VFL Past #77: Heath Hocking - Coach of JHA

Remove this Banner Ad

After seeing Liam Picken go from being a stymie tagger to goal kicking match winner, I hope we can release Heath from his tagging duties and let him play a more attacking game. We saw in the Collingwood game at the end of the 2015 season what he can do when not tagging.

Was always an inside ball winner in the TAC averaging over 25 possessions. The knock was everyone said he was too slow and then in his top age year he broke his arm and missed the Champ series . Kicking eff was over 80% during his time at Eastern Ranges.

The thing I have always liked about him, is he can deliver the ball accurately.
Pretty much defies the stereotype, for the type of player that he is.

Was always an inside ball winner in the TAC averaging over 25 possessions. The knock was everyone said he was too slow and then in his top age year he broke his arm and missed the Champ series . Kicking eff was over 80% during his time at Eastern Ranges.

IMO we should be greatful he did break his arm as I suspect he may have been picked earlier had he been fit in his top age year
Came through with a pretty strong junior side at Mooroolbark (3 draftees, M Jones and Pederson being the other 2) and none were that teams best player through primary school years lol

Should hocking play half forward early days he could get off the chain a bit with the opposition not paying him respect. As he showed late last year he's got a reasonable leap and decent kick on him so he could surprise a few if he's pushed out of midfield by the younger talent (Heppell, Zerrett, parish, pick 1 etc)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“We’re training pretty hard and it’s a bit of a shock to the system,” Hocking said.

“We’ve come from training three days a week last year, to five days a week now.

“But it has been good and I’m enjoying it.

“They’re (fitness staff) looking after us, not knowing what can happen. We’ve got ten players who have done something a bit different than usual so that’s always something to look out for.

“They’re getting us through sessions and pulling us out at the right times which has been good.”

Essendon's fitness staff have paid close attention to the returning players ‘change of direction’ throughout this pre-season.

“We did a lot of straight line running, but our change of direction – load wise – was a lot lower (last year),” Hocking said.

“We’re just making sure it’s controlled and we’re not pulling up sore in our groins.

“They’re really looking after us and I think it’s helping.”

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-01-10/hockings-pleasant-shock

love the Mooroolbark boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back