Retired #39: Ross McQuillan - Calls time on his AFL career - 3/1

Remove this Banner Ad

Was really happy when I saw this article in the efc website, have since found out he’s a ranga and I’m now concerned about wasting a list spot

Speaks a bit slower than McKenna haha.

Video: https://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2019-11-06/btv-introducing-ross-mcquillan

Quotes:

“It’s a professional sport … we don’t get that back home; it’s amateur.

“To come to a facility like this at The Hangar, it’s unbelievable. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, you’ve got to try to grab it with both hands.”

“It is hard to leave home whatever you’re doing. Your family and friends are there, football too - they’re all a big part of your life, so it is quite difficult to leave.

“Especially (playing for) your county and your club, which you feel so passionate playing with, it’s always difficult to leave that kind of stuff behind, but hopefully it’s a new adventure here.

“I’ve seen a wee bit of (McKenna) obviously seeing the solo dummy. He’s actually from close enough to where I’m from, so a couple of older people like my friends would have known him and maybe talked about him.”

“All of the lads were joking upstairs about having a little Irish crew running about now.

“It’s brilliant to have somebody from home out with you to experience something that you’ll also be going through.”

“The different shape of the ball is a big challenge, because we use a round ball and you use other parts of your foot,”

“Here it’s very difficult to get the drop right, but it’s fun.

“My speed would have been something I was scouted for, my aggression through the tackling end of it and hopefully my kicking, because it’s something we’re used to back home.

“Hopefully I can get used to that and maybe make it a big part of my game.”

“It’s just brilliant to be out and hopefully get started soon and hit the ground running,”

Article: https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-11-06/mcquillan-to-hit-the-ground-running

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like to think we can develop one of these Irish guys (McKenna included) into a midfielder, even a forward. Would be tough to have 3 x Irish guys all in our back 6 in 3 years time. Would be fun to watch but doubt it is feasable
Yeah, McKenna the most obvious one to move forward.

Have heard that this kid is surprising the club with how quickly he is developing. Not saying, debut, best 22, gun soon but he is picking the game up and all it's nuances well. I like what I've heard and hope we can keep our Irish contingent going.

Trialed on the wing in the scratch match.

"Ross played on the wing for the first time. He's pretty much played the whole year down back. He showed he was smart enough to do it, attacking well when we had the chance and getting back to defence to help out. He showed there were possibilities for us to play him on the wing as well."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back