VFL Past #77: Heath Hocking - Coach of JHA

Remove this Banner Ad

They'll both move on to other things. Them playing VFL next year, would seem kind of...sad.
Pretty much this. I'd rather recruit a 25 year old in all honesty anyway.

Always had time for Hocking as a player. He was much more effective that it seemed but I think the reality that our midfield was so slow and defensively un-accountable made him seem to be more of a problem than he was.

I have to say, though, that I'm bemused that this is how it has ended. From 'comeback Buddah, be part of our Comeback Story, we love you' to 'thanks but you won't be offered another contract'.

I don't care that it's form over substance, that was our list management strategy inviting the players back. This doesn't feel very dignified.

The only reason we didn't need him was dumb luck. Our midfield group got through the year almost completely unscathed, and when we did need him he was waiting in the wings rearing to go. No doubt in my mind he served a purpose this year

He hasn't stuck his hand up and said he's retiring, so it has a bit of Boomer Harvey about it. I'm sure the club would've held the media conference and let him retire gracefully if he wanted that, but at least it's been announced singularly and we have time to celebrate him, instead of four at once heading into a finals series.

Onya Buddha!
Great final game vs Freo from out of the crowd & my fave was the game vs the Pies pre Asada bullshit.
30 odd touches and a few goals out of the guts including the match winner!

Good luck in you future endeavours whatever they may be, Legend!

how long does the club need to pay lip service to 'saga-afflicted' players for? he's a big boy, reckon maybe he can take it.

He has handled it well and has handled it with class but the point was the club begged him to sign on again as they needed a first signing and then never gave him a look in. They even left him out of the first JLT game when everyone came back other than the injured players.
In the end it is the right call but in all honesty he could have done anything Howlett did this year and played a few more games.
The odd part is his body is as good as it has been for 5 or 6 years right now. Having been out of the game for virtually two years certainly hurt him early on.

Well done Heath. 12 years and 126 games, life membership and his name on the 39 locker for good. Not bad for a second round rookie pick.

We won more often than not with Heath in the team. As another big body in the mid, he was able to protect Jobe, Heppell and Stanton, and was a big reason why Jobe won the Brownlow.

Tough, serviceable player who always gave it his all. Well done on a great career Heath :thumbsu:

Always felt his impact was understated by most.
Can remember a graphic popping up in a game once and it showed that, statistically at least, he was our most important midfielder at the coal face.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason we didn't need him was dumb luck. Our midfield group got through the year almost completely unscathed, and when we did need him he was waiting in the wings rearing to go. No doubt in my mind he served a purpose this year

And it's fortunate that we didn't need him because he wasn't capable.

The 12 months they only ever intended to have Hocking on the list is about right. If we've gone this far, it's a harmless little gesture.
Bingo. He and the others lost a year because of us ultimately, so it's the least we owed any of them.

And it's fortunate that we didn't need him because he wasn't capable.

We'll never know, but I think he was more up to it than it looks from the outside. Yeah Howlett and Bird were putting up better numbers in the VFL but if we gave him the opportunities we gave the other two this year I think his output would have been better.

Absolute warrior. The kind of player who in 20 years I will remember fondly as being a proper "Essendon" player. Not the most athleticly gifted bloke, but got the absolute best out of himself. All the best Buddha. Thanks for everything you have done for the Red and Black!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Love Buddha - spent the year in the magoos, not a peep and gave everything . Called up to seniors in final round...totally physically and mentally prepared, plays a role, kicks two, helps get us into finals. Dropped for final - not a peep.

Been a totally team oriented warrior for twelve years and would be universally respected within and without the club. Was a better pure footballer than he was given credit for at times.

There was a time when he was one of our best mids. Think 2011.

I remember being at that 2011 shitheap of an elimination final against Carlton. He, Gussy and Stants were the only three good players for us that day.

Might not have been the most talented player, but he certainly was one of the players that always put in 100% every time he went on the field.

He was the sort of player those at the club love but those outside rarely rave about.

Thanks for 10 years of fantastic service Buddah,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back