Past #39: Flynn Perez - drafted w/ #39 in 2019 ND - 2x ACL - delisted end '23 - 24 NM games / 1 NM goals - thanks Flynn

Screenshot_20191129-044855_Herald Sun.jpg

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
View attachment 786292

DRAFT ANALYSIS: "A developing talent with some draftable qualities such as his vertical leap and class, Perez missed all of 2019 with an ACL injury, and will hope he has done enough in his bottom-age year to earn a spot on a club's list."

IN terms of Victorian prospects, Flynn Perez is arguably the hardest player to judge in the draft crop. The reason for that is the talented midfielder injured his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) during a training camp for Vic Country over the summer and missed the entire 2019 NAB League season, as well as the NAB League Fitness Testing Day, and National Draft Combine testing opportunities. So nearly all the data that anyone has to go off with Perez both on and off-field is from 2018, where he showed some really promising signs as a bottom-ager for the Bendigo Pioneers. What he did show in 2018, was a touch of class on the field, but just needed to build consistency going into 2019, something he was robbed of through his injury.

STRENGTHS:
Class
In-game athleticism
Upside
Spread
Size
Character
IMPROVEMENTS:
Accumulation
Consistency
Inside game

When taking a look at Perez on-field, his ability is often greater than his testing ability, with Perez showing nice athleticism to think his way through congested situations and dispose of the ball. While his pre-season 2018 20m sprint time of 3.09 seconds is not overly impressive, he shows it out on the field that he is able to gain separation from opponents. He has the touch of class that you notice in moments that stands out, and while his kicking efficiency of 50.7 per cent from that season needs to improve, it is more of his consistency to dispose of the ball when under pressure and understand the time he has than a technical action as such. He did average just one third of his possessions at the coalface, but he worked hard to spread well around the ground and often find space on a wing or at half-forward where he could set his teammates up. He has a good vertical leap, recording 77cm at the same 2018 pre-season testing day, a number than no doubt would have improved over the past 18 months had it not been for his injury setback. Furthermore, his dedication to his recovery from all reports has been top notch with Perez providing great off-field leadership to the Pioneers and being a terrific person off the field while not being able to contribute on it. He has some terrific upside, which he will no doubt show once he is able to get back out on the park.
When delving into his areas of improvement, Perez first and foremost just needs to get back on the park and build his fitness. He averaged the 16.5 disposals in his bottom-age year for the Pioneers, and showed in glimpses just what impact he can have on a game. It was not across the full four quarters however, and as his efficiency suggests, he could make errors by foot at times. However his work with run and carry by hand was quite solid and with his high leaping ability and high ceiling, there is plenty of reasons to be excited about what Perez could produce at senior level. Of course given he has missed 12 months and been unable to show recruiters on-field that he has developed in those areas, he has no doubt been doing all he can off-field to get his recovery right and prove he can play a role within an AFL system in 2020. He is a long-term prospect who is no guarantee to be drafted given his injury, but he was highly rated coming into the 2019 pre-season, playing on Grand Final Day in the Under-17 All Stars match which suggested recruiters rated him in the top half of the draft. He looms as a second half of the draft to rookie pick with some great traits that can be further developed given more time in an elite system.

DRAFT RANGE: 40-70

Well good news for the international rules selectors I n a few years time between Perez and Walker should have a couple who can kick the round ball!

arden station

Cancelled
May 3, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
About a third of the way through his highlights, in the night game, the opponent fumbles the mark - his super quick reaction time and reflexes to strip the ball, accelerate and deliver stands out. Really like this selection.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
From the Herald Sun:

"North Melbourne has shown faith in a player it had rated one of the best in Australia before he tore his ACL, drafting Bendigo’s Flynn Perez".

They are the banged-up buddies living 400km apart who are set to meet halfway at Arden St.
Vic Country pair Charlie Comben (Sale) and Flynn Perez (Bendigo) were drafted by North Melbourne despite spending about as much time in hospitals as on the football field in recent years.

It’s hard not to shudder just listening to Comben’s journey. Three years ago the key forward broke a wrist and then a collarbone.

Two years ago and Comben shattered his cheekbone and then last year a basketball mishap left the 199cm target with a broken tibia and a fractured kneecap, which was also dislocated.

Ouch.

North Melbourne drafted Flynn Perez at pick 35. Picture: Michael Klein
They were the breaks Comben didn’t need. Last night came the break he did need, when North pounced at No. 31.

“We’ve been in a similar position with injury stuff,” Perez told the Herald Sun.

“I didn’t meet him until this year at Vic Country but a great kid, really lively and a great character. I’m really happy we’re at North together.”

Comben – a great contested mark – will learn under Todd Goldstein as an athletic big man. North recruiter Mark Finnigan said that he wasn’t on the club’s draft board 12 months ago.

But after a booming season – where he went from local footy to the MCG – the Roos were rapt to get him.

Rewind 12 months and Perez was close to the top of Finnigan’s list.

But an ACL suffered at training in December left the former soccer player devastated, fearing his dream was over.

Enter impressive North recruiter Trent Mosbey, who had a heart-to-heart with Perez at a testing day.

Charlie Comben gathers possession for Gippsland Power in the NAB League.
“Trent came up to me at a testing day and said, ‘You’re not going to be forgotten. Make sure you do your rehab and work hard’ and that’s what I’ve done,” Perez said.

“It was pretty big. He said, ‘I knew once we had that interview with you at Bendigo we had to get you’.

“I think certainly (I can make an impact next year). I’ve worked on my body composition this year and got a bit fitter.”

Perez captained a Victorian soccer team and played nationals before giving the round ball the boot three years ago.

“I played at nationals for three years. That shows I obviously had a little bit of talent, and if I had of gone on with it I could’ve gone somewhere,” he said.

In the middle the Roos picked Jack Mahony, a modern-day midfielder.

Some experts thought Mahony might be the steal of the draft, given he is good at ground level, hits the scoreboard and doesn’t need 30 disposals to change a game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a damn good article. We've had some years where the media has been down on our draft however it's clear we brought three pretty solid kids in with the focus on Flynn who clearly was in a North jumper a year ago.

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
From the Herald Sun:

"North Melbourne has shown faith in a player it had rated one of the best in Australia before he tore his ACL, drafting Bendigo’s Flynn Perez".

They are the banged-up buddies living 400km apart who are set to meet halfway at Arden St.
Vic Country pair Charlie Comben (Sale) and Flynn Perez (Bendigo) were drafted by North Melbourne despite spending about as much time in hospitals as on the football field in recent years.

It’s hard not to shudder just listening to Comben’s journey. Three years ago the key forward broke a wrist and then a collarbone.

Two years ago and Comben shattered his cheekbone and then last year a basketball mishap left the 199cm target with a broken tibia and a fractured kneecap, which was also dislocated.

Ouch.

They were the breaks Comben didn’t need. Last night came the break he did need, when North pounced at No. 31.

“We’ve been in a similar position with injury stuff,” Perez told the Herald Sun.

“I didn’t meet him until this year at Vic Country but a great kid, really lively and a great character. I’m really happy we’re at North together.”

Comben – a great contested mark – will learn under Todd Goldstein as an athletic big man. North recruiter Mark Finnigan said that he wasn’t on the club’s draft board 12 months ago.

But after a booming season – where he went from local footy to the MCG – the Roos were rapt to get him.

Rewind 12 months and Perez was close to the top of Finnigan’s list.

But an ACL suffered at training in December left the former soccer player devastated, fearing his dream was over.

Enter impressive North recruiter Trent Mosbey, who had a heart-to-heart with Perez at a testing day.

“Trent came up to me at a testing day and said, ‘You’re not going to be forgotten. Make sure you do your rehab and work hard’ and that’s what I’ve done,” Perez said.

“It was pretty big. He said, ‘I knew once we had that interview with you at Bendigo we had to get you’.

“I think certainly (I can make an impact next year). I’ve worked on my body composition this year and got a bit fitter.”

Perez captained a Victorian soccer team and played nationals before giving the round ball the boot three years ago.

“I played at nationals for three years. That shows I obviously had a little bit of talent, and if I had of gone on with it I could’ve gone somewhere,” he said.

In the middle the Roos picked Jack Mahony, a modern-day midfielder.

Some experts thought Mahony might be the steal of the draft, given he is good at ground level, hits the scoreboard and doesn’t need 30 disposals to change a game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a damn good article. We've had some years where the media has been down on our draft however it's clear we brought three pretty solid kids in with the focus on Flynn who clearly was in a North jumper a year ago.
I was ready to ask what Dumont was doing there, I was mistaken.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good size, nice feel in his kicking, decent athleticism and good charachter. A fair bit to work with.

Back