Player Watch #39 Mate Colina

Remove this Banner Ad

Reports are in. Kicks goals by the hundreds. And if he were playing in Round 14, he'd consume Jacob Weitering with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.

0:21 seconds in that video I’ve got his fingertips at 10 feet off the ground and that is the highest he gets. The highest vertical running jump in draft combine history is 107 cm’s by Mr Leek Aleer. So say Aleer is 195cm, add the 107cm = 302cm head height, Then add his say 50cm arm height about head height. Mr Aleer's fingertips would be around 350cm off the ground, 50cm above the highest we see Colina jump in that video.

So Colina will need to use his size intelligently to be able to get his hands to the ball against some of the best spoilers.

GIF by Achievement Hunter

first disposal of career marks and sets up mrj goal

bring him in afl next week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reports are he's a blend between Cripps and Gawn
And kicks like Georgy!!!
Has a run up kicking for goal twice as long as BB!!!
Has a filthy mouth off!!
Incapable of standing still in one spot (ADS)!!!
Pushes like Porkins...even the umpire!!!
Ducks like minivann spesh when going for a mark!!
Shoots for goal like in basketball...2 handed throws...but longer than 30meters!!!

Cat B rookie, let’s not put any expectations on him. If it works out all good if not well worth a punt.

One thing for certain he’ll improve with more games under his belt. He probably has minimal conditioning for AFL football, is learning the game plan( running patterns etc) , and has probably hardly handled an oval ball in years.

2022 has got to be regarded as a development year

If you guys expected him to dominate a game of VFL, then it says more about you than him.

He hasn't ever played competitive footy (do not count 1 or 2 games with mates when he was in high school).
He has only trained with professional football players for 2 weeks in 18 months - in his life!

The only thing I wanted to see was his movement and athleticism, and that was a bit tick. He's not uncoordinated like Samson Ryan.

If you guys expected him to dominate a game of VFL, then it says more about you than him.

He hasn't ever played competitive footy (do not count 1 or 2 games with mates when he was in high school).
He has only trained with professional football players for 2 weeks in 18 months - in his life!

The only thing I wanted to see was his movement and athleticism, and that was a bit tick. He's not uncoordinated like Samson Ryan.
I just scrolled back to see what you were talking about. I cant see anyone with expectations beyond just getting a kick? A few tongue in cheek posts, but this rant is an odd one.

Ryan is not unco-ordinated. He is under strength, but seems to be improving in that department.

Perfectly happy with Mate last night when you consider the reality of his preparation for this debut. The one physical thing worrying me slightly about him at this early point is he doesn’t seem to be able to jump. But otherwise he moves well and seems to react quickly and has an intent to use his big body to the team’s advantage. He understandably looked very disorientated at times last night but we just need a bit of patience with that. I look forward to what he can produce in about a year from now.

I just scrolled back to see what you were talking about. I cant see anyone with expectations beyond just getting a kick? A few tongue in cheek posts, but this rant is an odd one.
Definitely not ranting, just saying.

I've had the flu all week... probably subconsciously grumpy.

Ryan is not unco-ordinated. He is under strength, but seems to be improving in that department.

Perfectly happy with Mate last night when you consider the reality of his preparation for this debut. The one physical thing worrying me slightly about him at this early point is he doesn’t seem to be able to jump. But otherwise he moves well and seems to react quickly and has an intent to use his big body to the team’s advantage. He understandably looked very disorientated at times last night but we just need a bit of patience with that. I look forward to what he can produce in about a year from now.
Ryan is up for the contest which I really like, he has some rough edges, but he’s improving. Held some good contested marks last night that he was dropping in previous games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back