Senior List
Oct 25, 2006
victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
australia, victoria
Re: 39. Heath Hocking

If Rama wasn't on da rookie list i recckon hocko would have been elevated instead of him. I think he is something special.

Has been an interesting discussion point recently with some debate over how people see his skills. Having seen him play a good portion of his footy for the last 3 years i feel i am in a good position to discuss him.
For a start he has good skills. All along he has been good at hitting targets. Very rarely kicks to ball directly to the opposition. If he makes a mistake it is usually that he kicks one just short of his target or puts it over their head. Particulary when he gets a bit tired. He is pretty creative in close and he does have good vision. A number of times i have seen him when under pressure spot players over 30 meters away and switch play and hit them on the chest. He isnt ever going to be called the most skillful at a club but he is good in the area and has a very decent long left foot kick.
Becasue of injury last year and a few niggles this year he hasnt always spent a lot of time in the midfield. Has often seen the half forward line or the bench due to rotations.The game against the Bullants last week was the first time he has spent a full day in the midfield this year and he was very good. He has averaged over 20 possessions (lowest 14 , highest 36) this year and has been as good as any of our other young midfielders. Has kicked a few goals but his set shots for goal havn't been great this year.
Another of his upsides is his tackling. He is very strong and very good in this area and he has a good enough build to be very hard at the footy.
There is a question mark over his pace. It is not that he is slow but more that he doesnt really have what you would call explosive pace. He can excellerate nicely but thats about it as far as speed goes.
I think the best way to describe him is a Jason Johnson type player with a bit of a upgrade in skills.
Can he make it ? Well it is still very much 50/50 but he has done enough this year to deserve a shot IMO.

Bombs Away

All Australian
Oct 16, 2006
South
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Packers

Has been an interesting discussion point recently with some debate over how people see his skills. Having seen him play a good portion of his footy for the last 3 years i feel i am in a good position to discuss him.
For a start he has good skills. All along he has been good at hitting targets. Very rarely kicks to ball directly to the opposition. If he makes a mistake it is usually that he kicks one just short of his target or puts it over their head. Particulary when he gets a bit tired. He is pretty creative in close and he does have good vision. A number of times i have seen him when under pressure spot players over 30 meters away and switch play and hit them on the chest. He isnt ever going to be called the most skillful at a club but he is good in the area and has a very decent long left foot kick.
Becasue of injury last year and a few niggles this year he hasnt always spent a lot of time in the midfield. Has often seen the half forward line or the bench due to rotations.The game against the Bullants last week was the first time he has spent a full day in the midfield this year and he was very good. He has averaged over 20 possessions (lowest 14 , highest 36) this year and has been as good as any of our other young midfielders. Has kicked a few goals but his set shots for goal havn't been great this year.
Another of his upsides is his tackling. He is very strong and very good in this area and he has a good enough build to be very hard at the footy.
There is a question mark over his pace. It is not that he is slow but more that he doesnt really have what you would call explosive pace. He can excellerate nicely but thats about it as far as speed goes.
I think the best way to describe him is a Jason Johnson type player with a bit of a upgrade in skills.
Can he make it ? Well it is still very much 50/50 but he has done enough this year to deserve a shot IMO.

Great report ant and I also think he deserves a shot at being put on the list.

Just an observation on Hocking over the last two weeks and that is the club must be impressed with his motor becasue he is the one midfielder that they dont rotate off the ground. He has more times than not been sent to half back to pick someone up when he has been out of the middle.
Against the Bullant's he was only rotated to the bench 4 times and yesterday he only went to the bench twice and the second time was not a rotation. He had to come up after being hit head high in a marking contest.
It doesnt seem to effect him a lot as he is still going hard at the end of games. The only real worry for him is i think he starts to feel his legs a bit when he kicks late in the game and he doesnt get the same penetration as early on.

Had a big game yesterday for Bendigo in the VFL final. 31 possessions 3 goals,9 tackles, 9 marks and clearly our best player. Great game that IMO should cement a spot on the list for next year.
If we dont promote him someone else will pick him up as i know a couple of other clubs have put out the feelers for him.

RED AND BLACK SOLDIER

All Australian
Aug 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Should definitely get promoted to the senior list for next year, and hopefully cement a spot in the 22. Hocking should have become a key midfielder and develop into the hard running inside midfielder with good skills we've been needing. Will be very suprised if he doesn't get promoted and in the side week in week out next year.

TheDon35

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
cricket

Should definitely get promoted to the senior list for next year, and hopefully cement a spot in the 22. Hocking should have become a key midfielder and develop into the hard running inside midfielder with good skills we've been needing. Will be very suprised if he doesn't get promoted and in the side week in week out next year.

Have to disagree with you on Hocking. Doesn't look like he has enough tools to make a meaningful impact at senior level over a number of seasons.

Have to disagree with you on Hocking. Doesn't look like he has enough tools to make a meaningful impact at senior level over a number of seasons.

So i guess the interest shown by a couple of other clubs is based on something other than football tools ;)

Apr 30, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Not even to replace the C grade midfielders?

Nope.

We've been replacing C grade midfielders with B grade for too long and those B grades have quickly become C.

Either trade for a better player(Judd,Prismall) or invest in Dempsey, Hislop, Houli who have a much higher upside.

He can only replace Pev or JJ. JJ for mine is finished and Pev has a year to go as transition and backup for the younger guys.

SOT4

Club Legend
Jul 24, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon

Why is Prismall better than Hocking? Both have dominated at VFL level, and Prismall hasn't taken the next step with the chances he has gotten.

hulld

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
VIC
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Rockets, Storm, Cowboys

prismall's foot skills are quite sublime, whilst hocking's are bad they aren't as good as prismall

lomey

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat, Barcelona FC

Haynes shows about as much as dyson does dont understand why we have dyson but not haynes. Both as bad as each other!

Longy413

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Haynes? :confused:

Ben Haynes?

You feeling alright?

Very good kick on both sides.
Good pace, not overly quick but not slow.
Read the play well and had very good hands. Good on the lead.

Had all the tools, but was soft, pea hearted and lacked work rate.

Ben Haynes was a good footballer, but he never had the ticker to get the most out of himself.

Back