Past #39: Billy Hartung - will not be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Billy

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, I'll be specific. At the end of last season, before the draft and after Dusty/Kelly fell through ...

Known:
Cunners
Higgins
Ziebell as a mid
The fact that the top 5-6 in the draft were all mids
Gibson gone

Unkown
Whether Jacobs's foot would come good
Anderson
Whether Dumont could take the next step
Whether Ahern would be any good
Whether Garner would see much mid time
Whether Mountford would continue to develop
Whether J Williams would continue to develop
How much midfield time Simpkin would get
Ziebell as a forward
What we were going to draft after the 1st round

And that's leaving out Clarke whose natural position is probably wing, McDonald who we all expected would keep improving on his 2017, Waite and Wood who were able to play spells through the wing as mobile talls.

We then added:
LDU
Walker as a mid-forward
Hayden
Hartung

So there were about 19 players in the midfield mix this year and we used all but four of them. Williams and Hartung are gone, ironically the two fastest. If we don't get Polec or Gaff we'll just run Dumont and LDU on the wings with most likely McDonald, Wood, Walker, Clarke spending some time there.

Let's face it, Billy was indeed "surprisingly ok" but he averaged 17 disposals a game and the only teams he got 20+ against were Carlton, GC and St Kilda. It's fair enough to believe he was that far down the depth chart once Dumont stepped up and Walker looked the goods in his few games.
All valid points of course and as you mentioned we cut a player that brings speed which is something most players on the list you provided dont have.

I can't believe that we've delisted Billy and kept Hrovat. I reckon that Billy taking on Hrovat's role would be an upgrade.

All of the explanations about Billy being surprisingly Ok but really, not really make sense... Until you get to the part of the list with the rat's name on it.

Then you have to ask, really?

All of the explanations about Billy being surprisingly Ok but really, not really make sense... Until you get to the part of the list with the rat's name on it.

Then you have to ask, really?

Rat didn't get offered a new contract this year either.

I'd be surprised if he is still on the list when pre season training starts.

We’ve carried blokes for years whom ended up nothing.

We’ve got blokes on the list still, that won’t improve and will end up nowhere.

Billy had a trait we lacked.

He deserved a second year.

Agree

Exceeded expectations there may well be a plan but Billy is particularly hard done by in my opinion

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why are people blowing up so much about his early season form, it totally ignores the fact he was hanging on for dear life in the side before his hammy went twang.

Billy's only shortcoming was his size.

I'm surprised the club delisted him, and I will have some WTF moments if an influx of outside speed doesn't occur.

If I was selecting a side tomorrow to play a final at the G, I would be choosing Billy over Ahern, LDU and Walker. Let alone a few other under performing senior players.

Watching us get killed on the spread against *, Collingwood and Western I cant cop hes just 'unlucky'.

Hartung over Ahern? Strongly disagree - Hartung nowhere near the class of Ahern.

Hartung unlucky all the same.

Hartung over Ahern? Strongly disagree - Hartung nowhere near the class of Ahern.

Hartung unlucky all the same.
Based on their current fitness and ability to run both ways
Not even a contest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of those players that really should've been kept on the list for depth.

I'm still perplexed as to why we got rid of him. He and Hall would've been a weapon.

I'm still perplexed as to why we got rid of him. He and Hall would've been a weapon.

Funny that you resurrected Billy's thread & mentioned Hall... Because when Hall kept steaming forward on the weekend and then running into trouble, it immediately reminded me of Hartung.

Hall isn't a weapon in his own right, why would he have become a weapon if Hartung was still around?

Both are average players, depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back