one ruck in the VFL (where he played some excellent footy), but whenever he was called to the seniors he played more of a ruck/forward role which he hasn't really been prepared for. Shouldn't surprise anyone that he struggled with forward craft. Hopefully the VFL program has an actual ruckman next year, so he can learn the position properly and have a real crack at it.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Everything about our ruck situation is awkward at the moment. From everything I've read and heard, CCJ is the heir apparent to Goldstein and didn't come to North Melbourne to play as a second ruck. Things would be a lot cleaner if Xerri could take over after Goldstein and CCJ could play the second ruck role, but I don't believe that's an option.

If Xerri sticks around, he'll either need to become too dominant to be left out of the side, or he'll need to be content being a backup, and based on the last trade period, I doubt he'll want to stick around to play in the VFL. If he did leave, we'd need to replace him straight away with a similar player, or else we'd be left with CCJ, an underdeveloped Edwards, and a 35-year-old Goldstein as our ruck options.

Looking at it on paper, I think the plan would be:
2022: Goldstein 1st ruck, CCJ 2nd ruck and Xerri as backup
2023: CCJ 1st ruck, Goldstein 2nd ruck and Edwards as backup
2024: CCJ 1st ruck, Edwards 2nd ruck and ??? as backup

It's hard to look at that and not think that we need another ruck or two on the list. CCJ has played 9 games and Edwards 0, but at the moment we're relying on them to be our rucks when we look to enter our premiership window.

There's also the question of whether Comben can be the second ruck for us. On paper, he would be perfect for the role, but given his injury history, I could see the club not wanting to overwork him. I think honestly we need to find both a ruck forward and a backup ruck in the next 2-3 years. Hopefully, Xerri can stick around to be one of those, but it doesn't seem likely.
Yep agree CCJ did not come to us to be a FWD he came to be the no1 ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back