Delisted #39: Pat Voss - Stiff Armed by Essendon on Oct 25. Refer to #556

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
39 - voss.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2023 (Category A Rookie)
My Boy Draft 2023: Pick 18, Bipolarbear

Last edited by a moderator:

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
B4418878-13A8-490B-AF35-D98B34059387.jpeg

SNAPSHOT: “One of the most physical prospects in the draft pool, Voss has proven himself as a marking threat at both ends of the ground."
Greater Western Sydney (GWS) Academy member Patrick Voss has impressed onlookers in his school and NAB league performances throughout 2021, making a name for himself with his physicality and ferocious approach to the contest. A tall talent capable of playing in all areas of the ground, Voss has found ways to bring his best traits in a variety of roles, none more so than his strength, making a habit of fending off opponents and laying heavy tackles.

STRENGTHS:
Contested marking
Strength/physicality
Tackling
Versatility
Reading the play

IMPROVEMENTS:
Kicking
Agility

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Like this pick. Just don't dick around, get him into the middle and start to build the next generation of mids. Voss and Hobbs can be the bash brothers.

I don't look at him as being any more speculative or uncertain a prospect than Lord is. If players are recruited to fill a need, and they have the attributes, it doesn't matter whether they are rookies as they will usually get the time they need.

It's when you can't clearly find a role or the player does have the attributes that the pick isn't going anywhere.

I think this makes a solid set of picks good. Give me Rantall now as an SPP. That would be a really appealing set of mids to put a few years into.

Last edited:

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
I'm interested in what Kicking means in the context of "Improvements". Does he have an ok kick as long as he plays within his means, does he shank it more often than not, does he kick loopy kicks that hit the spot but give too much air time allowing the opposition a look in?

Either way, he's now a Don so I wish him a long and successful career.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm interested in what Kicking means in the context of "Improvements". Does he have an ok kick as long as he plays within his means, does he shank it more often than not, does he kick loopy kicks that hit the spot but give too much air time allowing the opposition a look in?

Either way, he's now a Don so I wish him a long and successful career.

I think he's got a cannon which he uses indiscriminately.

Thought we'd picked up 2 brothers when I saw 2 new players threads for both a Patrick Voss and Pat Voss. Either that or I was having a matrix black cat moment.

Best of luck Pat... or Patrick.

Shame about the kicking but if he can become adept enough at shoveling the ball out of congestion and suplexing campaigners then he might have a decent AFL career (between suspensions)

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I have always considered that, despite the diatribe by fans at the end of his career, we never truly replaced David Myers in the midfield.

I mean in the sense of a player with a big frame that was willing and able to just crash bodies, carve out space for other mids at stoppages and destroy opponents in a tackle. We needed someone who could do the dirty, grunt oriented aspects that all good midfields have.
He didn't have huge personal numbers, but statistically our midfield in general fared better when he was in our stoppage mix.

I have no idea if this kid is that, but he is big, strong, aggressive and loves the physical aspect of the game, including tackling. Kicking skills be damned, he is halfway to what we need already.

Back