Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - 3rd in the AFL for clearances after 3 rds - X is a top ? ruck in the competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Into the side asap........bleeds nth melbourne. Has mongrel. Alone with only these 2 traits is it worthy for him to play.
Needs to come in purely for balance.

Larkey playing the lone key forward is suicidal. It’s also criminal that Larkey is forced to play the second ruck role.

I don't understand why he wasn't selected if he was ready to go?

Our fwd line is by far the worst I've even seen.

At this point in time, if Xerri comes in and positions himself twenty metres out from goal and doesn’t move for the entire game, it would greatly benefit the team from a structural point of view. The fact that he throws his weight around will be a massive help too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Xerri targets AFL recall
Having overcome a pre-season groin injury, Tristan Xerri is hoping to put his hand up for AFL selection in the coming weeks.

Having overcome a pre-season groin injury, Tristan Xerri is hoping to put his hand up for AFL selection in the coming weeks.

“I had a bit of a groin injury earlier on during pre-season. The past weekend’s game was my third game back,” Xerri told North Media.

With a return to full fitness imminent, he is targeting a strong body of work at VFL level to catch the eye of David Noble.

“I’ve gained a lot of confidence from those last three weeks, and I feel like I am improving week after week, so I’m really hoping to crack into the AFL side soon.”

With the VFL returning in 2021, North’s participation in the competition is a welcome opportunity for players fighting for a spot in the AFL side according to Xerri.

“VFL is very important for us. We lost that last year, if we weren’t playing AFL [last season] we didn’t have any other options,” he said.

“This year it’s been really great that if you aren’t playing or coming back from injury – you have access to resources in the VFL.”

At 198cm tall, Xerri has the ability to dominate in the ruck, but can also push forward to provide a strong marking target.

Still just 22 years old, Xerri has impressed fans with his forward pressure, while also impacting the scoreboard with three goals in his four AFL games to date.

Despite his obvious potential, he is mindful of where his improvement needs to lie as his career progresses.

“I need to keep working on my defensive mindset. As we know, if you can’t defend you won’t play,” Xerri says.

“My forward pressure is an aspect of my game I pride myself on. My contested marks and creating contests are parts that I need to keep working on.”

Doesnt sound like he'll be selected by the sounds and timing of this article
Sounds like it, which sucks. The forward line hasn’t worked at all this year and nothing has been done about it. Larkey in the ruck is the dumbest idea going around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I get a please explain from North as to exactly why he wasn't picked ahead of Campbell? If its a matter of fitness well * me North guess the fitness trainers got it wrong AGAIN cos Campbell was sucking wind by the 3rd when the game was in the balance and called for some tall timber to stand up and clunk a ******* mark.

If today showed anything its that we should be playing two ruckman. Goldy resting forward was dangerous, and demands a quality tall defender giving Larkey some breathing room. And hopefully Xerri is the man next week. Because we need some bruisers

With Tom Campbell receiving a call-up to the AFL side this week, Tristan Xerri took on the role of primary ruck against Port and thrived in the absence of his partner in crime.

Kicking three goals for the game, including two in the final quarter, Xerri provided a strong contested marking target forward while dominating the ruck contests.

“'X' (Xerri) had a really good game, he rucked for about 90 per cent of the day … [and] clearly won the ruck duel in the air,” Adams said.

“We’ve been trying to add a little bit of consistency to his game and his ability to fire out of the contests and go forward was great.

“He took some big grabs when we needed him to, but even more impressive were his finishes. I know they weren’t exactly hard shots but with that wind and fatigue, to go back and slot them was impressive.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back