Player Watch #39 Mate Colina

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s a scholarship player at Hawaii, which generally means you cannot make any financial gain from sporting endeavours. So I doubt that Mate is getting paid.

It was also well reported that Mate chose RFC over Collingwood because Collingwood demanded he start straight away. RFC instead allowed him to finish his scholarship at Hawaii.

Lastly the game against Willy, not sure how it came about, but I understand that Hawaii University either found out or were asked to provide consent for him to play (generally a requirement for scholarship players to obtain consent) and they said no. If he played they could have voided his scholarship.

So not taking the piss. In fact everything seems to have happened as anticipated.
I would imagine there would be a Discretionary Trust of sorts set up to accommodate payments for future benefit whilst still receiving some out of pocket expenses related to training, travel, equipment and the like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this guy has the ability to clunk pack marks...look the fk out. As a basketballer he moves ok with good ball skills of course.
Doesn't mean he will have the same abilty' on a footy field of course.

Colina was a Calder Cannon as a junior so unlike almost every other speculative basketball recruit he has a solid football background. Reading the play, basic skills, I mean there should be a very solid foundation to build upon. And at 213 cm and 111 kilograms if he can take a mark, watch out. Lynch being injured and Riewoldt being 33 just shows how exposed we are in big man stocks. If he can provide some support up forward that will be incredibly helpful as we hopefully select and develop a young key forward in this years draft. Will watch the VFL this weekend with intense interest.

At that height there is no need to ever take a mark, just get hands to the ball and wait for the soft free kick. Wouldn't that piss off the AFL if he just stands at full forward and gets free kicks all day for arm chops / blocks / unrealistic spoiling attempts.

A) the free kicks won’t be paid
B) if they were the the rules would be changed

It is going to be great watching the tallest man alive in our colours though. 😁

Colina was a Calder Cannon as a junior so unlike almost every other speculative basketball recruit he has a solid football background. Reading the play, basic skills, I mean there should be a very solid foundation to build upon. And at 213 cm and 111 kilograms if he can take a mark, watch out. Lynch being injured and Riewoldt being 33 just shows how exposed we are in big man stocks. If he can provide some support up forward that will be incredibly helpful as we hopefully select and develop a young key forward in this years draft. Will watch the VFL this weekend with intense interest.
Looks like he was good enough to make the Vic Metro U16s squad in 2015 alongside Balta too:

I don't think he'll be as raw as some might assume.

I think Dimma alluded to the fact he might play VFL this week, so that'll be pretty exciting to see how he goes. Don't expect much game plan sense or game impact yet but hopefully can get a good look at his physical characteristics, size, strength, athleticism, aerobic capacity.

What's his position on the list, say he kills it in the VFL and Soldo/Nank need a rest or get injured, is he eligible to play AFL in 2022 even as a cheaky late debut game to give him a taste of what to work on?

If he goes well in the VFL reckon we debut him in the Prelim against the Dees. Can picture him doing what Cox did to us in 2018....CROTIA, CROTIA, CROTIA 🤩

Not entirely sure you’ve spelt Croatia correctly there Mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back