Delisted #39: Pat Voss - Stiff Armed by Essendon on Oct 25. Refer to #556

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
39 - voss.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2023 (Category A Rookie)
My Boy Draft 2023: Pick 18, Bipolarbear

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
You should really draft someone likeevery year and see what kind of player they can turn into.

Bit of pick your own adventure given the tools he looks to have, potential to be a slightly undersized but strong, physical key position player like Darling or Mihocek or a Greenwood or Cripps in the middle.
Or play on those types like a Laverde has

I think theyve picked him with main plan to be a midfielder but knowing full well he can play anywhere and needs to train in all different spots to find his best place

Or play on those types like a Laverde has

I think theyve picked him with main plan to be a midfielder but knowing full well he can play anywhere and needs to train in all different spots to find his best place

I don’t see how he could feasibly get gametime as an actual key defender given the sheer amount of other tall backs we currently have on our list so I’m ruling that out for the moment.

He’s taller than Baldwin, he could in theory play full forward next year.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
As a utility, he sounds like an insurance player. Superboot role could be anything from hoik it 60m forward and lock it in the forwardline until we goal. Wing/high half forward to intercept mark helping to lock the ball in the forward half. Link up mark to transition out of defence.

The more I read the more he sounds like Cox insurance. 60m kick sounds like enough time to get forward, provide the extra tall number and mark his own kick.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Daily Advertiser (Wagga) said:
"Wherever they (Essendon) put me I'll play. My favourite (position) is probably forward, but my best footy is probably as a midfielder.

"I don't know what the plans are but whatever it is I'll have a crack at."

Nice write-up on the new lad.

193cm is the latest raffle number for his height too.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I don’t see how he could feasibly get gametime as an actual key defender given the sheer amount of other tall backs we currently have on our list so I’m ruling that out for the moment.

He’s taller than Baldwin, he could in theory play full forward next year.
More so in the VFL as the 4th tallest defender whos very versatile (Only need an injury)

This might be the first time I've heard Jack Darling described as physical

Darling is 4th amongst active players for contested marks, given he cannot jump and isn’t particularly quick, I would say using his body has played quite a large part in that.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Darling is 4th amongst active players for contested marks, given he cannot jump and isn’t particularly quick, I would say using his body has played quite a large part in that.
He also tends to be a lot shorter than his opponents.

He's a very strong player.

I've always thought of him more as a leading type than the 'physical' type.

Physical to me is more a player like Hawkins who'll stand under a high ball and wrestle, or a Zurhaar who just smashes through opposition all day long.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I've always thought of him more as a leading type than the 'physical' type.

Physical to me is more a player like Hawkins who'll stand under a high ball and wrestle, or a Zurhaar who just smashes through opposition all day long.

We're probably cross purposes a little bit.

Darling is not a pack splitter insofar as such a player still plays AFL, not by any stretch. He's not stand and deliver in the way Hooker was either, that's not really possible at 191cm on reach alone.

You're right in the sense that power on the lead and his craft is probably what makes him most dangerous but I've often found him almost Lloyd-like in the way he can work over an opponent 1v1, or even a pack, to win a ball against taller guys. He probably wins more than his fair share of wrestles.

He's also got a set of shoulders on him and a chest that would match anyone pound for pound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
We're probably cross purposes a little bit.

Darling is not a pack splitter insofar as such a player still plays AFL, not by any stretch. He's not stand and deliver in the way Hooker was either, that's not really possible at 191cm on reach alone.

You're right in the sense that power on the lead and his craft is probably what makes him most dangerous but I've often found him almost Lloyd-like in the way he can work over an opponent 1v1, or even a pack, to win a ball against taller guys. He probably wins more than his fair share of wrestles.

He's also got a set of shoulders on him and a chest that would match anyone pound for pound.

That's where I suppose I'd call it strength vs physicality. Ambrose was a bit of both, had the strength and happy to use it. Wright would be stronger than people give him credit for, but is about as physical as a wet leaf most of the time.

Just a difference in wording, I think ultimately we're on the same page.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I am getting unreasonably excited and expectant about an 18yo kid taken at pick 11 in the rookie draft less than 3 days ago....

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
One of my best memories of NLM is him wrestling both Carr brothers at the same time then dropping one of them (Matthew I think) with a short right hook.

It's got nothing to do with Voss but gee that was beautiful to watch

Yep, this is an underrated highlight in some low years for the dons.

Was wrestling both at the same time. The ended up clocking one of them (Can't remember which, does it matter?) to the face.

Commentators, who always like to talk down the potential suspension of any player, watched the replay and were like "Ah, yeah - he's in trouble there"

And everyone was okay with it. Including the Carr's parents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back