#39 Neville Jetta - Retired. Thank you Nev 🖤💛❤️

Remove this Banner Ad

That last five minutes was immense, stopped 3 certain goals. If he isn't AA it's a joke, if you were building a back six in a best-of side today to actually play a game he'd be just about first picked.
I've noticed he's been getting a lot more credit from the media just this past week. Of course, they're all making out like they've been his biggest fan since 2015... but it is nice to see him getting recognition

Just saw this on FB. Jetta's stats last year VS Rampe's AA stats last year
Interesting Jetta has only just been considered for All Australian now, how about his stats from last season in comparison to All Australian Dane Rampe. He has been doing it for years.
19983841_1600475020004727_2375975422482386891_o.jpg

better comparison would be Nick Smith in his AA year (2014) with lockdown defender stats like goals against, 1-on-1 win %, 1 percenters
Screenshot_20170713-115642.png

Who's who?

Did not put a foot wrong yesterday!
Was at the game and made a point of watching him closely.
Covers the ground well and holds his ground until he makes the decision to run off his man, when he does he's all in and he makes sure he gets there.
Kicks within himself but rarely misses. Switches play as well as anyone in our side and has a real toughness about him where he most definitely was a bit of a squib early in his career.
I think he's actually a shoe in for AA if he can play the last 2 games to the level he's shown most of the year.
Real credit to Roosy for recognising this kid has something, making him earn his spot back on the list and turning him into THE best small defender in the game

Love Nev. Absolute gun and a lock for AA, surely.

One thing though is I reckon he's just starting to look a bit slow when matched up on the really zippy small forwards. He's 27 now and still got hopefully at least five good years left, but we do need to recruit/develop his replacement when he does pull the pin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually didn't pay much attention to him yesterday, i barely noticed him but the same with his opponent. So has to be a good game then

Love Nev. Absolute gun and a lock for AA, surely.

One thing though is I reckon he's just starting to look a bit slow when matched up on the really zippy small forwards. He's 27 now and still got hopefully at least five good years left, but we do need to recruit/develop his replacement when he does pull the pin.

Never thought his average pace is an issue, he hits top speed basically straight away and is as agile as any player in the league. Corey Enright is a legendary small defender and he was never quick.

Never thought his average pace is an issue, he hits top speed basically straight away and is as agile as any player in the league. Corey Enright is a legendary small defender and he was never quick.

Yeah I completely agree with you - but Sunday was the first time I think his relative lack of pace was noticeable at times. His agility, smarts and hardness more than make up for that.

We still need to groom a replacement though for a few years down the track.

Yeah I completely agree with you - but Sunday was the first time I think his relative lack of pace was noticeable at times. His agility, smarts and hardness more than make up for that.

We still need to groom a replacement though for a few years down the track.

Hard to groome a replacement. There's like 3 lock down smalls left in the league the rest are marking or kicking HBF

Not sure I can remember such a consistently solid player at the club for a long time. Could say him and Jones have been, but this guy rarely gets beaten, goes about it with zero fuss or fanfare, and is hardly mentioned in best players. Probably because his job is mostly lock down, but his kicking is usually always spot on, and his decision making sound. His ability to contest even with the big forwards is incredibly impressive. He's arguably the first picked in the side every week now. Gun..

Not sure I can remember such a consistently solid player at the club for a long time. Could say him and Jones have been, but this guy rarely gets beaten, goes about it with zero fuss or fanfare, and is hardly mentioned in best players. Probably because his job is mostly lock down, but his kicking is usually always spot on, and his decision making sound. His ability to contest even with the big forwards is incredibly impressive. He's arguably the first picked in the side every week now. Gun..

Also easy to forget he was delisted at the end of 13.

Hard to groome a replacement. There's like 3 lock down smalls left in the league the rest are marking or kicking HBF

Agreed - I do think we need to look for a small in the draft this year though.

Kennedy is gone and Johnstone is unproven. After them, we don't have anyone fitting the mold of a small defender or small forward to take the role from Jetta or Garlett in the future?

Agreed - I do think we need to look for a small in the draft this year though.

Kennedy is gone and Johnstone is unproven. After them, we don't have anyone fitting the mold of a small defender or small forward to take the role from Jetta or Garlett in the future?

Small forwards seem to be the buzz at the moment. Tigers found about 5 in a year so I'm not so worried. Also think the game has moved away from a Jetta type player it's just he's so Damn good. I'm sure there's been some great BPs in our premiership teams but hes as good a back pocket as we have ever had. I loved wrecker as a player but he had nothing on Jettas aerial ability

Remove this Banner Ad

Back