Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri

Remove this Banner Ad

He showed things at VFL level that he hasn't yet been able to replicate in the seniors. I can see a lot of people writing him off pre-emptively with CCJ coming in, I think he's got a lot of growth yet.
Think issue is he didn't get much chance to post the same role he played in vfl. We brought him in the be the 2nd tall to larkey. Vfl he dominated as number 1 ruck. There's a couple areas of thought he. Noble said he didn't get the chance to play properly fwd in the vfl due to not having any other ruckman so maybe next season if we have enjoin height he will have the chance the play that fwd role and learn his craft. Possibly Edwards to ruck with xerri and comben fwd with ccj being in the seniors. Otherwise time is defs running out for him unless they see him as longer term and competition for ccj when gpldy retires

X MARKS THE SPOT FOR SAINTS

NORTH Melbourne ruckman Tristan Xerri has notified the club that he would like to be traded to St Kilda.

AFL.com.au understands Xerri is keen to explore a move to the Saints, having fallen further down the pecking order at the Kangaroos due to the impending arrival of Tigers youngster Callum Coleman-Jones.

Despite the trade request, which arrived on Wednesday afternoon, North Melbourne is set to reiterate in talks with St Kilda that the 201cm youngster is contracted for next season and is still seen as a key part of the club's future behind the 33-year-old Todd Goldstein.

Tristan Xerri flies for a mark against the Western Bulldogs in round 16, 2021. Picture: Getty Images
Xerri played eight games this season towards the back-half of the year, having initially been left out of the side in favour of the experienced Tom Campbell. He has featured 12 times at senior level in four seasons on the club's list.

However, the 22-year-old has emerged as a dominant player at VFL level and finished second in the club's reserves best and fairest after averaging 22 disposals, 26 hitouts and six clearances per game this season.

St Kilda currently has picks No.9, 62, 66, 67 and 85, but is also expected to need draft points to match bids on talented Next Generation Academy players Mitchito Owens and Marcus Windhager. – Riley Beveridge

Feels like he will be playing a lot of VFL football again next year at the Saints if Marhsall/Ryder are fit.

All the best to him, if we find a trade.

All the best Tristan, sorry it didn't work out at North and all the best.

As for value, I am not too optimistic.
I agree, but 62 is under for a player under contract; a future would have to be our starting position (assuming they don't want to package up Jack Steele)

BFNAAK so don’t understand why he’d want to go to the Saints if you’re 3rd in-line for ruck duties.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Ryder is injury prone and l think may have less years left in him than Goldy, giving X better opportunity....plus he would be further down the list now that CCJ and Edwards will arrive as well as Campbell if he stays.

Wonder if he’s getting 3 or 4 years from the saints? He might feel that’s guaranteed 2 extra compared to if he stays. So +2 on the table today is better than nothing. Good luck to him.
by the time Edwards has eaten enough pasta it would surely nearly be even security.

I’d certainly rather keep him than see him leave this year. Ah well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather he stays but bundle him with pick 70 for their 2022 R2.
Yep, next year’s second plus or minus Liam Anthony will do fine.

edit: in fact, worth doing at this price purely to outrage the tuggers supporters.

Last edited:
Hold him to his contract

or try get involved in a player swap involving Someone young that has upside like Josh Battle

How much did playing Tom Campbell ahead of Xerri in the 1st half of the season contribute to this? It did seem shortsighted at the time.

Xerri was consistently in the best in the 2s and we just kept finding games for a great clubman in Campbell, but really his performances left a *lot* to be desired.

On top of that, we bring in two highly rated young ruckman in the space of 6 months.

It would seem like a vote of no confidence from the club.
Throw in better money/security and you can't blame him for coming to this decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back