Traded 39. Shane Kersten (2012-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2011 National Draft selection No. 34 - Shane Kersten

Mix Pavlich and Bradshaw and what do you get?

Funny, I thought he moved a bit like Pav also. (fingers crossed) I can see this guy being our full forward in the years to come. Was the best marker of the footy in the draft and has added bonus that he is a great kick at goal!!! Cant believe we got him with pick 34!

Hamling and Kersten are best mates? Well played, Mr Wells. No danger of either wanting to go back home then.

I still think he'll need time, but he's a great long term replacement for when Pods hangs them up in 3 or 4 years. Great get. :thumbsu:

Probably not next year. But who knows. Reckon he could be special though.

Agree on both the former and the latter. Really rate him.

O.k. I am prepared to go out on a limb and suggest that this kid will debut in 2012.

And I will not whinge if someone bumps this thread at the end of the season.

I just hope that it is me that gets to bump it.:)

Kersten is a good get for you guys.

Last year he played 4 or 5 league games for South after playing State 18's, and he didn't look out of place in the league side.

Last year he was more the traditional full forward, he is very quick on the lead and more importanatly knows where and when to lead. He is good overhead, but it his beautiful long kicking which is a feature of his play.

This year he started in the reserves before hyper extending his elbow which put him out of action for about 3 months.

He came back and played CHF for the colts for the last 7 or so games of the year and ended up kicking around 30 goals including 5 in the GF. Playing CHF was good for him and gave him an opportunity to showcase his talents a little more.

I have said all year that IMO he has more upside than Darling and if he stays injury free during his career he will kick over 400 goals, hopefully in the AFL (and not WAFL or SANFL).

I look forward to watching his career unfold and hope to see many of his 60 metre kicks sailing through the big sticks (just not against us;)).

A bargain at 34:thumbsu:

O.k. I am prepared to go out on a limb and suggest that this kid will debut in 2012.

And I will not whinge if someone bumps this thread at the end of the season.

I just hope that it is me that gets to bump it.:)

Think you're on a pretty good thing there Rabbi. The coach seems to be thinking along the same lines. Great minds and all that.;)

“Kersten is very much a key forward, 191cm, looks to us like he’s a bit more developed,” Scott said.

“Personally, I can see him playing some really good VFL for us early in the season and pushing for selection if we get some injuries to our key forwards.”
Source: Sports News First

My favorite of all our draftee's this year. I think you might be right Rabbi - I reckon he'll play AFL footy in 2012. The kid just looks like he has something, certainly the body is there, but just seems to have the right mix of speed + power + finesse + brains :thumbsu:

Played juniors with Shane, Was also the year above him in high school good kid, head screwed on, will serve geelong well. Very capable of kicking big bags.

What i like is that he has actually played senior football -i think that is a massive advantage -i see the left footer from Glenelg has also played seniors .
These blokes if they have the ability are ready to go

The best example of that is when Harry Taylor was drafted in 2008 -our 1st pick was pick 17 or 18 and Richmonds 2nd pick was straight after us . There was a massive rap on Rance (also a big defender) -so Wells could have easily picked him -but no he went for Taylor in some what of a surprise -the key difference was Taylor had played a couple of years senior football -Taylor hasnt missed a beat from the word go -Rance was raw and is finally looking like he might make it -but no way in the world would i swap Taylor for Rance.

Wells has redressed the oversight of the Jack Darling selection of 2010 with a great pick34 in Shane Kersten.
Also the arrival of Jordan Bourke next season and with the development of Mitch Brown this season, the forwards look pretty potent for the future.
Out of supposed poor draft, think we did alright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else think he looks like a young Matt Pavlich?

love this pick the most...

Ok you guys who follow the draft pretty closely - Who will play first in the Senior side - Kersten or Smedts ?

Who do you reckon will end up being the better footballer ?

I know nothing about these guys except what I read - and they seem to have the biggest rapts of the last 2 drafts.

I am just hoping one of them will be AFL ready by the end of the season - and this will allow us to continue to add just a little more youth to side in 2012. Big bonus if one of them does make it, especially next season (or less so the one after).

Firstly, should be and will be Smedts, IMO.
Really have no idea on the second, only heard it said Billy was the best schoolboy footballer ever by a respected identity, massive wrap!
But I really think Wells hit jackpot this time with Pavsten.

Ok you guys who follow the draft pretty closely - Who will play first in the Senior side - Kersten or Smedts ?

Assuming both are fit throughout pre-season and during the season, then Smedts I'd say.

Coaches will prefer to try the guy in the seniors who has been there the extra year.

Also Smedts.

Does anyone else think he looks like a young Matt Pavlich?

I reckon he looks more like this bloke

980009.jpg

I know nothing about these guys except what I read - and they seem to have the biggest rapts of the last 2 drafts.

I am just hoping one of them will be AFL ready by the end of the season - and this will allow us to continue to add just a little more youth to side in 2012. Big bonus if one of them does make it, especially next season (or less so the one after).

Smedts:thumbsu:

wait till you see this boy play...he'll be a future superstar for us, no doubt. Athletic natural footballer with great hands and blistering speed.
Can't wait till he plays, gonna be fun to watch him take on the big boys and show them a few new tricks;)

Kersten will play before Billy Smedts. Billy needs to do some work in the gym. He still has a skinny kids body. I know that he has good evasion skills but he will get wrapped up by AFL players who tackle him. It will be a while before he can stand up in a tackle like Kelly or Bartel and dish the ball off to a team mate.

Kersten has a ready to go physique, and Emma agrees with me. So there!:D
Shane Kersten loomed as a potential first rounder, and has a body that will allow him to play some footy early on should he knuckle down. Again, he's going to just the right club.

Coaches will prefer to try the guy in the seniors who has been there the extra year.

I think Scott will pick on form.

Guthrie started in the side last year ahead of Christensen for example.

If they are playing well I could see any of this years draftees except for Hamlin getting a run at some stage.

With Moons gone and Vardy/Brown with injury hanging over them then Kersten could end up 1st drop key forward pretty quickly.

I think Scott will pick on form.

Guthrie started in the side last year ahead of Christensen for example.

If they are playing well I could see any of this years draftees except for Hamlin getting a run at some stage.

With Moons gone and Vardy/Brown with injury hanging over them then Kersten could end up 1st drop key forward pretty quickly.

I think Guthrie will be desparate this year to make it since Christiansen went on to play in the Premiership team and Guthrie got zipp.
Must have burned in his mind a bit.

Kersten might play along with Smedts if they start well in the 2's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back