Past #39: Flynn Perez - drafted w/ #39 in 2019 ND - 2x ACL - delisted end '23 - 24 NM games / 1 NM goals - thanks Flynn

Sounds like we've already got an agreement with him. Getting a key defender doesn't stop us from getting mids. We'll probably delist Durdin and Daw so we would want another one anyway.
Yeah Hopefully it only "Sounds Like" but isn't. Have we replaced one bunch of bananas in our Football Department with another bunch of bananas in our Football Department? :stern look

Those calling it a pass are really underselling.

Considering the circumstances, I thought it was an excellent debut.

Coming of a knee with complications and no real match practice in an average team under pressure off half back against the top of the ladder team. Did not look out of place.

Played with the composure of a highly rated first round pick.

Everything we need off half back. Tough and composed for starters. Look to see more skill and dare once he’s really settled.

All the best for a great career Flynn. Made a very solid start.

He and Mahoney look like they’ll both fill voids linking from half back/forward respectively - massive issue for us. Lack of skill and decision making to execute in transition.

Obviously identified as an issue - both chosen for those purposes. Good drafting.

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
this kid was so good in his debut. 10/10.

Looking forward to seeing him start to feel confident kicking out of half back.

Like Shaw said, he is a tough little bugger.

He laid some great tackles and did a few well times 1% that lead to turn overs.

He will be a mainstay in the backline next year.

TurnoverMerchant

Vanilla Campaigner
Jul 11, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Reminds me of Dylan Grimes for some reason. If we get a Dylan Grimes-type, minus the diving, that would be fantastic!

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Our U/22’s are fantastic! Its quite refreshing and filled with optimism
yeah couple more to come in the draft, all that matters really is that we have a core of kids coming through together and the path is visible to members/supporters. None of this "aggressive reset" from a few years ago with the same blokes getting games week in week out.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
After he took that big tackle from Dixon he jumped back up and cracked in even harder at the next contest. So good to see. His kicking action is also very fluid.

He could nail down a spot as early as next year with his physique.

What’s people’s thoughts on this future backline? Looks very handy.

Hayden,McKay,EVW
Mcdonald, Tarrant, Perez

I think that is looking likely. Atley to be the 7th defender in the rotation.

EVW is perhaps the one that will be interesting. Like a lot of our players, if he had an extra yard of pace he would jump a level but as he doesn't have it, he will often get burned by the quicker players. Interesting, there is no Walker or Maj and you would expect neither would be KP forwards if Brown and Larkey were available.

Snojet

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think that is looking likely. Atley to be the 7th defender in the rotation.

EVW is perhaps the one that will be interesting. Like a lot of our players, if he had an extra yard of pace he would jump a level but as he doesn't have it, he will often get burned by the quicker players. Interesting, there is no Walker or Maj and you would expect neither would be KP forwards if Brown and Larkey were available.
EVW Doesn’t have the fastest legs but does have a good footy brain that can compensate in many circumstances; cut the angles, know when to go etc. This puts him ahead of many on our list.
I thought he was a bit off his game on Saturday but still didn’t make too many blunders. Reminds me a bit of Sam Wright- doesn’t panic, reliable.
Very happy with Flynn’s debut.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
this kid was so good in his debut. 10/10.

You're a more generous marker than me but it was a good start.

Physically tested and fronted up for more, ran to present an option and got involved.

Have seen better (Kent Kingsley 6.0 - imagine bigfooty hype back then :eek:) and worse (Choppy's lost in space show) debuts which make it difficult to project a career from a debut game. But a solid beginning.

EVW could do with an unhindered pre-season mate.
I hope he will be offered a 1 year deal, but that's not guaranteed. I think McKay will get another contract for sure, but it may come down to Durdin and EVW for 1 list spot.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I hope he will be offered a 1 year deal, but that's not guaranteed. I think McKay will get another contract for sure, but it may come down to Durdin and EVW for 1 list spot.

McKay already has a contract.

Back