Remove this Banner Ad

2021 1st Round - Hobbs
2020 1st Round - Cox, Perkins, Reid
2019 1st Round - Traded for Shiel
2018 1st Round - Traded for Shiel
2017 1st Round - Traded for Smith & (part of) Stringer
2016 1st Round - McGrath
2015 1st Round - Parish & Francis
I would argue Perkins was a forward in his age group whilst McGrath was an AA U18 half back.

If ANY doubt then we shouldn't add them to the discussion

I would argue Perkins was a forward in his age group whilst McGrath was an AA U18 half back.

Perkins was a forward in his under age year. He trained with the midfield in his top age year but they did not play any games so he did not get the chance. I prefer Archie as a half forward / wing but he was going to play midfield if covid did not halt things. McGath did play some midfield in the back end of his under 18 season despite being the AA half back.

Put on Rawl's veil and watch the game against Casey and then come here and seriously post that this guy should be treated as 'just a rookie'.
Well he is. He may be in the 20% that make it but he is a rookie. GWS could have easily kept him but they did not. I do think he will make it but I am not pegging him as midfield based on the information I have been able to find out on him. I think he is a bit more of a Jake Stringer / Cam Zerhaar type crash and bash forward who can mark. Maybe not all the tricks Jake has but a bit better mark.

Well he is. He may be in the 20% that make it but he is a rookie. GWS could have easily kept him but they did not. I do think he will make it but I am not pegging him as midfield based on the information I have been able to find out on him. I think he is a bit more of a Jake Stringer / Cam Zerhaar type crash and bash forward who can mark. Maybe not all the tricks Jake has but a bit better mark.

The only thing for me to add is that he can do one thing Stringer and Zurhaar can't, and that's run.

I like it when Bruno and Ant are in the same room together. It's fiery discussion but excellent viewing (reading)
We are getting soft in our old age. We actually agree 20% of the time now :p
jack-lemmon-what.gif

Perkins was the only real midfield prospect available at his selection other than Bruhn (who'd had LTIs from memory) unless we wanted to really reach.

McGrath had also demonstrated he could play on-ball as well, but as I said, that selection is arguable because there were other players who had greater midfield pedigree (McCluggage more specifically) rated at around that selection.

That said, McGrath hasn't exactly disgraced himself in the midfield when played there, and it's 'just' a half-back much as people like to pretend he can only be one thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's Reid, Jones, Voss and Cox in the last 12 months (of differing severity)

Either we are desperately unlucky or we have a problem that needs to be looked at in terms of our development/training of young talls.
I’d say the latter. 1 or 2 probably unlucky. 4 there’s definitely something wrong with the program.

That's Reid, Jones, Voss and Cox in the last 12 months (of differing severity)

Either we are desperately unlucky or we have a problem that needs to be looked at in terms of our development/training of young talls.

They're all >190cm developing young guys.

After years of not pushing players hard enough, maybe now they're pushing these young blokes too hard to gain weight and the taller ones who are still settling in to their bodies are breaking down?

They're all >190cm developing young guys.

After years of not pushing players hard enough, maybe now they're pushing these young blokes too hard to gain weight and the taller ones who are still settling in to their bodies are breaking down?
Have no idea, not at all literate in the sports science space. But it seems to be a trend at least.

"Moderate" for those playing at home. Moonboot and re-assess.
Young key forward Patrick Voss will enter a rehab program after sustaining a foot stress injury in Essendon VFL’s loss to Frankston.

Murphy said Voss, who impressed with three goals in the loss to the Dolphin, would be conservatively managed as a first-year player.

“Voss has suffered a moderate foot stress injury,” Murphy said.

“We’ll be conservative with him being a first-year player. He’ll go into a moon boot to offload for the next couple of weeks and then we’ll reassess from there.”

"Moderate" for those playing at home. Moonboot and re-assess.

That's a shame, but tbh wasn't expecting we'd see him this year. Sounds like a raw project as it is. Disappointing for him that his prep is interrupted though. Sounded like he'd bring a bit of old school Sheedy era mongrel to the side.

Patrick Voss​

Key stats: Three goals, 11 disposals, five marks, four tackles

"'Vossy' is a real competitor. There were times where the team looked a bit flat. He's a bit of an indicator for how we're going, so halfway through the third quarter, we sent out the message for him to fire us up and get some excitement in the game. He kicked the next two and set up another goal, so it was really pleasing that he reacted to the message. What I like about him is that he's a team player, and if he keeps competing the way he does, he'll keep giving himself every chance (to play at AFL level)."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back