Past #39: Flynn Perez - drafted w/ #39 in 2019 ND - 2x ACL - delisted end '23 - 24 NM games / 1 NM goals - thanks Flynn

Remove this Banner Ad

He can kick (on both feet), has a turn of speed, is versatile and was shaping as an exciting player in this year's draft class. He still has all that, but hasn't been able to show any of it through 2019 after requiring a knee reconstruction in December last season.

Perez had a high level soccer background, having previously captained Victoria at junior level, before he made football his priority.

Bendigo Pioneers talent manager Steve Sharp said while the injury was disappointing for Perez, he expects the smooth moving midfielder to still come under heavy notice from AFL clubs at national draft time next November.

“Flynn ticked a lot of boxes as a 17-year-old,’’ Sharp said.

“His commitment to his footy was outstanding and, even though he has this injury, AFL clubs would have seen a lot of positive signs.

Earlier this month Perez impressed Geelong skipper Joel Selwood when he trained with the Cats.

"He's a nice mover and a great size,’’ Selwood said of Perez.

Despite not being able to play this season, Perez has been kept busy in a coaching role with the Pioneers.

"I've still been able to get a lot out of the year by getting a coaches perspective," Perez said.

"I've done a bit of coaching with the backs and mids and, hopefully, the boys have enjoyed my messaging."

Speaks well, kicks on both feet quite well (good highlight package). Project would be to play in 2021 I suspect at best, but looks like a good speculative pick.

Welcome!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Foxsports.com.au: Like a number of prospects, Perez’s draft year was cut short after rupturing his ACL during pre-season training for Vic Country. But his name firmly remains in consideration for AFL clubs, given his good underage season where he averaged 16.5 disposals for Bendigo in 2018. His speed and poise with ball in hand make him an appealing option for clubs on the outside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back