Remove this Banner Ad

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
Geesus ! Awful news. Hope it's not acl. Best of luck young fella. Keep your chin up.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
He will get another year, Workplace injury laws will require a 12 month payout if the injury ends his job, so its generally worth keeping them on the list as you have to pay them the same amount anyway
Not to sound crude, but it wouldn't come under the salary cap if its a workplace payment (i think Essendon players were looking at this and it didn't count).

Best of luck Drummo, when the kids met you, you were fantastic talking to them and taking photos, all the very best.

tunksy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
hope its not ACL but they don't sound positive, best of luck to Nathan his recovery from his first ACL was first class. Give him another year on minimum wage.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
Not to sound crude, but it wouldn't come under the salary cap if its a workplace payment (i think Essendon players were looking at this and it didn't count).

Best of luck Drummo, when the kids met you, you were fantastic talking to them and taking photos, all the very best.
Not sure I'd be using the Essendon example as a comparison to a workplace injury

Pretty sure it does fall under the cap and its why you very rarely see a long term injury cost a player his spot on the list.

May 19, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure I'd be using the Essendon example as a comparison to a workplace injury

Pretty sure it does fall under the cap and its why you very rarely see a long term injury cost a player his spot on the list.

I'm fairly certain it doesn't come under the cap. Is it covered under the Afl insurance policy? I feel that's what Jake King took the afl to court and won for.

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep it's a disaster for him and it puts him further behind the pack.
I think we should just rookie him for next year.

Actually - that leads to an interesting idea. Maybe, if a player has played less than 50 games, or is under 21, and misses 2+ years with injury, there could be some relief with the salary cap to allow the player to remain on the list for his rehab/comeback. At that age, the club still dowes not know how good the player is going to be, but now the risk of them not making it is greater, so clubs are less likely to put in the same development.

Who would you rather have - a 20-year old first rounder who hasn't played a game and missed 2 years with injuries, or an 18-year old first rounder in perfect health, who hasn't played a game? There's no contest, really - and that's a bit unfair to the injured kid. (Yeah, the game is unfair, I know).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Actually - that leads to an interesting idea. Maybe, if a player has played less than 50 games, or is under 21, and misses 2+ years with injury, there could be some relief with the salary cap to allow the player to remain on the list for his rehab/comeback. At that age, the club still dowes not know how good the player is going to be, but now the risk of them not making it is greater, so clubs are less likely to put in the same development.

Who would you rather have - a 20-year old first rounder who hasn't played a game and missed 2 years with injuries, or an 18-year old first rounder in perfect health, who hasn't played a game? There's no contest, really - and that's a bit unfair to the injured kid. (Yeah, the game is unfair, I know).
Very good points made there and it's a ruthless industry I must admit . The chances of him making it are severely hampered now ad Stengle , Bolton , Butler , Markov and Menadue are ahead of him with other blokes that will get drafted later in the year.

MattWriting

All Australian
Oct 12, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal + SA Spurs
Update on the AFL website. Good to hear his rehab going well
58e0ac2a172e1ee95eae0742695e7f53.jpg

living_in_syd

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2009
sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
So this guy still survives? He is forever injured and we have quite a few of his types.

In a premiership year I would have preferred to keep Bachelor for insurance in our backline over Drummond. We have plenty of cover in the flanks and midfield, not so much in the backline.

Waste of a list spot in my opinion.

So this guy still survives? He is forever injured and we have quite a few of his types.

In a premiership year I would have preferred to keep Bachelor for insurance in our backline over Drummond. We have plenty of cover in the flanks and midfield, not so much in the backline.

Rated highly internally. Been very unlucky. Big ask to come back from two ACLs but you never know might be worth the risk

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

He was given a contract extension back in May.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back