Retired #39: Ross McQuillan - Calls time on his AFL career - 3/1

Remove this Banner Ad

Does it really matter that we're 12 months away from having this style of player? We're not contending next year and maybe it will force us to come up with other ideas for getting the ball out of the defence instead of just pass it to Saad.

Like I said, don't care what game plan we're playing, there will always be a time to feed the ball to a lightening quick half back to run it out of defence and the only good small defenders are quick.

Anytime we loose a potential piece of the puzzle from the list without an option to cover it's a bad thing.

No guarantees when we'll next be able to get our hands on this player and I'd prefer him to be developing on our list in 2021.

Like I said, don't care what game plan we're playing, there will always be a time to feed the ball to a lightening quick half back to run it out of defence and the only good small defenders are quick.

Anytime we loose a potential piece of the puzzle from the list without an option to cover it's a bad thing.

No guarantees when we'll next be able to get our hands on this player and I'd prefer him to be developing on our list in 2021.

The bloke has never played an AFL game. So he's a good athlete, that's about all.

I wouldn't be too stressed about it, the free list spot is probably more useful.

The bloke has never played an AFL game. So he's a good athlete, that's about all.

I wouldn't be too stressed about it, the free list spot is probably more useful.

All indications are that he was tracking well.

It was a longshot but that is what we were left with.

Plenty on the inside where saying he was good enough. He was not just a good athlete. Good skills and game sense and very switched on as far as game plan goes. He may not have made it but there where a few involved with him who where saying he would. He never got a chance to play anything meaningful.
90% said McKenna would be no good as well.

This is a good year to have extra space for the SSP or MSD given the number of undrafted players that might be of quite decent quality.

Or may not as well. We are talking about players rated at plus 60 in the draft. Sure the lack of exposed form leaves questions but to be saying there are a number of undrafted players of decent quality is a stretch. To say simply because they have not played there will be numbers of players not picked in the top 55 that can make it is questionable. There will obviously be some but this year will not be any different to previous years.
On top of that McQuillan had the advantage of being inside the system this year even if he did only play 6 or 7 scratch matches.

Plenty on the inside where saying he was good enough. He was not just a good athlete. Good skills and game sense and very switched on as far as game plan goes. He may not have made it but there where a few involved with him who where saying he would. He never got a chance to play anything meaningful.
90% said McKenna would be no good as well.

I wasn't saying that he wasn't any good, just that we only know he was a good athlete. Had never seen him play an AFL game. So it's a little dramatic to suggest it's a major blow is all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't saying that he wasn't any good, just that we only know he was a good athlete. Had never seen him play an AFL game. So it's a little dramatic to suggest it's a major blow is all.
Never said it was a major blow. Was simply adding some info I had from inside the club.

“I was living the dream but come Saturday whenever we were ready to play the game, it just wasn’t the same for me.”

Even though he later said in the article that he doesn’t believe having a normal season would’ve changed his mind... I can’t help but think that having a normal season would’ve changed his mind.

“I was living the dream but come Saturday whenever we were ready to play the game, it just wasn’t the same for me.”

Even though he later said in the article that he doesn’t believe having a normal season would’ve changed his mind... I can’t help but think that having a normal season would’ve changed his mind.
Yeah but longer quarters mate. I can kind of see his point. It's drawn out as it is.

Especially when you're getting thumped.

Ross leaving has been massive for his big footy profile

I can’t help but think if he had merely threatened to leave and then waited around to see our reaction he would still be here

My original comment was in response to Bruno though, who was making it a big loss.

And as I said I was just replying to your response saying all we know is he was athletic. I was simply giving some more info. Anyway despite him never playing a game he is a minor loss as we lose a player who had the skill set to fill a role we have lost two players from. Sure he had to actually make it but he had spent a year in the system and their was an internal level of confidence he could play. I doubt there is anyone left in this years draft pool that had his pace and skill level. We are going from having a possible replacement for McKenna to back to square one and spending a year working on the next guy or a couple of years finding him. He was a unique prospect. It is too bad he was not really into the game.
He will be replaced no problem but it is a small loss.

He will be replaced no problem but it is a small loss.

I don't disagree at all, it's good to hear more insight about where the player was at, but this pretty much sums up what I meant.

I was simply giving some more info.

NB. I do appreciate the insight you give by the way

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back