Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri -

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He came to at least play 30% ruck.
Most teams will be running 2 rucks from now on.

He could have stayed at Richmond if he was content being a forward who pinch hits in the ruck.

It's very likely that the opportunity to take over from Goldstein was a key driver in his move to North Melbourne. Apart from what I hear informally, he basically said as much in his interview on the club website.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ironically, I watched more CCJ on TV (being in Sydney), and I guess I was less than impressed with him. And I've always liked what Xerri does in the VFL. I wonder how much of CCJ you actually watched? He lacks mobility and has an awkward kicking style.
I watched enough to know he is a better kick than Xerri.. at goal in particular

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He could have stayed at Richmond if he was content being a forward who pinch hits in the ruck.

It's very likely that the opportunity to take over from Goldstein was a key driver in his move to North Melbourne. Apart from what I hear informally, he basically said as much in his interview on the club website.
Dead right with everything you have said here in my opinion anyway time will tell. Lets hope he kills it no matter were he plays.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

he was behind lynch and reiwoldt as forward, nank and soldo as ruck and wanted consistent AFL time in 2022.
He wasn't going to stay if someone gave him a fair offer.
He'll play ruck forward and rotate with goldy in 2022, as noble has said we want 2 rucks moving forward.
Not sure if he'll go into the 'main' ruck position when goldy retires but he'll 100% be sharing the position with someone and rotating forward.

Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well the club thought enough to recruit a ruckman despite having X and Campbell. And have slated CCJ to spend more time in the ruck. His game up forward against adelaide was great and head and tails better than X produced all year. As for the kicking, X is literally the most awkward and worst kick in the comp, and probably the least athletic on our list. Hopefully they both improve and as the saying goes 'iron sharpens iron.' Competition is great.
Honestly, just don't see that Xerri is a bad kick. He was a good kick in the VFL.
His highlights aren't bad:

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
he was behind lynch and reiwoldt as forward, nank and soldo as ruck and wanted consistent AFL time in 2022.
He wasn't going to stay if someone gave him a fair offer.
He'll play ruck forward and rotate with goldy in 2022, as noble has said we want 2 rucks moving forward.
Not sure if he'll go into the 'main' ruck position when goldy retires but he'll 100% be sharing the position with someone and rotating forward.

CCJ sharing the load with Edwards in a couple of years is the ideal scenario. They’re both capable forwards and the ruck/forward ratio can be split down the track once we know who has better strengths.

Xerri needs to be given opportunity this coming season as a ruck to assess his ability. He isn’t a forward, so we need to know what he can provide in the ruck. I have my doubts about him to be honest, but happy to be proven wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Two years sounds right. He looks fit as fu** right now. If he's on one leg next year he'll still be good enough to play ⁶⁵-³⁵ ruck.
My idea behind it was that 2 years would carry him to 300 games.
If he's fit we gotta play him.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
'Absolute stinker.' What an absurd description.
43% by foot and 60% total disposal efficiency ranking him 560th in the AFL. You can debate the semantics, the stats on the other hand indicate his kicking is shocking, horrible, needs considerable work, very very bad, well below average, cant hit the side of a barn etc etc. All seem less absurd in their description

Last edited:

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Xerri's disposal in general play is horrid and he is without doubt the least skilled player on the list. He competes like an animal though and is in immaculate physical shape so is giving himself every chance to play more seniors in 22.
Great post.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
43% by foot and 60% total disposal efficiency ranking him 560th in the AFL. You can debate the semantics, the stats on the other hand indicate his kicking is shocking, horrible, needs considerable work, very very bad, well below average, cant hit the side of a barn etc etc. All seem less absurd in their description

And if there was a stat for average height per kick he’d be right up there

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And if there was a stat for average height per kick he’d be right up there
Of course, most rucks are ordinary by foot. Goldy is a dead set freak, rucks all day, kicks it beautifully. A few years ago was close to the best player in the comp. I hope X or CCJ become 1/2 thr footballer goldy was/is. Finally some genuine young talent to have a crack

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Xerri's disposal in general play is horrid and he is without doubt the least skilled player on the list. He competes like an animal though and is in immaculate physical shape so is giving himself every chance to play more seniors in 22.

Worst part of Xerri’s kicking is that he takes half a day to get ball to boot.

Back