Past #17: Mitchell Hibberd - won't be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Mitch

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw Mitch play in the midfield for Clarence a few times. Now Tassy footy is in the doldrums but he has talent to burn. Has the ability to play that gut busting wing role, as well as the size to also compete in the air. I like tall wingmen as they can be used to move the ball quickly out of the backline as you know a quick outlet kick will either be marked or make a stoppage.

Wood and Hibberd as 190cm+ marking and running machines on the wings would be a fun time.

Lots of fapping over Mitch which I confess I don't quite get. AFAIC, as with all other younger players I'm hoping he goes on to be a 'Future Hall of Famer' but I can't help wondering if the inordinate amount of acclaim is due to the fact that he BFNAAK, iirc. NTTAWWT, but it all seems a bit over the top for a player that hasn't debuted and whose injury concerns lead me to be cautious as to his career longevity, let alone any heights he might scale. No H8er, BTW.

190cm, 85kg, 3rd in the beep test and I think was top 5 in the 2k. He has shown he can rack it up at VFL level and has good disposal, though apart from his long kicking could probably use a bit of a tidy up. Reckon he is good for 10-15 games next year if he stays fit.

Lots of fapping over Mitch which I confess I don't quite get. AFAIC, as with all other younger players I'm hoping he goes on to be a 'Future Hall of Famer' but I can't help wondering if the inordinate amount of acclaim is due to the fact that he BFNAAK, iirc. NTTAWWT, but it all seems a bit over the top for a player that hasn't debuted and whose injury concerns lead me to be cautious as to his career longevity, let alone any heights he might scale. No H8er, BTW.
Tend to agree.

We like him cos he barracked for North. We like him cos he's a good size for a midfielder. We like him cos he's young and taken fairly high in the draft.

Not sure I've seen much else just yet. He's got good endurance but he's quite slow. Wait and see from me, no fapping.

Hibboist unsighted.

That is extraordinary.

Tend to agree.

We like him cos he barracked for North. We like him cos he's a good size for a midfielder. We like him cos he's young and taken fairly high in the draft.

Not sure I've seen much else just yet. He's got good endurance but he's quite slow. Wait and see from me, no fapping.
Not sure he's slow, he's probably on par with Clarke for speed I reckon. But he did show great resilience in the VFL, which is a great quality. Dislocating his knee a couple of times, whilst not missing too many games and finishing off the year with 34 touches is quite promising. He might not be a stand out player, but I think he'll be the type where you know he'll give his best and do his job week in, week out.

The NMFC version of the Bont, except there's no flog about him.
Needs to play midfield. Inside/outside type has the body/skill and running power to make it as a modern day midfielder.

Has the same sort of style of play as Brendon Goddard without the flog-ness
In a "flog-off" who wins - Goddard or Bont??!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a "flog-off" who wins - Goddard or Bont??!!
Goddard.

It's not even a contest. Goddard regularly pots his own team mates, serially whinges for free kicks and is an unaccountable seagull who hasn't won a contested possession since he joined *. He's the flog's flog and deserves to go down in history as the person who captained * to their worst season in over a century. I wouldn't want him anywhere near Arden St.

I'd have Bont at North in a heartbeat, he's an absolute gun and a natural leader. Sure, his comments about LT were a bit precious but his intent was right (backing a team mate). Show me a 20 year old who hasn't said some dumb sh*t that they later regret.

Goddard.

It's not even a contest. Goddard regularly pots his own team mates, serially whinges for free kicks and is an unaccountable seagull who hasn't won a contested possession since he joined *. He's the flog's flog and deserves to go down in history as the person who captained * to their worst season in over a century. I wouldn't want him anywhere near Arden St.

I'd have Bont at North in a heartbeat, he's an absolute gun and a natural leader. Sure, his comments about LT were a bit precious but his intent was right (backing a team mate). Show me a 20 year old who hasn't said some dumb sh*t that they later regret.

My thoughts as well

Goddard.

Quoted for a seriously excellent post.

Have no idea why Bont is so disliked to be honest, gun and fair/hard player LT's comments notwithstanding. Goddard on the other hand, would have to be close to worst bloke that I can remember in the AFL.

The comparison is extremely strange to me.

Last edited:
Quoted for a seriously excellent post.

Have no idea why Bont is so disliked to be honest, gun and hard player LT's comments notwithstanding. Goddard on the other hand, would have to be close to worst bloke that I can remember in the AFL.

The comparison is extremely strange to me.
Agree with this. Like most, I didn't think he needed to make the comments he made about Thomas, but apart from that he's done nothing to make me think he's a flog. He's a jet and in most interviews I've seen he seems like a decent guy, very little FIGJAM about him at all.

I like the Bont. I think he's a good player and a good bloke, who had one absolutely shitful, w***ery moment of sheer idiocy when he made those comments. I've had more than a few of those myself and am lucky enough to have not had them widely reported.

What's more disappointing than the comments and Bont himself is that we live in an AFL culture where a player can say something like that about a player like LT and have everyone nod along and agree, whereas I think with most other players Bont would've gotten the criticism backlash he deserved over what really was a piss weak move - or possibly he would not even have felt entitled to make the comments in the first place. LT really is an 'acceptable target'.

His bump on Hodge in the semi-final had no less 'malice' than what LT did, and yet Bulldogs fans are still jacking off to it months later. Having different standards for different players, particularly when one is indigenous and one not, is disgusting.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back