Retired #39 Paddy McCartin - Thank you Paddy - Always a Blood!

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Club has always valued the 'rags to riches' and the blue collar players. Paul Bevan, Kirk, Luffy, LRT, Reg were all genuinely loved players.

Partly because of Tommy I had taken an extra interest in Paddy's battles and heard him interviewed a few times.

Last year when Paddy signed up to the 2s I had some real hopes. My hopes were he would get a few games, get some kicks and get through safely. Playing at CHB his footy IQ, marking ability and disposal skills were immediately obvious.. I recall an absolute bullet pass that went 35-40m. It was perfect.

He had the striking setback which seemed out of character and had come out of the blue. Turned out his insulin sugar levels were out of whack. Turns out the management of his Diabetes on game day, training etc is a science. Getting it right will be an ongoing challenge.

There were a few of us die hard ressies' watchers who had seen enough. Jewelsbon I know was as keen as I that the Club should give him a go. I was delighted we gave him a crack and was selected in Round 1.

This week I read somewhere he leads the comp for intercept marks! He has taken to defence like a duck to water and formed strong playing bonds not just with Tommy but his comrades down back. We are seeing more of those bullet passes that IMO put him only behind Blakey and Campbell when he plays down back.

It is clear the Club is delighted, especially Horse and I trust Paddy will be rewarded with a decent contract at year end.

Update Horse has just talked about him on SEN.

yes, indeed! a great story for the club but an even better one for mccartin

If we achieve nothing this season, bringing paddy in and helping him return to footy will be a definite highlight for the season.

It was always a no brainer for me, bringing in a talented former number 1 pick with little risk (to the club of course). He really has exceeded expectations with how well he's slotted into our defence and has become our most important defensive player (and that's something given Tom's back there as well). It's a testament to how talented paddy is that he's transitioned to defence so seamlessly.

In saying that, the only thing that would make this story even more amazing, is for paddy to go from footy obscurity to holding the premiership in his first year back. Dare to dream.

Last edited:

guy is a gun, Imagine what he would have been without the setbacks
Would they have continued to play him forward do you think? Just so settled and confident down back at the moment is difficult to imagine him playing forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He marks the ball before he's even marked the ball. The way he sets himself as soon as the ball leaves the boot you can just tell it has his name on it. Fills me with so much reassurance.

Brereton was talking this am about Paddy's marking skills. He reckons Paddy reads the flight of the ball ahead of others. Makes sense. He is also one of those fellas who reads the game (footy IQ etc) beautifully.

Interesting that Angus Brayshaw is third on that list. Bit of a surprise.

Brayshaw is an incredible football and is utilised both on rebound and interceptions for Melbourne.

With their injuries in defence this year I don't think it's shocking he is high up on the list.

Rowell, Ugle-Hagen, Horne-Francis, Rayner, McGrath, Boyd.

Who’d have thunk it - Paddy Mac has actually turned out one of the best no.1 draft picks of the last decade!*

* Weitering and Walsh excluded.

Rowell could be anything but his body is made of glass currently.

Ugle-Hagen needs to be treated the same as McDonald, his going to take time but has a tonne of potential.

Horne-Francis has the tools to be the best player in the league, just needs to escape Norf.

Rayners development was coming along fine until the ACL, his shown plenty of signs in the previous few weeks.

McGrath - Agreed, would rather Paddy moving forward (he needs to be played in the midfield).

Boyd - Justified his talent and potential on one day of football (don't like saying that). His actually a loss to the game.

I wouldn't rule out Rowell, Ugle-Hagen, JFH or Rayner yet, honestly think each of them will be A-Grade stars (Rayner from as early as next year).

(Not complaining we have Paddy though, his been absolutely exceptional and should be in AA contention for years to come).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back