Review 39 - Tim Mohr (2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tim Mohr

Games: 0
Goals: 0
Yabby Medal votes: 0

Summary

Hawthorn took Mohr in the 2019 rookie draft after he was let go by the GWS Giants, with Hawthorn seeing the experienced defender as cheap depth to support Frawley and Brand. However, Mohr suffered a gruesome injury during pre-season that cost him the entirety of the season and Mohr announced his retirement from AFL at the end of the 2019 season.

Former Hawthorn and Greater Western Sydney defender Tim Mohr will launch an unprecedented bid for compensation after leaving AFL football with a permanent disability.Mohr suffered a knee injury that has led to a diagnosis of “drop foot”, a condition that means he is unable to walk without a brace.
He suffered a horrific knee injury in a VFL practice match in March last year playing for Hawthorn and has undergone six operations. Two more surgeries are scheduled this year. The 31-year-old has been told he will have a lifelong disability, will never run and will be unable to work in the building industry despite recently completing a two-year course.
Mohr’s letter to the AFL requesting a lump-sum compensation payout details his journey through six surgeries: reconstructions of his anterior cruciate ligament, posterior cruciate ligament, lateral collateral ligament, an operation on his peroneal nerve, a tendon transfer and a nerve transfer.
His next surgery is scheduled for May 28, a leg realignment or osteotomy which will see his leg broken and then set back into place to ease his strain on his posterior ligament.
Mohr has no regrets about his the decision to accept Hawthorn’s offer, and says from club doctor Michael Makdissi to head of welfare Cam Matthews the club’s support has been unconditional.

I would hope so - but stranger things..... I've seen a lot of former AFL players who have been incapacitated .... If the AFLPA does one good thing, it should be to make sure the AFL has a safety net for these guys.
Actually I'd be surprised if WorkCover doesn't do it to be honest... I know if I was injured at my local office, on the job, i would be covered.... Even if it was dumb-ass self inflicted...

Really feel for the guy- have worked with someone with drop foot and it's pretty debilitating- with any luck he can get the assistance he needs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back