Past Heath Grundy - Farewell Reg, retired 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

would they name him at FF in the 2s if he's dealing with OP? Wouldn't they just rest him?
none of this makes much sense to me. He's been fantastic at FB for us this year. Is he really out of favour with the selectors because Tomahawk and Reiwoldt had great games against us? They are gun forwards in great form. Reiwoldt played out of his mind that day. Didn't Rampe get towelled up by those two as well? Nuh, it doesn't smell right.

Post on RWO says he's been managing an OP issue for some time.
I wonder why not list him as injured and rest him and not play NEAFL.

True but they could at least keep him in his rightful spot in the 22 so he can play out the year and be part of our losing preliminary final team!
Ha, not suggesting he’s played his last game. More referring to completion of current contract, even though I would’ve thought he had another year in him. Who really knows what will happen?

It would be great to see what Cameron can offer at senior level before we drop him for next week.....

Well the way I see it we can't go into the really tough matches with two ruckmen. Only way Cameron can force his way into the team and stay there is if he can prove to be as good a tap ruckman as Sinclair, and move around the ground like Sinclair as that would allow Longmire to play Sinclair as a forward, which is what Sinclair is naturally better at anyway.

Well the way I see it we can't go into the really tough matches with two ruckmen. Only way Cameron can force his way into the team and stay there is if he can prove to be as good a tap ruckman as Sinclair, and move around the ground like Sinclair as that would allow Longmire to play Sinclair as a forward, which is what Sinclair is naturally better at anyway.

What if he plays mainly up forward, gets up the wings to give us a link, kicks 2 goals and chops out in the ruck with 10-15 hitouts?

Cameron will be close to our best contested mark out there. Franklin, Cameron and McCartin can all share the forward line.

Let’s wait and see... I’ve been a strong advocate for three tall forwards so I am pretty keen to see how it plays out!

Note: have to remember that Cameron played WAFL mainly as a CHF that chops out in the ruck...

What if he plays mainly up forward, gets up the wings to give us a link, kicks 2 goals and chops out in the ruck with 10-15 hitouts?

Cameron will be close to our best contested mark out there. Franklin, Cameron and McCartin can all share the forward line.

Let’s wait and see... I’ve been a strong advocate for three tall forwards so I am pretty keen to see how it plays out!

Note: have to remember that Cameron played WAFL mainly as a CHF that chops out in the ruck...

My hunch? Buddy a late out, hence Cameron coming in as a forward chopping out in the ruck.
No doubt Buddy looks sore. Two 6 day breaks don't help & we will need him more against the Bombers at Etihad.
SCG game so no way they will name Buddy early as an out so as to get the crowd.
If not Buddy, then Sinclair who was also very sore at the end of the match.
We do seem to be nursing our players with these 6 day breaks.

My hunch? Buddy a late out, hence Cameron coming in as a forward chopping out in the ruck.
No doubt Buddy looks sore. Two 6 day breaks don't help & we will need him more against the Bombers at Etihad.
SCG game so no way they will name Buddy early as an out so as to get the crowd.
If not Buddy, then Sinclair who was also very sore at the end of the match.
We do seem to be nursing our players with these 6 day breaks.

Definitely possible!

I am definitely keen though to see Buddy (when fit*) push up the ground and use his exceptional field kicking to improve our forward entries. Reckon that can only happen with two other talls (one potentially being a ruck-forward).

In first before my entitled opinion is taken by the ignorant few on here, that I think I know better than Longmire and his band of merry men but this Grundy situation is a load of s**t as was the line that he is struggling. Yes he might get beat for speed on the lead and certain match ups don't suit but if he has not been our most solid defender this year I will stand ******. Don't know what the **** they are seeing or thinking sometimes. You only have to look at Newman being kept in the side in front of Robinson on last weeks efforts. Once again Newman was as soft as Aeroplane ****ing jelly left out in the sun and looking like a nervous wreck with the ball in his hands. Robinson on the other hand without racking up Tom Mitchell stats put his head over the ball, tackled and chased like a maniac and on 3 separate instances come up with the goods in pressure situations that were vital to us winning. Not been a big wrap for him so far but credit where it is due. Back to Grundy, said in another post that if this goes down the track it looks like it is at the moment they can GAGF. The Sun goes down on all careers but for now, One it is not warranted at the moment and Two it is ******* Reg FFS ! Champion of this Football Club.

In first before my entitled opinion is taken by the ignorant few on here, that I think I know better than Longmire and his band of merry men but this Grundy situation is a load of s**t as was the line that he is struggling. Yes he might get beat for speed on the lead and certain match ups don't suit but if he has not been our most solid defender this year I will stand ******. Don't know what the **** they are seeing or thinking sometimes. You only have to look at Newman being kept in the side in front of Robinson on last weeks efforts. Once again Newman was as soft as Aeroplane ****ing jelly left out in the sun and looking like a nervous wreck with the ball in his hands. Robinson on the other hand without racking up Tom Mitchell stats put his head over the ball, tackled and chased like a maniac and on 3 separate instances come up with the goods in pressure situations that were vital to us winning. Not been a big wrap for him so far but credit where it is due. Back to Grundy, said in another post that if this goes down the track it looks like it is at the moment they can GAGF. The Sun goes down on all careers but for now, One it is not warranted at the moment and Two it is ******* Reg FFS ! Champion of this Football Club.

I agree on Robbo.
Late change.
Buddy or Sinclair for Robbo.
Maybe JPK for Robbo but Robbo should be there before Newman on last week's game.
I also reckon Reg is not 100%.
But if he plays in tbe NEAFL than yeah, it may going down tne ROK path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree on Robbo.
Late change.
Buddy or Sinclair for Robbo.
Maybe JPK for Robbo but Robbo should be there before Newman on last week's game.
I also reckon Reg is not 100%.
But if he plays in tbe NEAFL than yeah, it may going down tne ROK path.

If that is the case then Some including myself have got the wrong end of the stick and I hope it is the case because he is not ready to go to pasture yet. He could fall off the cliff quickly in between seasons end and next like O'keefe but there are no red flags at the minute. If there is no match up for him fine but he is more than contributing.

its not that he has played that poorly. it is a proactive move to get someone in that offers something offensively.

If that is the case then Some including myself have got the wrong end of the stick and I hope it is the case because he is not ready to go to pasture yet. He could fall off the cliff quickly in between seasons end and next like O'keefe but there are no red flags at the minute. If there is no match up for him fine but he is more than contributing.
We've 'got 7 rounds to go plus finals & we seem to limp into finals so I'm hoping this is all part of making sure some of our old fellows can get through the best case scenario of another 10 or 11 matches.
Reg had surgery in the off season so perhaps that's all it is.

Reg was at his 2017 All-Australian contention form only 3 wks ago. Marsh/Aliir were great last week, but to think they have overtaken a champion KPD after a handful of games is jumping the gun. Club is well aware of Aliir's traits intimately yet he remained on the outer for over a yr. Will take more games to convince than the recent norf win. Usually after one 'too slow, too defensive' media excuse/comment comes out, everyone jumps onboard. The game twists and turns quickly. Pretty sure as soon as we lose a game, the Reg love will turn 180.

Last edited:
I think we need our defenders to be attacking players now.
If you look at our last two goals last week, they both came from a forward entering kick from Rampe.
So we have Rampe, Jones & Aliir that can do that & make us more dangerous as opposed to Smith, Reg & Lloyd who are very much players that just pump out a safe kick option more often than not.
Marsh is a capable attcking defender but he needs to do it more than last week.

Treat a club great like s**t, get rolled by a neafl side, guess we got what we deserved
From where I was sitting at the ground, we could've really used an out-and-out defender today. The match committee should take a long hard look at themselves (although not as long nor as hard as the look at themselves the 22 picked should take).

So the excuse given is that they wanted to reward the players who played well last week so couldn't find a spot for Reg. I can guarantee you if we were playing a Richmond, Collingwood or West Coast that wouldn't have been the case. This means that the match committee was guilty of underestimating Gold Coast today, and not surprisingly it filtered through to the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back