#39 Neville Jetta - Retired. Thank you Nev 🖤💛❤️

Remove this Banner Ad

How this guy isn’t All Australian is beyond me, his finals series has been immense.

Everyone holds AA up as proof of how great a player is but in reality it's just 7 blokes opinion. If those blokes have favourites then they get captains calls.

If you got the main board together and you took everyone's AA teams you would have alot of different opinions. AA is just a product of the 7 blokes in charge at the time.

Selwood for instance was named AA last year and he didn't even come close to deserving it. Jetta is popular but we don't play enough marquee games. If we play more Friday night games next year then we will get more players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awarded a Life Membership at the AGM tonight
giphy.gif

A fit Jetta in 2020 is so important for us.

He was talismanic in 2018 - watching him win 1v1s deep in defensive 50 against opponents he had no right to lifted the team so much.

In that final against Geelong when Scott threw Dangerfield forward (real imaginative Chris) Jetta beat him again and again and again. I looked up an article from the match to see if my memory was correct:

“He’s playing on Patrick Dangerfield when he goes forward — everyone’s said ‘get out of the road, who’s going to play on Patrick Dangerfield?’
“We asked Jake Lever … and he just said ‘Neville Jetta’, he didn’t second-guess, he just said ‘we’ll put Neville Jetta on him.’

“(Jetta) beat him four times one-out. Four times against one of the great modern-day players."

Then, next week against Hawthorn Jetta irons out Tom Mitchell with a perfect bump early in the game, pretty much making Mitchell redundant for the rest of the match with a bung shoulder.

His physicality and defensive ability wasn't on show in 2019 due to injury - and those 2 traits are exactly what we missed throughout the year

Praise be, Lord Nev

EDIT: Just realised there's video footage of both of these moments above^^ how good

I love Nev. But fathertime is approaching him fast. He's slowing down and injuries are starting to take a toll. I really hope he can get back to his best, but i have a horrible feeling we've seen the best of him and Hibberd. Both will be 30 going into this next season and both are coming off poor season's riddled with injury. We need a couple more years out of both, so hopefully they can stay injury free and be important for us as we don't have a lot of options in their roles.

Saw Nev up close yesterday. Absolutely ripped. Looks really fit. Expecting a big year.
I love Lord Nev, but it's hard to get quicker. He's slowing down. I hope we can still get a couple more good years out of him and he stays injury free. It's a worry that Jetta and Hibberd , both pillars of the backline are slowing down at a rapid rate at the same time. Both will go into the season as 30 year olds. Great to hear they are both in ripping condition. Fingers crossed for both to have a big year as our backline on paper looks great if injury free.

I love Lord Nev, but it's hard to get quicker. He's slowing down. I hope we can still get a couple more good years out of him and he stays injury free. It's a worry that Jetta and Hibberd , both pillars of the backline are slowing down at a rapid rate at the same time. Both will go into the season as 30 year olds. Great to hear they are both in ripping condition. Fingers crossed for both to have a big year as our backline on paper looks great if injury free.
Hopefully we can get at least a couple more years out of them. Then the likes of Rivers and Lockhart can come through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back