Past #39: Flynn Perez - drafted w/ #39 in 2019 ND - 2x ACL - delisted end '23 - 24 NM games / 1 NM goals - thanks Flynn

Remove this Banner Ad

No probs. Judging from last game he seems to have picked up the pace of AFL very quickly, has good pace (not electric), strong tackling, composed in traffic and footskills you want delivering into the forward 50.
Yeah that kick to CZ was pretty special. I just love his defensive work and body positioning already......couple of really clean moments, composed by hand as well, gives off and blocks....signs were really good.

No probs. Judging from last game he seems to have picked up the pace of AFL very quickly, has good pace (not electric), strong tackling, composed in traffic and footskills you want delivering into the forward 50.
I see mid potential through the quick hands, the standing in the tackle and dishing off, able to think through congestion then use it well.

The issue will be tank size - without him playing his final year the jury may still be out on that one.

Maybe back line for next year in the AFL but also a few games in the mids in the VFL to see what he can do there.

Flynn a soccer star on the rise

Kristen Alebakis

September 11 2013 - 4:39PM

BUDDING sports star Flynn Perez says he isn’t ready to decide between playing soccer or footy.

The Bendigo boy has just been selected as captain of the School Sports Victoria Soccer team and will compete at the national championships later this month.

The 12-year-old is just one of two country players to be selected in the team, with the rest of the squad picked from Melbourne.

Perez said he was surprised to have been picked in the soccer team.

“There are so many good players in the whole of Victoria, so when I got picked I was surprised,” he said.

“It still hasn’t sunk in.”

Perez also won the Bendigo Junior Football League under 12B best and fairest with St Killians St Peters.

The Grade 6 student said he was passionate about both soccer and footy and would continue to compete in both.
Bendigo Skills Acquisition Program co-ordinator Nick Mammone said it was good to see Perez rewarded for his hard work.

“To get into the Victorian team you need to go through local trials, regional trials and then metro trials,” he said.

“It is very difficult to get a guernsey, so it is a credit to him.”

Mammone said Perez would now be able to test his ability against some of the country’s best young soccer players.

SKILLED: Soccer player Flynn Perez showing off his skills. Picture: JIM ALDERSEY

SKILLED: Soccer player Flynn Perez showing off his skills. Picture: JIM ALDERSEY

Must of had a busy weekend if he was playing both soccer and AFL.

Thanks GR his involvements were even better than recollections from watching in real time.

His bodytype, movement and quick reactions remind a lot of Taylor Garner.

Key differences are Garner's attack being up another level (right now) and Perez's skills being smoother. But their movement into and around contests reminds me of one another.

Thanks for putting this together GR. He already has better tackling technique and intensity than some of his senior team mates, also liked that he showed composure under pressure - delayed giving off handballs, took some time to assess before kicking.

I gotta say though, some of those highlights were him receiving a handball or giving one off in the clear. I know he's only played a few games but really now :p I guess his handball technique looks very good in comparison to some of the other guys in our team :)

Thanks GR his involvements were even better than recollections from watching in real time.

His bodytype, movement and quick reactions remind a lot of Taylor Garner.

Key differences are Garner's attack being up another level (right now) and Perez's skills being smoother. But their movement into and around contests reminds me of one another.
there is another point of difference that i hope remains a point of difference.

Rowell a shoe-in as Darcy and Gerard didn't get to give it to him this year.
If Rowell comes back from injury playing anywhere near what he was producing early this year, he'd justifiably win the Rising Star in a canter. There were a few games where Rowell could conceivably have received 3 Brownlow votes, where he got 20+ disposals, 2 goals, 5+ tackles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really rate this kid - made of the right stuff. Fits us perfectly and has huge upside, can prob evolve into the middle but finally be the lock down (small fwd defender) we refuse to develop or bring in - god small fwds have and continue to kill us.

this kid has leadership written all over him - should make Simkin captain next year and eventually get this kid in the leadership group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back