AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Out for extended period with stress fracture in foot - 16/2

Remove this Banner Ad

26 - baldwin.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 33, Zach Package

Last edited by a moderator:

Pre-season vid. Don't remember if he's been interviewed on the club website before 🤔
Mentions how much confidence he gained from playing those games and how much better his head space is for playing them.:cool:

That doesn’t make it the right decision.

I will die on this hill if I have to!

Well I can only talk from experience. Guess you have to live it to know it.

I don’t know knee injuries. I do know risk management.
And it proved to be no risk.
Not like we are talking about rushing him back. They actually gave him a longer build up than normal. They have to play at some stage.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
And it proved to be no risk.
Not like we are talking about rushing him back. They actually gave him a longer build up than normal. They have to play at some stage.
Well that just not right.
Anyway, we will never agree on this one Ant.

Well that just not right.
Anyway, we will never agree on this one Ant.

What is not correct ? He did his second knee injury in June 2020 (partial tear) and played again over 12 months later. The turn around is generally 9 to 10 months .
I was told from inside the club they eased him along longer than they needed to. Not much more I can say really. I have lived it twice and have spoken to people within the club about it.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
What is not correct ? He did his second knee injury in June 2020 (partial tear) and played again over 12 months later. The turn around is generally 9 to 10 months .
I was told from inside the club they eased him along longer than they needed to. Not much more I can say really. I have lived it twice and have spoken to people within the club about it.
The statement there was no risk is incorrect. There was risk, it didn’t come
to fruition. The fact it didn’t come to fruition doesn’t make it a good decision.

We are coming at this from different perspectives, let’s just agree to
disagree.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
to fruition. The fact it didn’t come to fruition doesn’t make it a good decision.

disagree.
Once at high school we were talking about the chances this particular girl would date my mate. It’s seemed unlikely but not impossible. Most were estimating 10-1 or 20-1. Except my mate who said well i don’t think she would date him but it’s obviously 50-50. She either will or she won’t. There are only two choices. 50-50.

This discussion about risk sort of reminds me of that.

disagree.

disagree.
Just out of interest when should he play ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said at the time….I would have waited until this season.

Okay but that would be extremely unusual as far as time line goes. 99% of cases would have generally played 2 months before Baldwin did.
As far as the game goes the fact it was a scratch match really does not make any different to it being 4 x 10 minute quarters in a VFL game or even an intra club draining drill. Not sure about difference in risk between playing an organized scratch match after 14 months is compared to doing the full training load and game sense drills in January after 19 months is. Even more so under an AFL rehab program. There is always some risk. Other than accidental contact if the ACL is going to fail again then it is going to fail. It would go doing a training block or a game if it was destined to fail.
The club has actually taken a conservative path with all injuries after the Daniher debacle.

Langford coming back early and reinsuring his hamstring is evidence to the contrary.

Happy with how we’ve handled Baldwin though
Langford got a knee to the hammy the second time. It was purely accidental that he missed again. Getting kneed in the same hammy started the bleeding again.

Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Packers, Bucks, Pens, M's, Chelsea
I said at the time….I would have waited until this season.
A different pesrspective is that just maybe the club wanted him to play time in those games (15% - 25% - 75%) to just see how the rehab had performed.

With no points on the line, these games were a giggle and kick at best; aimed at getting guys on the park under a managed competative environment and both teams first aim would have been not to injure each other.

If the rehab was so far off and we held him back until this year only for him to tear the knee again, 1000's would be saying that they should have tried him last year just to see where he was at.

I have no doubt that even in modified training with the team, that it would have been mopre physical that what took place in two kick around matches.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Langford got a knee to the hammy the second time. It was purely accidental that he missed again. Getting kneed in the same hammy started the bleeding again.

Still feel like that was clearly exacerbated by rushing him back early. Contusions don’t reset the injury time of strains.

Still feel like that was clearly exacerbated by rushing him back early. Contusions don’t reset the injury time of strains.

Well the bleeding does. The word I have is he was fine and got a corky in the same hamstring that lead to another partial tear.
Anyway this has nothing to do with Baldwin and the fact playing a couple of quarters in a scratch match proved to be beneficial. :)

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons

disagree.
There's risk to him starting lateral movement training, risk to starting contact training, risk when doing match sim.

They mitigated the risk as much as possible by holding him back and building him up the way they did. If playing helped his head space i'm all for it. It wasn't a high risk approach and you could argue playing him this coming season is every bit as risky as late August.

Serious question; is he a chance to debut in the first few rounds and impact this year ?

Everything you read and hear, he is doing exceptionally well.

Generally I would say he most likely will need some VFL footy given his tally of game time will be some quarters in a couple of scratch matches in close to 19 months once the pre season games start. You never know. He could do a Harry Jones and surprise.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Generally I would say he most likely will need some VFL footy given his tally of game time will be some quarters in a couple of scratch matches in close to 19 months once the pre season games start. You never know. He could do a Harry Jones and surprise.

Sounds like it is all going to come down to fitness (literally endurance) and the ability to make repeat efforts. Hoping he can do well and we manage to see him this year. Would be nice to see a hulking young forward at senior level again.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Hopefully the VFL have some scratch matches going before the season starts this year

I still think he might need injury to play round 1. Even both Francis and Baldwin could miss if we want to go a bit smaller and play Langford/Stringer as the 3rd/4th which Dodoro did imply

Sounds like it is all going to come down to fitness (literally endurance) and the ability to make repeat efforts. Hoping he can do well and we manage to see him this year. Would be nice to see a hulking young forward at senior level again.
His fitness might be ok, he'd have spent a lot of time running straight lines and on the bike during his rehab

Remove this Banner Ad

Back