Retired #39: Ross McQuillan - Calls time on his AFL career - 3/1

Remove this Banner Ad

20m split times of 2.77 sec is stupidly fast.

Will need to bulk up, but Im keen to see what comes of him, although at 20 he is 2 years older then Connor if im not mistaken. Plenty to work with though

Sounds exciting and we are in the unique position of having an Irish player who is firmly in our best 22 and in my opinion is the best Irishman in the league. Hopefully we can leverage that to lure some other talented rookie types.

Not unless we've still got some of El Danko's special sauce sitting around somewhere
Fairly sure Gleeson went from 185-ish to 190 in one pre-season?

Welcome Ross! Hope you do well in the VFL next year.

Any clips?
krkUr7H.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you confirm there is truth in the whispers that he is better then Dangerfield?
I can confirm he is from Northern Ireland.

Massive coup to sign these guys.

You get this weird blank canvas.

Has every physical attribute required to excel. Played a game with a stack of transferrable skills and game sense but you still get to mould the player you want because it's a new game.

Probably takes 12 months to get a AFL plaayer. We started McKenna forward, which showed definite potential, and then switched him to defence either late in 2015 or in 2016.

Has every physical attribute required to excel. Played a game with a stack of transferrable skills and game sense but you still get to mould the player you want because it's a new game.

Probably takes 12 months to get a AFL plaayer. We started McKenna forward, which showed definite potential, and then switched him to defence either late in 2015 or in 2016.

I think people have to remember that McKenna took a while to get the level he is at. This guy seems a better prospect than him, however.

Homesickness and being able to handle the extra physicality of aussie rules, given the different tackling rules, are the only genuine barriers for the top prospects from Ireland IMO. Talent is no issue.

Whilst I haven't seen him play I always think that when you get great athletes that haven't played a lot of AFL they are nearly always better suited to defense. His attributes practically spell out half back flanker. Not really true for the ruck sized blokes but for everyone else it holds true far more often than not. Playing forward takes footy smarts compared to playing backline which takes more discipline and athletic advantages can make up for inexperience or lack of smarts.

So I'd develop him in the backline to start with and when and if he makes an impact then you could consider slowly giving him a go in other roles.

I know McKenna did play mostly in the forward line in VFL level to start with and he was genuinely good there but it wasn't until he was settled down as a backline player at AFL level and had a season or 2 at that level that he really showed that he was worth it from an AFL perspective. Maybe next year we might get a bit more experimental with McKenna but we can't forget the rather lengthy development period as a backman even if he does turn out to be a good forward/winger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back