saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Think you'll only see one of GAJ or Danger up there at a time.

If it's both I'd expect Hibb to take the other one.

Hibs one on one defending is very underrated some see just him as an attacking half backer but his ability to contest in the air is very very good

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Fair dinkum at some point someone has to sit down and say ' this is the way the game is played' which is when you see the ball you go for it. Then everything else that happens has to be excused as part of the game.

I don't give a * if you are the smartest toughest bloke on earth, if you see a 110kg 6'6 bloke coming full tilt towards you you will brace and protect your ribs.
Absolute ******* joke if he goes for it.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Fair dinkum at some point someone has to sit down and say ' this is the way the game is played' which is when you see the ball you go for it. Then everything else that happens has to be excused as part of the game.

I don't give a **** if you are the smartest toughest bloke on earth, if you see a 110kg 6'6 bloke coming full tilt towards you you will brace and protect your ribs.
Absolute ******* joke if he goes for it.

That plus Brown did literally nothing to protect himself, he should have turned his body also

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
That plus Brown did literally nothing to protect himself, he should have turned his body also
Yeah, even if he did get a week, it would have been a big chance of getting off at the Tribunal ... if a 180cm guy bumps a 200cm player in the head without jumping, if very likely the 200cm guy's fault ... which was probably what saw him with no case to answer anyway

DeesFanTheMan

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs, NUFC
Irony of the rule though, if Brown protects himself and lays out Jetta he probably gets 3 weeks. You can't win anymore
I would expect the precedent set by Viney challenging at the tribunal would hold up, they are allowed to turn their body and brace for impact.

Like Douglas?
Not even comparable? Douglas elected to bump without making any attempt on the ball - it wasn’t dirty but he was careless. If Brown is going after the footy and then realises he’s going to cop it and attempts to protect himself by bracing he’s 100% in the clear

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Not even comparable? Douglas elected to bump without making any attempt on the ball - it wasn’t dirty but he was careless. If Brown is going after the footy and then realises he’s going to cop it and attempts to protect himself by bracing he’s 100% in the clear

That's your opinion. I think Douglas sole intention was the ball until the last moment where he braced for contact. Same thing Jetta did.

That's your opinion. I think Douglas sole intention was the ball until the last moment where he braced for contact. Same thing Jetta did.
My opinion and that of the commentators and the MRP. Jetta at least is guarding the ball by running parallel to it, there’s clear defensive intent and Brown is standing in a position which makes it impossible for him to get to the ball without running through him. Anyway, no point in arguing a difference of perception

BigSexc

BigFooty Protagonist
Oct 7, 2009
BigFooty
AFL Club
Melbourne
upload_2018-5-30_14-22-39.png

I'll leave this here again.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Would prefer if you didn't dwell on when I said Maxy might not make it though...

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    60 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.png
    2.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 86

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Yep normally he defends really well and uses it well. Today he intercepted with marks as good as ever and won a lot of footy.

Back