#39 Neville Jetta - Retired. Thank you Nev 🖤💛❤️

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I remember i got very drunk one night during the dark days and sent Nev an email through the club, telling him what a legend he was for the way he went about it.

And when several posters dubbed him Lord Nev and the Jesus pics caught a bit of embarrassment that we had to shut down.

Class act. I hope he spends retirement having seven hundred children for the 2040s dynasty

El Sketcho

Debutant
Apr 24, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Should certainly be spoken of in the same sentence as Jones when the story is told of the dark days. One of the few who stood up time and time again when that was a very hard thing to do.

* that's hard to watch :cry:, the universal love for Nev is something special, any player who maximises the talent they had and leaves it all out on the field like Nev and Daniel Cross will forever hold my admiration.

Great career mate, you made everyone proud .

AFL 2022: Coup for Magpies as Neville Jetta joins Collingwood Football Club (theage.com.au)

Collingwood have scored a major coup securing highly-respected former Demon Neville Jetta as a development coach in 2022.

:(

King Kunta

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Collingwood had a go at trading him in as a player a few years back from memory. They must value him (and why wouldn't they). Good luck Nev.

Should certainly be spoken of in the same sentence as Jones when the story is told of the dark days. One of the few who stood up time and time again when that was a very hard thing to do.
I don’t know if I’d go quite that far. He played 6 games in 2012 and 5 games in 2013 and was delisted. Only really came good under Roos. Wouldn’t have been many clubs making offers to him, unlike Jones, who continued to put in and improve under Neeld.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Surprised we didn't keep him on the books in some capacity as he's done a great job with the indigenous players. Is Matty Whelan still involved at the club with mentoring the indigenous players? Maybe Nev will come back to that role if Wrecker ever moves on? I wonder what impact Nev leaving will have on Kozzy?

Collingwood had a go at trading him in as a player a few years back from memory. They must value him (and why wouldn't they). Good luck Nev.

Going to play some VFL games for us Next Year

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Going to play some VFL games for us Next Year

He was still reasonable at VFL level this year. Hopefully he doesn’t get anymore head knocks as he has struggled a bit with concussion in recent times.

Neville is a quality human. Collingwood have done well to get him and it won’t hurt their culture or image given the ‘Do better’ report fall out.

El Sketcho

Debutant
Apr 24, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don’t know if I’d go quite that far. He played 6 games in 2012 and 5 games in 2013 and was delisted. Only really came good under Roos. Wouldn’t have been many clubs making offers to him, unlike Jones, who continued to put in and improve under Neeld.

I think that's by and large fair. But definitely showed exceptional character to stick with it and become one of the best (or better?) small defenders in the league. You can argue that at a better club he doesn't get that chance after being delisted, but his determination to get the most out of himself and not quit was a standout among our list and culture.

You could also argue (in hindsight) that how he was used and then delisted was indicative of the people making those decisions at that period of time

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Hard to think of a player that improved themselves so much from early career to peak career. Delisted to one of the best players in his position for a few seasons. There are probably others, but very hard to do. Incredible resilience.

I’ll always remember his two big bumps in the 2018 finals series on Selwood and then Tom Mitchell and his neat disposal out of the backline.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I don't wanna s**t on Jetta because I do love the bloke and what he did for us. A battler is always my fav type of player.

It is funny that his neat kicking is hailed, like it's lauded because he never tried a risky kick. Which is fine but other players would have been slammed for it

Islanda22

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
Very surprised we didn't offer him some type of role at the Club

Is it true he will be playing VFL for the Pies?

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I don't wanna sh*t on Jetta because I do love the bloke and what he did for us. A battler is always my fav type of player.

It is funny that his neat kicking is hailed, like it's lauded because he never tried a risky kick. Which is fine but other players would have been slammed for it
Nothing wrong with knowing your limitations and retaining the ball more often than not IMO. Guys like TMac and Hunt shouldn’t be trying to hit risky options into the corridor as first option cause their field kicking sucks. Plenty of teams with dedicated kickers at half back, so I didn’t mind Jetta’s use.

Jetta took more risks and backed himself in 1v1 contests, which makes up for his lack of risk disposing the ball, nothing wrong with playing to your strengths and feeding out to your distrubutors like salem

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Remember when Jamie Bennell showed more promise than Nev coming from same draft year and similar pick range.

Deelighted

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Remember when Jamie Bennell showed more promise than Nev coming from same draft year and similar pick range.
Really thought there was a good player there, showed some promise forward and back just never seemed to get involved in the game enough. One of many who were apparently going to be "unMelbourned" after joining a new club, but did nothing at WC either.

Just a further credit to Nev (and Roosy) for the career he managed to put together when you look at the huge amount of kids we took earlier in the draft who didn't make it.

Back