Past #39: Eric Wallace - released by the Carolina Panthers

Remove this Banner Ad

Hansen definitely struggles with it, I agree. But that is why his position in the side has to be under threat IMO.

I understand what you mean, a guy who can use the ball well AND stop full forwards kicking 5+ goal bags are extremely valuable. However, primarily you want to stop guys like Franklin kicking 13 goals on you.

Tarrant seems fairly reliable, but a stopper with elite skills is AA material, they don't grow on trees, you are realistically going to have to make some compromises. Hansen's problem is that he is really poor defensively in 1v1 scenarios, to the point rovers and mids are out-bodying him. That compromises his value as a defender. He has improved somewhat in at least he will punch from behind more often than he used to and is more effective than he used to be defensively.

Delaney's issue was that he wasn't as good/consistent with the stopping, he was competitive, but he still had bags kicked on him for us. If you are a defender who leaks goals, you have to bring a lot more to the table. On a net bases, you have to add something which would overall be better than a more effective stopper.

That is in part the problem with Thompson and to a lesser extent Grima pre injury/retirement, they stopped contributed with those heavy rebounds, the kind of rebounding and aggressive play that made Thompson an AA. He has just become a reactionary player and is a shadow of the player he once was.

I am really sorry he is gone too. Really nice bloke who gave it his all. That video is first class all the way.

By the way my suspension is over so my daughter won't have to type on my behalf anymore....Thanks Folks

It was lovely to read ally18's independent thoughts for that brief period anyway kf. :thumbsu:

I spoke with Eric by phone after his delisting and he's hopeful another AFL club might extend him a lifeline in the Rookie and Pre-Season Draft. We'll see...
I hope he plays somewhere his a top bloke and I wish him the best but I hope we can offer him a off field job within the club if his not picked up by another AFL club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phenomenal story. Nothing but respect for how he approached things with us.

A bit like Folau taking back his AFL endurance to a rugby code - I wonder if the AFL miles Wallace got into his legs over 3 years will give him a fitness base few of his peers would have?

As the thread title suggests. Beast's run with the Panthers has come and gone. Wonder what the next move is for him? Might be the end of his sporting career.

Ok. I was just wondering what kind of bread he was bringing in while he was in AUS, playing at whatever level he was. As for trying out with the Panthers, I think they did sign him to a contract.....but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Gotta' make the team. He didn't. He probably got something for training camp...but it probably wasn't a whole lot. Maybe he's on someone's practice squad somewhere. Feel sorry for that guy....but he got a lot further than a lot of us. Seemed like he had/has such a good attitude.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back