Past #39: Billy Hartung - will not be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Billy

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m probs being too hard on him but I feel there’s been a few aerial contests that he “chooses” to not get desperately involved in. Or that 50/50ball that he props and prepares to tackle as opposed to contesting it.
I realise what other attributes he brings, of course, but those moments are hard to watch.
That was my observation when I saw him live too, but there's definitely merit to the argument that you don't want a 60kg outside runner flying against ruckmen. Its not his role, and I'm sure the club knows that.

Billy is a middle of the road footballer with 2 outstanding attributes that, if he continues to work hard, will allow him to have a good AFL career. Here's to hoping he plays a lot of games for us, but I doubt he will ever be a top-10 BnF type. He's a role player, but that role is a very important one for our team.

Hawthorn had a good look at him and let him go. Has been in the system for 4 seasons and shown very little. One trick pony, has pace, not much else. That whipping boy Sam Gibson had more heart.

Hawthorn had a good look at him and let him go. Has been in the system for 4 seasons and shown very little. One trick pony, has pace, not much else. That whipping boy Sam Gibson had more heart.

I wish I was as bad as Hartung, Billy has been a good addition, let's move on from the Geelong game because we had plenty of players that stunk. Ben Brown had no impact at all. Looked out of his depth, but we know that's not true.

For me he's just a place filler until better players develop and come through. Was terrible vs geelong and at times has bad some very underwhelming games. When we have garner jed everyone back fit he shouldn't play

I agree re Gibson. Club has done a lot right recently but I'm still not sold on Hartung. Like all players he has his good points but his total refusal to compete in marking contests when its his turn has to is very annoying!

his total refusal to compete in marking contests when its his turn has to is very annoying!

It’s happened half a dozen times this year, he’d probably still get beat but at least make some body contact.

Apart from that, his tackling has improved since his Hawks days and he’s added run to our team.

Last edited:
I wish I was as bad as Hartung, Billy has been a good addition, let's move on from the Geelong game because we had plenty of players that stunk. Ben Brown had no impact at all. Looked out of his depth, but we know that's not true.
BB has credits in the bank (to use a Ron Barassi expression) Billy has zilch and no excuse because of his time in the system. He wouldn’t be tolerated in the Barassi or Pagan teams as every player was expected to stand up when their turn came.

He has one job.

Add pace and and line breaking capability.

If he can lay a tackle safely, then its an added bonus.

But what good would a 75kg, 5'9 man putting his body on the line to stop a 6'2 88kg midfielder charging at him with the added benefit of momentum serve the club?

He needs to pick his battles wisely.

He has one job.

Add pace and and line breaking capability.

If he can lay a tackle safely, then its an added bonus.

But what good would a 75kg, 5'9 man putting his body on the line to stop a 6'2 88kg midfielder charging at him with the added benefit of momentum serve the club?

He needs to pick his battles wisely.

So you think that players should pick and choose when they put their body on the line?? Maybe I'm old fashioned but I think when its your turn to go u have to go!

So you think that players should pick and choose when they put their body on the line?? Maybe I'm old fashioned but I think when its your turn to go u have to go!
When your 5"9 and 75 kg, you definitely should pick your tackles.

I think your comment is definitely applicable to the days when the AFL was alot more accommodating to smaller players.

In those dsys, the height to weight differential when a small bloke had a crack wasn't 15cms in height and 15kg in weight

The average AFL ayer today stands at 189cm and tips the scale at 90+ kgs.. there alot bigger, stronger and faster.

Factor in the fact that we have zero depth for any of our best 22, let alone a speedster like Hartung who cant actually kick a goal running at full pace...

Trust me when i say this....we gain nothing from Hartung running back with the flight of the ball into to a pack containing Hawkins, Tarrent and Daw....hahaha....

He does have a go. Only a week ago I saw him contest on the HFF with two Brisbane Lions players and hold them up from moving the ball up the ground.

He doesn't play like Glenn Archer because at his size there could only be one result, he'd end up on the ground and off his feet, and the opposition would be off and away with the ball. It's better this way as he still stays in the contest.

When your 5"9 and 75 kg, you definitely should pick your tackles.

I think your comment is definitely applicable to the days when the AFL was alot more accommodating to smaller players.

In those dsys, the height to weight differential when a small bloke had a crack wasn't 15cms in height and 15kg in weight

The average AFL ayer today stands at 189cm and tips the scale at 90+ kgs.. there alot bigger, stronger and faster.

Factor in the fact that we have zero depth for any of our best 22, let alone a speedster like Hartung who cant actually kick a goal running at full pace...

Trust me when i say this....we gain nothing from Hartung running back with the flight of the ball into to a pack containing Hawkins, Tarrent and Daw....hahaha....
Going off that, Caleb Daniel doesn't have to tackle or contest in the air. I'm sure Bevo would be cool with that...

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billy has had a good season but like most of the team had a bad day at the office vs Geelong.

The physicality thing isn't black and white. We want him exploiting his main strengths which are an ability to break the lines and also run hard to create an option and do both of these things repeatedly.

I doubt the coaches have given him license to shirk it not that he generally has. If there's a moment in a final (should we be good enough to get there) where he has to put his body on the line to stop a rampaging Fyfe for example, I'd guess that they expect him to commit to it for the sake of the team.

Had a bad game but we got him in the side for pace, he has work to do on other aspects of his game but he does provide something that we lack.

Like all players he has his good points but his total refusal to compete in marking contests when its his turn has to is very annoying!

It’s happened half a dozen times this year, he’d probably still get beat but at least make some body contact.

If you want a reason why Hartung is out the above is why.

It doesn’t matter if your 70kg or 110kg you still need to compete.

Shouldn’t have been dropped.

The incident against Geelong wasn’t good enough for a player at any level and it wasn’t the first time it’s happened.

He’s added a lot with his run but glad a statement has been made.

That effort at Geelong was unacceptable for a player at any level.

The incident against Geelong wasn’t good enough for a player at any level and it wasn’t the first time it’s happened.

He’s added a lot with his run but glad a statement has been made.

That effort at Geelong was unacceptable for a player at any level.

Why hasn’t Mcdonald or Jmac been dropped this year then? Both of them at times this year have refused to go when it’s their turn. Dumont another....

Why hasn’t Mcdonald or Jmac been dropped this year then? Both of them at times this year have refused to go when it’s their turn. Dumont another....

Not sure, but that’s about the 6th time Hartung has failed to compete in a marking contest and just watch a player take an uncontested mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back